Tfw philosophy was only a transient interest for your autistic mind and you fucked up by actually going for a major in...

>tfw philosophy was only a transient interest for your autistic mind and you fucked up by actually going for a major in it
>tfw no motivation left to go through ancient philosophy even
Anyone else have these feels?

its never too late to go to trade school or deliver pizzas

No because I'm not a fucking loser.

You may not be interested in Plato anymore, but Plato is interested in you:

Yes, I said, he lives from day to day indulging the appetite of the hour; and sometimes he is lapped in drink and strains of the flute; then he becomes a water-drinker, and tries to get thin; then he takes a turn at gymnastics; sometimes idling and neglecting everything, then once more living the life of a philosopher; often he-is busy with politics, and starts to his feet and says and does whatever comes into his head; and, if he is emulous of any one who is a warrior, off he is in that direction, or of men of business, once more in that. His life has neither law nor order; and this distracted existence he terms joy and bliss and freedom; and so he goes on (Republic, Book VIII).

>tfw I can't stop being like that
Sometimes I think I'm not even a consciouss being

you aren't conscious until you choose to be broseph. free will works the same way, you need to actually exercise it in order to have it

I've had similar thoughts. That my soul is just a passive witness to all the things I do and think.

How lucky, I wish I could major in philosophy, but I live in a backwater shithole town that doesn't have that degree.

I did the reverse with literature.

>always liked to read (a lot, especially the classics)
>also like engineer
>go study engineering because i figure it'll get me a job
>now have a graduate degree but totally hate the idea of becoming an engineer
>looking for a job but not really because i have no idea what i can apply for

In hindsight I should have studied business. They shouldn't let 17-year-olds decide on their own futures without forcing them to at least think about it.

I'm in physics and had these feelings in 3rd and 4th semester. I still did the necessary work and now it's getting more interesting again. Now go and do your work, change your major or just leave uni and do some other job. If you don't do this I hope you live in a country with cheap education.

Yea, funny you say that.
>Changed my major to philosophy from STEM this summer.
>had second Ancient Greek class last night
>first week we spent class trying to define sandwhich and no in the class has heard of a language game. So what, nbd
>second week, discuss theseus ship. >Most of class argues in favor of the ship having a personality or soul.
>discuss euthyphro. Kid takes up most of class trying to show that Socrates is arguing himself into paradox
>point out that he is just showing E that E should avoid circular arguments. S is merely pointing out as well that E is only giving a property of piety rather than a definition.
>professor never tells the students they are wrong. He watches rick and morty. Brings up climate change to show that objective facts can be interpreted as subjective
>get home
>regret life. One hour left in add/drop week
>fuck it
>go back STEM with thirty minutes left on the clock

Hope it works out

Why dont just ace every class and become the GOAT academic of the university since they are such massive plebs

Your philosophy department sounds shitty. What school do you go to?

Not a great one. Had to transfer there for financial reasons too so it makes it even worse.
I can't tell if there is a sarcastic undertone here but being in class with these people is just terrible and not worth it. I'd rather struggle in math, something I'm really only okay at, than waste my time pretending like I'm not mikes ahead of the rest of the class. If the professors were cool, it'd be different, but they're the meme kind, the types that everyone here talks about.

>>first week we spent class trying to define sandwhich
Kek, do you go to Veeky Forums university?
Hot dogs are sandwiches by the way

Don't you know OP, the second you study and work towards making an interest your full time job, You start to hate it, happened to me with music so I went back to science.

nice blog faggot, back to with you

>start with the Greeks
Is a completely autistic thing to do, anything important is mentioned later.
You should start with logic, math and natural science, Then move on to philosophy. If you want to do any serious work. Unless you are going to a very prestigious school, chances are undergraduate philosophy is a complete joke. Unless circle-jerking over a bunch of irrelevant bullshit for 4 years is your idea of "philosophical rigor"

>start with logic
m8...

Philosophy comes before natural sciences and pretty much everything
Kys

>start philosophy without understanding the axiomatic foundations of philosophy.
Wew lad.

Yes. I'm not really interested in anything and it's time to stop pretending I am. I just want to die.

Why is this board like this?

WTF is wrong with Veeky Forums lately? There's been a huge influx of plebs, stemlords, and fedoras this week.

brutal

tfw he described me. I'm such a shudra. And I feel so expired, exhausted and tired that I cannot even think of changing. What for.

Okay brainlet, go on and tell me why I should "start with the Greeks" I see that as asking me to scale an insurmountable ivory tower when there is an elevator right around the corner. You must be confusing "the philosophical classics" with "philosophy"
Sure starting with the Greeks is good if you want to be mediocre enough to circle jerk with your buddies. It's mostly a waste of time if you want to do philosophical analysis in modernity. There is always some classics bookworm to write an anthology, So you don't have to waste time that could be better spent being a philosopher.
In general you need to understand natural science before you can understand philosophy. You must know nature before you can know the nature of nature. Sure the interface is complex with epistemology and the philosophy of science. Logic, science, and math are the tools we use to describe and model truth, you must know the truth before you can analyze it, duh.

I don't argue with idiots. Does that rustle your jimmies? I bet it does.

I am devastated

Not the guy you're arguing with.

I agree a lot of greek philosophy is outdated. Nevertheless, there are certain books (Politeia, Nicomachean Ethics and De anima come to mind) which are still state-of-the-art.
And there's a problem with:
>There is always some classics bookworm to write an anthology, So you don't have to waste time that could be better spent being a philosopher.
Because a lot of said anthologies are really, really bad (a lot of those guys are Graecists without much of a philosophical background) - and especially Politeia is really, really hard to understand. There's a reason Whitehead said all of western philosophy is "a series of footnotes to Plato".

Partially why I've been a NEET for the past year. You know, on top of the mental illness. I just don't want to end up like you. Or maybe I do, you might be better off than me.

Not a big deal. If you actually did well studying philosophy you can get a job almost anywhere dealing with information and systems. Just try to get some experience.

>studying philosophy you can get a job almost anywhere
chinny reckon

i dunno, i'm doing compsci and wish i could add philosophy (and math) to my curriculum. Studying it formally would be so beneficial to anyone.

>major in philosophy because of an interest in mostly modern and contemporary philosophers
>hegel, nietzsche, kant, benjamin, adorno, etc are my thing
>first couple of years is all ancient stuff
>''awww man that's gonna be boring''
>start actually reading and studying plato, aristotle, the pre-socratics, the tragedies, the epicurians, the stoics, etc
>shit's fucking dope
>now unsure whether I should focus my research on the ancients, or if I should wait until I start to see the moderns to see if I like them better

anyone else has this feel?

also op, just switch majors. not everything's for everyone.