Bacon

can someone explain the differences between the types of bacon to me? as an aussie i only ever see the right kind, which basically just feels like eating ham
the american bacon looks better to me - but why are they different?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14893098
imdb.com/title/tt0105483/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's belly bacon vs back bacon.

Mostly fat vs mostly meat
It would be a nightmare cutting the fat off of the left ones

American bacon can be cooked to varying degrees of doneness. I doubt you could cook real bacon (what we call canadian bacon) to crispy without rendering it tough and inedible.

The image is a complete fallacy, "American" bacon is proper bacon and is way more flavorful, regardless of what obsessed europeans will tell you.
If you ever get the chance to have "streaky bacon," take it.

Im an obsessed yurop but this post is true

why would you want to cut the fat off?

this is true, its hard to make it crispy without basically deep-frying it

i want to try it, maybe a butcher somewhere has it here

>why would you want to cut the fat off?
Because fat has a horrible texture and adds nothing to the taste after the cooking process

Ask for pork belly.
It probably won't be properly cured tho.

>He doesn't know how to cook bacon
>He doesn't know that bacon grease can be used to make god-tier hash browns
Do you even cook?

What you Aussies, Brits, and Canadians are calling bacon, we just call ham.

Bacon comes from a pig's belly.

Pork is haram.

if its smoked it's bacon, if it's not smoked the it's pork belly,

Every second topic you people sound like idiots.
Stop . .just stop living in this world. No one wants to know you, watch you or exist in your world.

Bacon in australia is mostly sold as the full belly cut

A lot of this bullshit is semantics and people from Canada, America, Britain, and parts of Asia should know it.

Mostly, the difference is how much if any of the loin is included. Sometimes parts of the loin are included in American bacon but it focuses on belly meat.

No, Brit bacon is from the loin, ham is from the leg.

I'm sorry you responded before I could but yeah. A lot of American bacon looks like that, some is missing the loin section or has just a partial cut of it though.

I'm european and I've literally never even been face to face with this "real bacon"

The fat on bacon fries and crisps up, becoming delicious, so this is just not true at all. Great taste and texture, even in the less crispy side imo

People really like them to a different level of crispiness; but I think we can all agree that saving the rendered, smoked, bacon-fat is a good idea.

what? i've never seen this

Real bacon is the American kind, the other is "english bacon"

We can get both types of bacon in the uk. Streaky is what the american-style is, whereas back bacon is the other. Both can be smoked or unsmoked.

The one thing that makes British bacon better is not the cut, but the lack of being overly processed. Some american bacons are plastic-like in their appearance, and have an unnatural shade of red. Add to that the fact Americans have abominations like precooked bacon bits and bacon powder. It's just odd and makes you wonder why Americans are OK about being slowly poisoned.

Different cuts. Given the choice, "Canadian Bacon" is much healthier and flavorful. I only use the other kind in chowder, as a replacement for pancetta, etc.

Eh, not true, you can make back bacon crispy while keeping it delicious.

I've had both. They both have a lot of flavour, but I much prefer back bacon, I prefer the texture and the lower fat content.

>bacon bits and bacon powder
those aren't even made out of bacon, they are just bacon flavored products

That is not accurate. Although (pork belly) bacon is often smoked as well, the distinction is that it is cured.

If you go to the right place you can get salted & smoked bacon instead of that brined vacuum sealed shit

And if anybody decides to chime in that there is also "uncured" pork belly bacon, this is not true. It is also cured.

What? Don’t let your patriotism get in the way of your judgement. It sounds like you’re comparing cheap, shoddy, processed bacon to normal European bacon. It’s safwe to compare butcher cuts, or at least mid-tier bacon. Both bacons have their place, but American bacon is generally accepted as the better cut.

american bacon is better, in the sense that itll give all the dumb amerimutts diabetes so they die

Bacon from a male pig tastes better. Females are bitter.

Unsmoked, cured pork belly is called salt pork.

actually most of the world agrees with america on this, only other anglos disagree

Day of the rake is coming you fucking leafs

Almost. Salt pork is made from the lower part of the pork belly and the cure is longer and stronger. It is never smoked.

>That is not accurate. Although (pork belly) bacon is often smoked as well, the distinction is that it is cured.
He's right though. Thin cut stuff, euro bacon / canadian bacon is best. Thick cut, it's american bacon all the way.

Ham, you're eating ham.

You can't get that same mix of chewy/crispy all in the same bacon piece with euro bacon. THICC

THICC

THICC

fuck I never knew this.
what do American butchers/megameatfactories do with the lean end bit?

