I have some new york strip steaks and I'm going to try pan-searing them. But...

I have some new york strip steaks and I'm going to try pan-searing them. But, this would be my first time cooking a steak and I'd be using this recipe
myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-seared-strip-steak
Any tips?

I was pretty intimidated when I first started cooking steaks, definitely botched them the first couple of times. If you got a thick enough cut and do exactly as is described it'd be very hard to fuck it up.

Im not even going to look at the recipe.

Heat pan.
While the pan is heating season the meat liberally with salt and pepper.
When the pan is very hot add a bit of oil(not olive).
Let the oil get hot but not smoking.
Place the steak.
Do not fuck with it.
After 4 minutes flip it.
Go another 4 minutes.

This will give you a roughly med-rare to medium steak depending on thickness and your degree of retardation. If the meat is over 1.5" thick or you want it well done then finish in the oven for 6 minutes at 400.

These times and temps are guestimates...individual results will vary depending on your experience and equipment. For typical home equipment including a heavy-bottom pan this should get you close.

>intimidated by the prospect of cooking a steak

God damn numales are pathetic

Recipe looks good. High heat, couple minutes on each side. Butter bit isn't strictly necessary but it'll help. Get a meat thermometer so you know when it's done.

Look buddy if I was making six figures a year and could afford prime ribeye every day I probably wouldn't care about how much I fucked up one or two steaks. But on the few occasions where I am able to budget a steak into my groceries, you're damn right I'm gonna be a bit nervous about possibly screwing up. I'm not anymore cause I've cooked plenty and I know what I'm doing, but for most people steak is not a cheap meal and you don't want to fuck up something expensive.

i wouldn't cook it as long as he wants you to with how hot you're probably going to have your pan. I'd take it off a little early and put it under some aluminum foil. It'll continue cooking under the foil so don't worry about consuming a raw steak on accident.

Listen to this man OP. This is all you need.

Where do you live that you have to factor steak into a budget? I mean yeah steak isnt "cheap" but I find decent porterhouse and ribeye all the time for 7 to 11 per pound(US). Thats on sale of course but ya just look around and one store or another is doing it.

Hes not going to get the pan as hot as he should...no one does their first time.

>looks for steaks on sale

It's like we were seperated at birth user. I keep telling people 'Check the manager's special area of the meat Dept whenever you go shopping.' but they don't listen, they never listen. Got a 2 pack of porterhouses that way once for $3.99 a pound, cashier thought I was pulling a scam.

It turned out more done than I wanted but that's better than raw I suppose.

no it's not OP, no it's not. an undercooked steak can be put back on or put in an oven to finish. an overcooked steak is RUINED.

are those fucking strawberries?

strawberries are pretty common in salad, they're pretty good.

this

>overcooked.
Well shit OP how thin is that steak?
Had i known you were cooking some waffle house breakfast steak i would have given you better times. I assumed it was at least an inch thick. Sorry. You got a good sear.

>ny strip
>not ny strip

>crank heat up as high as it goes
>sear each side 30 seconds and flip with tongs
>repeat until proper internal temp
>if the steak is thick enough make sure to sear the sides a bit too
>butter and aromatics last

not that hard

Why not olive, I thought that was the go to?

What??? Not for searing a steak.

olive oil is fine for steak.
>inb4 you misquote some smoke points.

>30 seconds
Isnt going to do shit to a steak

>repeat

>ive never used real olive oil or properly cooked a steak

Well i'm sorry you haven't, you should try it sometime.

>i cant cook

>he doesn't flip his steak like a modernist cook.
Stop getting your cooking tips from a 50 year old alcoholic who has been in the business too long.

I mean, that's what it said on the packaging. It was still good tho

Why would you stand there baby sitting meat when you can use that time to work on something else. You have obviously never worked the line in a decent restaurant because if the sous chef walked up on you tonging your meat you would be fired at the end of service.
Same approach should be applied at home...finish your sides...wash some dishes...drink a beer. Dont just stand there flipping meat when it does nothing to improve the steak.

Looks like a ribeye.

It's weird how restaurant workers have pride, instead of shame for being failures.

>i dont work in a restaurant...havent for years. But i still know how to cook and dont stand there repeatedly flipping meat like an amateur.

>when you can use that time to work on something else.
Because I do that as the steak rests; you do rest your steak or has your chef not taught you that part yet?
>it does nothing to improve the steak.
I'm not here to train you.
learn to use meme arrows.

"I'm shit at getting a good seer" steak guy dropping into a steak thread. I imagine this user is less worried about searing steak so much as he wants to make sure he does it right.

Heaven forbid he post what he does and he gets torn to shreds in here.

He posted his work. Do try and keep up.

This but make sure that the steak is at room temperature before you cook it, to ensure an even cook.

Afterwards, be sure to rest it for a few minutes before cutting and eating.

>waffle house breakfast steak
I chuckled

looks good, would definitely eat and totally wouldn't shittalk you on Veeky Forums afterwards.

>to insure even cooking.
People are always parroting this line. What does it mean? How is my steak going to cook "unevenly" if it starts at 45f rather than 70f? And what is uneven cooking? Is one side going to be rare and the other side well? Maybe you mean the steak will be seared and well done on the outside but cooler and nearly raw in the middle? Yeah that sounds gross.

Yea, didn't look like a proper ny strip to me iether, maybe even a ribeye there. NY strips shrink up looking exactly the same shape, due to their fat placement.

OP, your use of southern living was a spot on decision. They are tested/vetted recipes with proper techniques and advice. Looks yummy with your salad. Since you stated they came out undercooked, what happpened there is your steaks were not the same cut, weight or thickness as the directions stated to use. Also you likely had a nice pan that held the heat well, or you didn't just loosely tent it, you sealed that up like a lid at the end. I'm pretty flexible as far as medium, don't care much either way, and I know a steak like ny strip or ribeyes are so nicely marbled that they end up juicy and tender even if well done. *shrug*

Salad looked yummy, and was quite seasonal too.

hmm, i'm thinking about getting a couple of steaks to try that reverse sear method. maybe i'll get lucky and find a sale. will post here if i do.