Are chef hats a meme...

Are chef hats a meme? I keep seeing chefs wearing these and I've started cooking my meals myself lately and I'm not sure of their purpose. What chefs hat do you wear while making a nice meal?

It's just silly uniform stuff, I guess if keeps hair out of the way but it's supposed to show different ranks within the kitchen based on height and the folds are supposed to show how many different ways a chef can cook and egg, but it's really just tradition and stuff and by the way I literally just Googled all of that which probably would have been easier for you user

Keeps your hair and sweat from getting into the food. I have a red one similar to this but slightly different style.

thanks for the help bros but im still on the fence

The reason to wear a hat is to keep your hair hidden and thus less likely to get in your food. As for why they look the way they do, don't YOU want your hat to be fancy if you're going to be wearing one?

Ever wonder why seasoned chefs are so efficient at cooking?

Their bigger hats store ingredients in them. You haven't seen shit until you've watched a 60 year old Frenchman make a hat omelette.

That looks gay as fuck

>Are chef hats a meme?

No, they're hats.

I like that at some Japanese places the cooks wear bandanas instead

>meme

As much as I enjoy traditionalism, a bandana makes more sense than a floppy hat.

I got one of those hats for Christmas. Of course my grandma doesn't know what they mean. I think I'm gonna be Chef Boyardee for Halloween cause that's the only use I can find for it

The floppy hat is really gay and NEVER worn by anyone who is serious about cooking...not in my city
Last place i worked requiring hats issued either a toque or the bonnet. Without fail...
We all went with toques except for the mexicans. It was really weird. We had a brigade of educated cooks and chefs for ala cart then a bunch of mexicans that did breakfast buffets and banquets.

more hair + shit goes into the food from arranging/moving your hat. If you want to be a pan monkey with a stupid hat then go for it, but no chef worth their weight in salt would be caught dead in one,.

The hat boosts a chef's power just like a wizard's hat

Where else are you gonna hide your rat?

isn't it tall so all the cooks can see where the chef is in the kitchen?

Well they ARE for chefs

For the heat, it is store in the hats and the chef release it as flavour.

Everyone always knows where the chef is in the kitchen from the loud yelling

>tfw I'm not a chef but cook burgers at an airport cafe
>They make me wear chef whites and an apron usually, as well as a black skullcap
>Recently the decided to make us wear chef hats
>Not only do I feel ridiculous, I'm also not trained enough to even unironically put something like a chef hat on, it feels dishonest