Can someone explain to me the knife meme? I've been using this $20 dollar knife from target for about 4 years now

Can someone explain to me the knife meme? I've been using this $20 dollar knife from target for about 4 years now.
Does using big knife make one feels like a big chef?

expensive-ass knives are for shitters who dont know how to cook but want to look like they do

learn how to properly sharpen your knives and pretty much every mid-tier knife will do the job

doesn't matter what knife you use as long as it's sharp.
sometimes cheaper knives aren't too sharp, that's all i can think of

>$20 dollar

except a Bob Kramer knife those are legit

ATM MACHINE
>captcha bank gibbs

Sometimes you want a really short one, sometimes you want a longer one and sometimes you want a heavy one. Those are all you really need.

Also a serrated one.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't brought out the autists yet. Give it time.

It's also a good idea to have a serrated knife.

Knives are kitchen implements, memes are memes. Hope this helps.

this, the knife should slice the food, not your hand. If the knife is too dull you are asking to cut yourself because you are applying pressure where it doesn't need to be applied and you fuck up.

Think of it this way: you can take your $20 knife to a professional sharpener and get it as sharp as a razor blade, but you throw out safety razors after a single use because they lose their edge almost immediately.

With a higher quality knife you can use a cheap stone and steel and it will maintain a great edge, which will last through an entire night of cooking. It's hard to explain, and everyone here is just going to say, "hurr durr learn to sharpen your knives and any knife will be just as good as any other", but that's not in the least bit true. It's hard to believe before you've spent time working with a three figure knife and actually experienced the difference in quality. A good knife actually makes cutting things the opposite of a chore.

Did I get meme'd by Alton Brown when he told me to buy Shun Soras? I really like them but I don't have any comparative experience with other knives.

I don't really like Shuns, but they aren't a terrible mid-ranged option, and some people like them. That said, AB was paid to endorse them.

On the other hand, when I first got into cooking I picked up his "gear" book, and it was for the most part legit, honest recommendations. But yeah, he was just shilling for Shun.

Gibs me your PIN number

Pretty much what I figured. As I said, compared to any other knives I've used the Shuns feel like a godsend, but I've never handled knives in a similar price range to get a side by side comparison.

Ramsay said that a key to a great knife is the grip. If you're happy with yours, why care what others say?

I bought a Walmart knife that looks exactly like that one and it was awful, I basically spent half an hour with a sharpening stone and it never got as sharp as the $60 knife I now have came out of the box. I think the grind and thickness was just shit but I'm not a knife expert

Also the metal handle was hollow and made the balance feel odd

More expensives knives would have better ergonomics and better steel. It's not a big deal if you cook stuff at home but it's nice.

I have one somewhat fancy knife that I got from my grandmother, dull and beat up. I fixed it up a long time ago and now I just need to give it a small pass on some 1200 grit stone to get it to a level of sharpness that is maybe one notch below a straight razor. It also keeps that edge for a while.
I have another less fancy knife. Given the same amount of care and even more, it could reach that blinding sharpness, but it's gonna lose it very fast, because of how hard (brittle) the steel on it is. It was clearly made for people who never planned to sharpen it. In the long run, a more expensive knife would cost me far less in tedious maintenance.
When it gets to like 500$ for a knife it's probably meme level though

>Does using big knife make one feels like a big chef?
I don't understand what retarded bullshit you're even trying to say. What does size have to do with being better? Do you think people see bigger knives as "better" for some reason? There are different sized knives for different tasks. There are different quality knives for all sizes. God you are pissing me off with your retardation.

There's a cheap-ass set of Sabatiers at Costco for $23. Should I get it? The plain steel handles like in OP's pic give me some pause, since I don't think they would provide a secure grip.

I owned one knife that was wonderfully sharp, but I invariably ended up cutting myself every single fucking time I used it (literally), because either the knife was cursed or the handle was so awkward that it would twist around no matter what. Or both of course.