Why is it...

Why is it, that belief in death is seen as rational while disbelief in death is seen as irrational in contemporary western culture, even though one is not more provable nor probable than the other? Any (contemporary) good books on this that take a "pro-life" perspective?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OGA0Yo-SoPM&index=13&list=PLEA18FAF1AD9047B0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because one has empirical verification behind it and the other doesn't

reincarnation is real
carry on

>one has empirical verification behind it
which one?

I mean you could say that you were 'dead' before you were born because you don't remember anything but I don't remember being born either.

this but probably not in the mythological/religious sense
I can't think of an example of something that can cease to exist without taking on another form
consciousness itself would therefore likely be recycled so the life of a newborn would be an amalgamation of dead souls so to speak

What do you mean? I can define death in such a way that there's no question about it. How are you using the word?

>one is not more provable nor probable than the other
What a retarded statement
Disbelief in death is seen as irrational because things die every day and have for as long as life has existed
Assuming death is an illusion requires a massive leap of faith based on nothing but what you want to be true

>I can define death in such a way that there's no question about it
please do

because you die

Death you fucking dumbass, are you seriously denying the existence of dead people?

Do you really think he means death of the body you fucking moron?

>because things die every

What else is there?

Because humans have a natural aversion to death, and the rare few that actually kill themselves do it because they despise life and suicide is just the better of two evils? Believing in God sort of makes sense, as universe at least seemingly demonstrates agency and/or appears holistic[1]; even many zero-input hypotheses (i.e. ones that do not change decision-making processes, be it predeterminism, jarbrains or simulation theories) have at least some explaining power, just as their negations have explaining power.[2] For belief in death, at least in the sense of discontinued consciousness, to wane, our priors and meta-biases should change radically to a point where the result will have nothing to do with rationality - except, of course, it is still going to be called that.

[1] Solipsism was much more popular in the 18th century for this exact reason - in current times, it is horribly incoherent to typical priors about reality. God is still going strong, though, and with the object ethics and esthetics growing ever more popular, we might see a rise in Spinozian interpretation of God.
[2] Those statements are not contradictory.

>newborn would be an amalgamation of dead souls so to speak

Stop sniffing glue friend

>why do people think language exists? It's just as likely there is no language
>that's retarded, everyone uses language every day
>prove it faggot maybe it just LOOKS like we do

I can prove that language exists because it is part and parcel of my experience. I use it everyday in my thoughts and social interactions. Death on the other hand is by definition outside my experience. Everything I experience is life. This experience of life is framed by two points of uncertainty: Birth (and early childhood), which I do not recall as it is outside of my memory and only accessible to me through stories and documents, and physical death, which is a complete unknown - it is uncertain whether my experience of life will continue after this point or just end, and there is no evidence to support either theory.

>What else is there?
Idealism :^)

>there is no evidence to support either theory

There is plenty of evidence if you will start reading books not written by people from more than 300 years ago. You have chemicals that are interacting in your entire body, affecting your moods and thoughts. You have needs such as hunger and sex drive. You have certain genetical predispositions. You possibly have malfunctions that can impair your cognitive functions. Take all of these away and what remains of you?

Also watch this course to understand why life after death is a logical impossibility:
youtube.com/watch?v=OGA0Yo-SoPM&index=13&list=PLEA18FAF1AD9047B0

So I'm supposed to believe death is real? Even though I have not experienced it for myself yet?

I won't watch a 48 minute psychology lecture on personal identity, I already finished my psychology degree. Just what does he say that would imply that "life after death" is a logical impossibility? Furthermore your above statement does not prove anything as no causal relationship between mental and physical phenomena can be established, only their correlation can be proven. Even if it could however, this still wouldn't have any bearing on the questions of the boundaries of life, as experience could very well take some different form if divorced from the life of the body. You can not prove of disprove these things, they are literally outside of the realm of empiricism.

Best and simplest way to put it.

>I won't watch a 48 minute psychology lecture on personal identity
Then fuck off and admit that you don't actually want to hear any reasons. That's not even psychology, it's about the metaphysics of being.

>no causal relationship between mental and physical phenomena can be established
What? What even is the purpose of the mind, if not to tell the body what to do? I thought you were a dualist but you're just a retard.

>experience could very well take some different form if divorced from the life of the body
Exactly you moron. Maybe experience will take a completely different form without the body, but that is exactly what death means. Your life as you know it ceases. It is irrelevant if something else will occur, as you will never have the same experiences again. Watch that course (in its entirety, not just the lecture, because you seem to need it) to learn why that doesn't matter at all from the point of view of your personal identity.

Just kill yourself mate. How real does death feel now, eh?

>Maybe experience will take a completely different form without the body, but that is exactly what death means
So we were in agreement all along and were just using different definitions of death? How quaint.

99% of all philosophical arguments are about semantics. You fucks are both boring and stupid.

I don't think we were quite in agreement because you probably are of the opinion that after physical death you will still keep something from your bodily life, but the logical deduction from what we both seem to agree on is that is impossible.
We live our lives under present conditions and death puts a stop to that. All of your memories will be lost after death, and so all of yourself will be lost as well.

so WHAT is after?? Tell me because i simply cannot imagine it. I could imagine eternal
and extreme suffering (trust me i smoked spice once), eternal boredom, but for life of me i cannot imagine myself not existing

Is sex real? You haven't experienced that for yourself either

Sure you can. Think about it this way: do you remember everything you did 15 years ago? Will you remember this day 15 years from now? You are in constant change and every day some parts of you die. A more extreme example: you could imagine hitting your head and losing all of your memories, right? Then you would practically die.

"O Death in Life, the days that are no more!"

>you probably are of the opinion that after physical death you will still keep something from your bodily life
Well, no. I'm not. Still, I'd like to witness the purely logical deduction of the impossibility of that, which strikes me as quite impossible.

but remembering is not the same as experiencing in present state

Yes, but you need to remember in order to talk about survival. Memory is essential to our consciousness.

Watch the course.

>Watch the course.
Okay, I will once I have some free time. Thanks.

The real question is : should we getting away from it or rushing towards it ?

Go squish a bug and tell me its not dead...
Or better yet find a high place to jump from...