How do people write I don't understand

How do people write I don't understand
How could you ever have that much to say about anything

What's separates an adult idea to a teenage drivel? I'm pretty sure every thought in my head is drivel

Other urls found in this thread:

gmsdk12.org/Downloads/Thinking as a Hobby2.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can tell you're a girl. Please be my girlfriend.

the secret about writing is that it generally takes a long time to germinate and actually writing is a necessary condition of having ideas about things. Thinking can produce nice images and all, but the real weight of anything comes when you sit down. Generally speaking, forget about your self and let the thinking occur mediated through a fictitious character. Note: this character may takes years to develop.

Well you see I like to think about stuff.

And sometimes when I'm going to sleep or pacing around my room I like to construct make-believe worlds in my head and when I have a good idea what it would be like I write about what the people in it are doing.

In terms of fiction writing, you let an idea in your mind evolve into something you like. Writing is one part typing words and three parts daydreaming about your world.
I've been thinking and creating an outline for my novel for nearly six months. I have characters, themes, the general storyline, and the ending already placed into a timeline inside my head. I've written ~20 pages of how I'm actually going to write my book.
A lot of ideas start out as 'teenage drivel,' you just have to be imaginative enough to interconnect your different ideas together in meaningful ways.

This guy writes.

But yeah it's amazing how much the material/ideas/thoughts/insights develop on their own out of the storyline and the characters interacting with one another. A huge component of it is having characters who are alive in your head - their conflicts create new things all the time.

The only writing I can do is bad purple prose because that's all school taught me and said was good. I don't even enjoy writing in this way

I wish I had a brain in my skull, I wish I could be like you guys and had thoughts and opinions to express

Golding's essay "Thinking as a Hobby" sounds like it might interest you. I'm not saying I agree with everything, but it appealed to a teenage me who was asking questions like yours.
gmsdk12.org/Downloads/Thinking as a Hobby2.pdf

Say enough drivel until you get something.

t.David Foster Wallace

It starts with characters. Any story worth shit is about somebody who wants something.

All the worldbuilding in the universe won't make up for a story full of gray people who don't want anything or care about anything or try to do anything.

Write about characters you give a shit about (because if you don't nobody else will) doing a thing you want to read about.

So basically I should give up?

The
highshool writing makes writing seem like it has more rules and is more scripted than it does and actually serves to hurt and strangle the process when you actually want to write a story

But how do we people write all those 2deep4u books that Veeky Forums likes that makes feel all smart and enlightened inside

They don't follow this guide

No, not at all. Golding advanced past the stage three thought, and so can you. A consciousness of how your own mind works and how the minds of others work can do one a lot of good, and already serves to better your mind.
(Also, a wee bit smug saying that he's on the highest plane, don't you think?)

Maybe I'm just not cut out for it.
I've always thought of myself as a workman or a soldiers brain in the body of someone who found themself in academia largely on accident

The only thing I'm good at is following orders and directions and it's all I've ever aspired to be my entire life

Genius makes its own rules. For we mere plebs who must labor in the fiction mines, making do with what talent we can find must suffice.

First you need to live in the 18th century and get a servant to do everything else for you

1. read the whole library
2. actually try to write
3. be self aware to an unhealthy level. (if you're not already like this good chance you're not writing one of THOSE books. It doesn't mean you can't write equally good ones though.)
4. Keep track of your dreams, both nighttime and daytime. This is what fiction is made of. Again, if you're creatively limited write realist fiction. There have been many great writers who have done this. (see Dostoevsky who uses passion as his primary tool rather than creativity.)
5. Try to understand everyone. It's not the place of the writer to make judgements on individuals, their only task is to understand why.
6. Become a wordsmith. Know pretty much every word in the dictionary and then some. Become a miner of obscure and perfect words.
7. Combine words in sentences and see how even random words together make impressions.
8. Try to synthesize this process with A. the characters you have created B. The dreams that you have spun for your character to exist in and C. use the interconnections of the various words expand the process of A and B. Part C is this most important.
9. Write down observations and sentences that come to you, no matter how strange and decontextualized.
10. Do the same for ideas. You can tell that some of the best stories and books began as a silly old thought that the writer expanded on.

I kept a dream journal once (I like /x/)
Reviewing it made me feel such an ache that I instinctively and unconsciously tore all those pages out and threw them away

writing is a waste of time, like making video games
just cause it enjoy reading doesn't make you a writor