>knife gets sharp
>when feeling the edges with a pinch, the grind feels even
>try chopping radishes
>uh oh, the edge might be uneven
>pinch along the edge with the other hand
>still feels even
>try chopping carrots
>wtf the edge feels uneven but on the opposite side

Does anybody feel the same way after sharpening, like you're never sure if the grind is completely even or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7dFFEBnY0Bo
youtube.com/watch?v=ihCgMQp6BD0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i just got a wetstone for christmas and this one has what are best described as "curbs" on either end. so when you sharpen it you have to stop suddenly or the blade will run into what looks like a parking curb. I have no idea why they put those on there. makes sharpening a huge pain in the ass but i was told they are from germany so i keep using it i guess

>"curbs" on either end
pic?

American here. I was lucky enough to inherit my great-grandfather's stone and I bought a smaller grit one later. What the fuck? Could you post a pic or link?

i wish, i was just fucking around. i wish they had a pic like that on the net though or i would have trolled you guys with it

That'a not trolling

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Are you talking about the base and the tip of the knife?

wow, what a bamboozle

Sounds like your 'coming across like an asshole' lessons have sunk in. I've got this shithead cousin everyone hates, can I send him to you?

Your radishes and carrots are just dull. Sharpen them on your whetstone first, then you'll get clean slices.

I cut my food with a $12 chef knife I got at walmart

If you're the same trolltard that's in the other thread than you should invest that $12 on cutting your wrists.

Teaching a person to use poor quality tools, and thus teaching them inefficiency and self-danger, is something to be very ashamed of. You're one of the many reasons we have shit quality steel these days across the globe.

I use 3 dollar knives sharper than anything you touch.

>those knives
>that statement
I highly doubt you touch much.

They're razor sharp. But you don't know that because you don't know shit about metallurgy.

Some youtube gibble made you look like an idiot.

here

youtube.com/watch?v=7dFFEBnY0Bo

>2017+1
>not sharpening your knives on a beltsander
youtube.com/watch?v=ihCgMQp6BD0

>Does anybody feel the same way after sharpening, like you're never sure if the grind is completely even or not?

No. I've literally never had that problem. Do you also suffer from impotence and other nĂ¼ male issues?

The fact that you're hoarding santoku's without any other blade tells me you either do one really specific job or are Silence of the Lambs level insane.

The loaded strop is acceptable though. The electric sharpener just tells me you don't give a fuck about those blades' lifespans.

And sand-down that cutting board.

I hand cut that cutting board. That's honduras fucking rosewood in the center. It'll probably poison my guests. Regardless. Those Santokus were on sale, I meant to buy them for friends and gift them. The first person I gifted them to did a Conan The Destroyer pose and cut his thumb right to the bone. 5 hours in the Emergency Room taught me not to gift knives.

I saw the fucking insides of a thumb. It looks like a Tauntaun.

That wood was going to be a guitar, but ended up a cutting board. So was that rosewood fingerboard.

You don't use a damn thing. You sharpen what are basically disposable knives for other people to use at some hibachi joint. Your job requires no skill, since all you have to do is pass the blades through a machine and then strop them.

Face it, you could be replaced by a robot, you have no education, and you will be a wage slave until death. You're a disgrace.

Other user is being a retard, but you're being a psycho.

Yeah dipshit, but I've used knives on cutlery, gouges, luthier knives. Chisels. None of this shit is new to me. I'm giving you an easier way for idiots that can't actually sharpen knives.

Didn't you get that from the outset?

Do you know the difference between Sheffield Steel and German tool steel? You're some douchebag novice trying to matter.

At least you want to matter. Maybe someday.

Samefag is the same, fag!

>luthier

This guy again. Abandon thread, everyone.

I'm the guy that called the stupid cunt a stupid cunt, didn't you see that?

here, asshole.. I know you're duller than dogshit but you should watch something you'll never do because you live in a simple life..

youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI

You're dumb garbage, but you're missing out.

>If you're the same trolltard that's in the other thread than you should invest that $12 on cutting your wrists.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I just think it's bizarre that you have such an obsessive-compulsive spaz attack at somebody who's just going to chop up an onion for dinner.

