How does one get into bartending?

How does one get into bartending?

First step is to drop out of arts school

kekken

I'm international and need a second job :(

be a cool and attractive person and know a little bit about mixing the 10 most standard drinks

You need

Various spirits
Measuring units
Shaker and strainer
Ice machine or access to ice
Some fancy glasses
Some juices
Some carbonated drinks
Fruit, knife, and chopping board

Then you need to read some cocktail recipes, paying attention to measurements

Start off with easy ones like Tom Collins, bloody marys, screwdrivers

Read lots of restaurant drinks menus (the recipe will be wrong, but it tells you what's popular)

what are these 10 basic drinks?

>hit rock bottom
>abandon all hopes and dreams
>be a bartender instead of killing yourself
>?
>no one profits

Work at the door or as a bar back until they let you bartend. Bartend there for a year. Quit and bartend anywhere you want provided your first job isn't shit.

>pretentiousmegafaggot: the job
Fuck shit up, but get pissy when you get criticized because you're a professional, a scientist, and an artist. A mixologist.

Moscow Mule
Manhattan/Old Fashioned
Whiskey Sour
Rum and Coke
Mojito
Long Island
Martini
Margarita
Gin and Tonic
Wildcard

I'm guessing here, and obviously depends on where you are in the world.

I have never met a person like this.

If you're in Australia, learn how to pull a beer tap and how to pour Coke into spirits and you're pretty much set.

Actually the opposite. I'm Australian in America. Someone wuggested I bartend due to my accent: that people woukd eat it up

So is bartending basically mixing alcohol with juice, soft drinks & syrup?

And if you want to be fancy frost the rim of the glass and stick a wedge of fruit at the top?

they probably would

Also Australian, o/s people eat aussie accents up. It's hilarious, I gave blood the other day (UK) and the largesse nurse kept coming on to me and asking me about snakes and spiders.

depends on the bar, if you're at a dive, they're just there to get drunk in a comfy spot away from the house

if you're at a legit bar you'll need to know how to make drinks

I went overseas once and nobody even commented on my Australia accent. Maybe you have to not be ugly as well?

Well I don't rate myself too highly...

I work as a barista (kinda why I want to do bartending, it is similar) and people never shut up about my Aussie accent. Then again I'm from the bush so it may be thicker.

>where are you from?
>oh mah gawd, I love your voice
>what part of great britain are you from?

The worst though was this interaction when I worked for Starbucks
>Are you from new zealand?
>no
>so you are faking your accent?
>no
>women looks at me as if I offended her

This is true. In a dive just ask for a beer/wine or a shot. Asking them to use the 5 year old opened vermouth and blow the dust off the garnishes box isn't a recipe for a good drink.

fucking seppos man, fuck.

Apply at a bar.

Isn't it one of those weord jobs that only people with experience are hired?

That's actually kinda true. With an Aussie accent, you'll get panties with phone numbers written on them as tips, guaranteed.

There are "mixology" schools that will rip you off and teach you a bunch of drinks. They supposedly have contacts with a lot of bars and can help you with placement. I mostly think that's bullshit, and that they're just ways to scam people out of some money, but if you can't learn drinks from reading a book and can't figure out how to go around to bars and ask for jobs, then maybe they'll be worth it.

One issue, what's your visa status? A lot of visas don't allow you to work. You might have to stay under the table and under the radar. Avoid working at places with shitloads of illegals so you don't get caught up in an ICE raid.

No, just read a cocktail book, memorize how to make the most common ones (mojitos, appletinis, other chick drinks), and then dress sharp and go to some clubs during mid-afternoon when they're getting ready.

My 100% legal to work in Stateside. Thinking that maybe I shoukd just apply to a shitty chain like Olove Garden or OUTBACK steakhouse (kill me)

Every posting for them I've ever seen said you need years of experience tho.

Yeah, some types of jobs you don't look for ads. You just turn up and ask if they need people. The service industry is a lot of them.

You're most likely going to want to start at a restaurant bartending. No straight up bar will hire you off the street with no experience under any circumstances, unless you are an extremely attractive woman, and/or a long time regular that isn't a degenerate. It may seem like a trendy, relaxed, job but bartending gets real old real fast. I did it for 4 years before I just got too tired of dealing with drunk people.

Get any job in a restaurant with a bar. Front of house preferably. Show up and do your job competently. Be a team player. Learn the menus. Ask questions. Once you prove yourself express interest in bartending.

My brother did that, I think originally it was just to have a job during school but then he was good at it so it turned up into being food and beverage director at various large hotels around the country. He got out of it because it became crap, that is full of shit.

You come across as a complete faggot including stupid marketing buzzwords. If you don't have any skill then you suck and wont make it in anything.

dont believe anything thats said here:

>go to different bars you could imagine working at
>ask for jobs
>score one at about the 4th bar
>be runner for a short time
>move to bar
>get told the drinks
>once you change to another bar youll start in the bar position

or you fake having worked bar before, just dont pretend you worked in the same town already, gastro is well connected. unless you apply at a high end cocktailbar nobody expects you to know any drinks

You need a degree in mixology.

By working your way up from barback or by being a roastie willing to show clevage

By working your way up from barback or by being a roastie willing to show clevage

Bartender here, some shit tier bars will hit and train you with no experience (that's how I learned) or you can work as a barback and they teach you when it's super dead and you get like 10/20% of total tips, or you can risk going to bartender school. I know ABC is reputable but you spend money and it takes like 2 weeks. Also get a cocktail ingredient/app makes life easier when some hipster dickhead orders some obscure drink, or you forget how to make a long island. But I worked at a shitty bar for a few months then upgraded once I knew how to manage it properly.

And how do you build skill, retard?
What exactly is so offensive about "do your fucking job, do more than the minimum, show interest in learning"?

I've been a cocktail bartender for around 6(ish) years, its the easiest job to do okay, but a hard job to do great.

This guy has nailed it.

Never EVER use this word. Its like a chef calling themselves a flavour scientist.

I've never found a consistent app myself, I reccommend Imbibe.com and DiffordsGuide.com, both brilliant resources.

I also don't recommend schools or bar courses. Every bar works a little bit different, and every bar will expect you to relearn and conform to their method. Anything useful those courses teach you, you'll pick up in the first few days of working anyway.

Do you want it to progress past a paycheck? If so buy cocktail books, go to other bars and ask why they do things a certain way, watch cocktail and bartending seminars online etc etc, just be an absolute sponge for knowledge.

Any literal retard should be able to bartend.
Almost everything popular is simple ratios.

They're looking for very attractive and mildly charismatic people.

Is it bad that I romanticize bartending? Not op btw

Yes. Its a fuck awful job that you have to be mentally ill to enjoy. I love it.

fail at life and need a job. That's my story at least, might not be everyone's story though.