How do people generally feel about the translations of Iliad/Odyssey by Alexander Pope...

How do people generally feel about the translations of Iliad/Odyssey by Alexander Pope? I never seem to see his name brought up much when it comes to translations. But I checked it out, and I found the really poetic, rhyming style really appealing for these poems. What is the general consensus on the quality of his translations?

Also, I hear that Fagles is the "definitive" English language translations. Is this true, or no?

Lattimore or don't even bother

Pope's translation is beautiful but nothing like the original. I think Dryden said something to the effect of "It's definitely poetry and definitely not Homer"

Lattimore is preferred, because it keeps to the original rise and fall and sounds, along with being a clear translation. Fagles is a clear translation, but doesn't hew to the original as well.

this

but if you cant read Greek you're a pleb

sorry, I have more important things to do than to decipher fag runes. Speak English or die

Was reading a textbook translation of Hesiod's Theogony that used the word "engine" and lost a bit of my will to live. Just thought I'd share that.

>mfw i'm greek and i can read the original texts

yes

I envy you user

t. urk

I'm always of the opinion that if you're reading in English, you're not getting anything like the original Ancient Greek, no matter what people will try to say. So, get the version that fits your needs/desires. Pope is great if you want the poems as poetry; Lattimore if you want close fidelity to the meanings of the words; others emphasize other aspects well (the many, many prose-like features in the works). IMO, Pope's translations really helps one understand how these became so loved and cherished over the millenia; Lattimore isn't bad, but I think it's more suited for the academic or someone who needs no convincing that these were/are the crown jewels of Western civilization.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check out Lattimore. So is he preferred because his translations are both accurate but also flow with the sounds/poetry?

Lattimore is simply the best. I've read a few other translations of Homer and they don't even come close

dumb question, but isnt modern greek a totally different language from homeric greek? could you really read the ancient greek texts?

I am an ancient Greek scholar who can read Homer in the original. The relation between Ancient Greek and Modern Greek is like that between Anglo-Saxon and English. He would have to have studied Ancient Greek to a high degree of proficiency if he is not joking.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the great George Chapman yet.

He is accurate but if you want a quality rendering of the poem into an English poem, you should read someone else. You aren't going to be reading Greek, you're going to be reading English, so I would suggest finding one that reflects well in English. But that is, of course, your choice.

>Also, I hear that Fagles is the "definitive" English language translations. Is this true, or no?
It's the one that is currently popular.

That was not Dryden, but Richard Bentley. Samuel Johnson called Pope's translation "a performance which no age or nation could hope to equal."

Curiously enough, Dryden himself made a translation of the first book of the Iliad which is truly excellent. I cannot remember now who it was that said, if he had continued that translation then Pope's would never have been necessary. He also rendered the parting of Hector and Andromache into English. It is mighty fine verse.

It's the opposite, learn other languages or die buried in fake texts;)

Shakespeare BTFO

Pope is a reimagining

Lattimore is for maximum literalism while still maintaining a poetic sensibility. If you're taking a classics course at your university that hasn't learned the Greek you will almost certainly read Lattimore. But if you're just looking for Veeky Forums? Eh.

Fitzgerald is the best of the modern translations, I think.

It was Pope himself who said that. That was also why he never attempted to translate the Aeneid.

Fagles is a nearly flawless English translation. He maintaist a rhythm and poetry while staying close to a literal translation. In my opinion, attempting to make the lines rhyme involves too large a manipulation of the translation

They are, but by just knowing modern Greek you already know the basics for Ancient Greek, and studying ancient Greek is mandatory for 5 years during high school. Normally all Greeks should be able to read the ancient texts, but almost no one pays attention at class.

heh

What about fitzgerald?

Making Homer rhyme should be considered a crime.

So close...

Chapman is great.
>when your poem translating a poem is so good other poets write poems about your poem

Lattimore emulates Homer's original poetic metre, as well as being very accurate.

What about Hobbes?