Apparently the people who have been doing this for thousands and thousands of years are all wrong because they don't autistically demand their knife be sharper than a hanzo steel.

Quit sniffing your own farts and realize you live in a fantasy world.

I find that those things never actually sharpen the knife. They take metal off, sure, but doesn't actually form an edge.

They're pretty much only for turning a beaten to shit knife into a vaguely sharp implement. Fine in a pinch, but an atrocity to anyone that actually knows how to sharpen a blade.

cool, I have one of these lying around. I'm going to try this. Thanks

Just picked up a 1500 grit wet stone but found out it's too fine for the first stage grinding work. What should I get for the 1st stone? 500? 600? 800?

I'd prefer to keep it simple and use 2 stones max...

1000 to 2000 should be fine unless you're repairing a huge chip or trying to re-bevel the knife. What brand of stone are you using? A 1500 stone should be cutting pretty fast.

500 or 600 probably. If you just want the two, you have to think of the higher grit as your finishing stone and the lower as your edge grinder. I have an 800 and 2000, works pretty well.

Wait a minute I remember this story you put them in cardboard sheaths and he sliced his finger off

I use electric, stones are a meme. This is a fact, bite me.

I would go with 600 for fixing up knives that are downright dull, you get can a knife to be very very sharp at 600. 1500 would then be used to give it that extra smooth edge.
Hell I sharpen my shittier knives that aren't worthy of high class treatment with 400 soundpaper and they slice through everything like it's nothing.

fuck meant to reply to

ITT: home cooks argue about things that not even the highest echelons of culinary arts would bother with

It's the burr mate, strop or turn the burr using your hand or a piece of soft wood, Google methodology

I mean Im no pro, but I just bought one. I dont have any decent knives, I got one from Imarku for like 30 bucks, I just wanted a sharper edge. I just cook for myself, is the difference super obvious to an amateur like me?

I got an edge pro knock off that can hold the higher quality edge pro stones. It hasn't arrived yet. Has anyone else tried one of these contraptions? I don't trust myself to hold the correct angle in both directions on a regular stone. I have lots of old knives I was gifted and most of them need to be seriously corrected.

I have one stone that's 400/1000 and one 2000/5000. I find this has great versatility. Mostly use 1000 then 2000 but if I buy a thrift store knife I repair it on the 400 and I use the 5000 on my filleting knife and sujihiki.

I just sharpen my dollar store knives on each other.

that's not sharpening, that's honing

I use these dollar store pairing knives for literally any food cutting task, including when eating and also sometimes for stiring.

I've never sharpened them.

why do you have so fucking many knifes with the same function?

I have 13 arms and use them all at once

Can I see it?

No

post feet

We always used those growing up to pick blue crabs. Sharp as a mother fuckers and so cheap they're disposable.

I keep a bunch around the house for random shit.

10/10 will always buy again

I've been stropping against high-grit whetstone to deburr and align like the Korin Knife's videos recommended.

Is that not enough for western-style knives? Do I need a separate stropping block?

Some burrs are different than others. Generic advice is just that. Try different things, leading-only strokes, strop on different materials, full length strokes instead of concentrating on just one area, etc.

VG-10 is particularly obnoxious when it comes to burrs

just buy an edge pro, theyre only like 500 bucks. Why on earth people will spend 1000+ dollars on buying 5 good knives but not 500 to maintain them for life is beyond me.

hand sharpening is a meme and inferior in every possible way to mechanically guided angels. You literally can't screw up the edge, its hair whittling sharp every time in about 5 minutes per knife.

>theyre only like 500 bucks
maybe if you buy every single accessory including the choseras and the shapton glass 16k and all those little electronic bluetooth add-ons

joke's on you, I have a chinese edgepro clone ($25) and I'm still retarded enough to fuck it up every time

>buy chinkshit
>it doesn't work
>that must mean it's edgepro's fault
lmoa

Me and my Miracle Blades are just fine.

>Tfw you spend more than $49.95 plus S&H on knives