It gets turned into canadian bacon?

it's thinly sliced and cured porkbelly

>but I think we can all agree that saving the rendered, smoked, bacon-fat is a good idea.
I don't like it, the smoke flavor just overwhelms anything you make with it in my opinion. I've tried cooking eggs in it, using it for cornbread, and things like that, but the smoke flavor is too strong.

lol looks like cock and balls

DON'T CALL THE ABOMINATION ON THE RIGHT EUROPEAN BACON

ONLY ENGLISH RETARDS CALL THAT BACON

t. italian

WHICH BACON IS BEST
VOTE NOW
strawpoll.me/14893098

>no loin bacons of any kind
>no english bacon with both back and loin
>no pancetta

Shit poll.

no one was talking about loin bacon or pancetta in the thread
pancetta is disgusting anyway

Pancetta is salt incarnate to the point that there's almost no reason to have the meat. It's more a preservative than a food.

I do enjoy it wrapped inside of pastry with mild cheese with other ingredients because some of the salt leaves. The same with roulades.

Not as bad as Japanese ‘bacon’.
God that’s a fail. Any anons experienced that utter shit?

turkey bacon is fucking amazing

Just add a bit of sugar like the nips do if you want it crispy, baka gaijin.

American bacon is incredibly savory, salty, and crispy with loads of fat. Canadian bacon is kind of just alt-ham

Then son, you might as well have never been face to face with a pair of tits. It's that good.

You mad?
It’s nothing to do with crispy user.
It’s edible but cheap fake bacon is cheap fake bacon. No hiding behind that.

>more actual meat on it than murrikan bacon
That's the opposite of cheap and fake hombre

Fuck you, aussie!

Oh lawd which rock did you live under?
I lived there 10 years so I kinda got the feel of it just a little.

Post a pic of what you consider ‘top tier’ bacon from japan. If it’s what I recall, it’s nothing near top tier.

lol

Get the fuck off Veeky Forums

So Australian bacon comes in fun penis shapes?

If I have a fatty steak or pork chop, I will trim all of the fat off because I completely agree with you there, but fatty bacon is delicious. Because of how thinly it's sliced and then fried up, the fat actually gives it a great consistency and flavor.

As if America invented streaky bacon. We have it in the UK as well and we've been butchering pigs longer than you have. In terms of quality, American bacon is shit-tier, and heavily processed.

We get both types in NZ.

>complains about bacon being processed
>posts "Smoked streaky bacon"
>smoking literally a preservation process

unless you're opening the packaging and mixing things up, a package of pork doesn't have to prompt the store to throw everything out. it's not radioactive.

like i get that this is a joke (or rather i hope), but this would be like saying that the appearance of anything vaguely resembling a cross would obligate a christian to do the sign of the cross hand gesture thing. you're taking maybe one observation in one context and embarrassingly, thoroughly, misunderstanding it.

>completely unable to read the word 'heavily'
Your bacon is factory mass produced, with banned EU additives such as ractopamine. Not only that, but you also brine your bacon in sugar before smoking.

This doesn't even take into account the growth hormones that you give your pigs.

US meat is substandard.

One is bacon and one is fried ham.

No you are wrong, for it to technically be bacon, it has to be smoked, but this is rarely done today and most of the bacon you eat isn't really bacon but cured pork belly that has bean based in a smoke liquid.

>Not only that, but you also brine your bacon in sugar before smoking.
To curing uses both salt and sugar isn't that unusual. But I doubt any American manufacturer would waste money on real sugar, they put corn syrup in everything instead.

>i have to actually chew it instead of it melting apart so it cant be eaten

oy vey soyim

You don't belong in the kitchen. Please never go in a kitchen.

So fucking what?

>that caption
>please respect my retarded food rules
Lolz

>zomg so Americans really do this

The thread

that looks like it could be good

Fuck, man, that's the tastiest part. Are you retarded or a monster?

t. vegan

It gets sold separately at a higher markup.

Welcome to capitalism, comrade.

Do you guys make lamb bacon as well?

I heard that americans buy pre-cooked bacon and microwave it. do they really do this?

You're not dealing with logic, you're dealing with religious stupidity. The Jews are even worse; in an Orthodox Jew household they will have two refrigerators and two sets of cookware so that they never "mix" things that aren't "allowed" to be combined, such as milk and meats.

You can see this, briefly, in the movie "A Stranger Among Us":
imdb.com/title/tt0105483/
when the undercover detective almost puts away a carton of milk in the "wrong" fridge. According to these Orthodox loons, everything in the fridge has to be thrown out and the fridge has to get "purified" again.

I assume that the Muslim fanatics are the same.

The only reason Christians don't do this stupid shit any more is because they got un-brainwashed to at least a minor extent.

You're right! all food historians are wrong. Have a nice day.

I've seen pre cooked bacon by Boar's Head, which I believe is a Canadian company

I have seen it sold in the UK too, the fucked up thing is that it is more expensive than good butchers bacon, I wonder who is actually buying it.

lazy people.

I didn't even know such a product existed, but it doesn't shock me.

This is one of the few exceptions the american version is better.