What are riblets and are Applebee's riblets even actual riblets?

What are riblets and are Applebee's riblets even actual riblets?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TY24Y_Pnr7o?t=1m10s
youtube.com/user/ImportFood
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who cares go for the tendies

Ribs for tastelets

Idk dude

those look dire desu

Okay, I gotta ask.

After cooking my meals at home more I finally went out to get things at fast food restaurants.

What in the sweet Jesus is up with food being fried into rocks?! Any place I seem to go to overcooks the holy shit out of fried food.

>going to applebee's for anything besides $1 long islands in december

Don't know, never been a fry cook, but it's probably a combination of not wanting it to be undercooked and multitasking. So as long as it doesn't have BURNT spots then I guess it's"good"? That's my guess

>What are riblets
part of the spare rib, it's scraps after you cut spare ribs into st louis ribs.
So above the white line in pic.

So, doodoo

I mean the Taco Bell(s) near me even burn the shit out of the gordita shells. Now that's talent!

If you think spare ribs are doodoo.
which would mean you're retarded.

You make poopie, user?
Call for mom to help you wipe clean.

more like 1% long islands

>talking out of my ass
Try them sometime, you worthless shitstain. Then come back and cry to me.

Angry drunk alert!

Except I'm sober, and I don't give a shit that you're shit. Just sayin'.

If you're sober now, I can only imagine how you get sitting at the Applebee's bar getting wasted on 27 $1 Long island iced teas. How many have you been banned from?

This is the lamest and tamest bait, friendo. I just feel bad for you.

I'm being sincere my nigga

I think riblets are the spine bones or something.

Applebee's Wing Night. Literally the only reason to ever entertain the idea of going to Applebee's.
A couple of years ago, it used to be an amazing 25 cent per wing. You had to order at least 10, but who would complain about 10 boneless wings for $2.50?
Hell, we even ordered to-go boxes just to have some for the next day. Always tipped. The waitress loved us. Everyone met up there after work and we closed the place down.
You had to close the place down, because wing night only lasted from midnight to 1am.

It didn't last though. Niggers would constantly start bar fights or just flat out dine-n-dash or at least not tip.
Ruined it for everyone.

mom occasionally buys one of those fuckers.

i'm bad at trimming them and finding uses for the scraps.

Imagine ALL your best adult memories happening inside an Applebees.

Riblets are prepared by butchers by cutting a full set of spare ribs approximately in half. This produces a set of short, flat ribs where the curved part of the rib is removed and gives them a more uniform look. Loin back ribs don't always have this removed. When not removed they have a rounded look to them and are often referred to as baby back ribs. Another product (imprecisely) called riblets is actually the transverse processes of the lumbar vertebrae. Riblets used to be thrown out by butchers, but have become popular due to their excellent flavor and lower cost.

Button ribs (or feather bones) are often confused with riblets mostly because Applebee's sells these as "riblets". In fact, what Applebee's sells is found just past the ribs near the back bone, just underneath the tenderloin. This cut of meat actually has no bones, but instead has "buttons" of cartilaginous material with meat attached

Imagine ALL your best adult memories happening on Veeky Forums.

Never held a "fry cook" position in a restaurant, but have been in the industry for ~30 years. While you CAN order raw breaded chicken tenders, I'd wager most places buy the fully cooked breaded chicken fingers. Way less risk for food poisoning from raw chicken, and the one corporate restaurant I worked at used the pre-cooked ones.
So taking that they are already cooked and just need to be crisped/re-heated in a fryer that's most likely hovering around 365F (give or take 10 degrees), anything more than ~2 minutes is just going to start drying the hell out of the interior.
Why would they do this? Paranoia from an uneducated line cook or mgmt. Or laziness/forgetfulness.
I make my fry cooks use a timer for some things like fried ribs that are already cooked and just need to be crisped/re-heated specifically for this reason.

>trying to justify going to applebees
lol

TGIFridays for the most part is the only restaurant of this style worth going to, but all you can eat rib(lets) is atleast a reason to think about not walking past the place if its in a decent location in the city.

I would still never plan a night around having to get an expensive DUI/Lyft in single suburban location and see no reason anyone besides a family looking for slightly better than fast food slop would go more than once every 2 months.

you have to bitch and moan for anything beyond a 2nd plate of the riblets, from what i hear anons have experienced. so its technically all you can eat, but you really need to press hard.

I went for the burger night with endless fries. Bitch waiter didn't bring me any more fries.

*shakes head*

INteresting. I know what spare ribs, St. Louis cut, baby back ribs, and country ribs are, but have never heard of riblets.
This pic helps visualize your description (except country ribs, which are off the neck spine I believe, and actually contain no rib bones).

Thank you for justifying my browsing of Veeky Forums with your work experience.

I'm a cook at a Thai place, never worked in any western-style restaurant or fast food place, so l get curious about how things are normally done.

i pay ten bucks before tax for a bowl of red curry with chicken pineapple lemongrass and basil and a scoop of rice. is that a fair price.

All mass-market restaurant meat are glued together from small scrap meats using meat glue.

youtu.be/TY24Y_Pnr7o?t=1m10s

For sure.
At a non-corporate entity like I work at now that employs over 100 ppl, shit gets lost in the mix and you really really really CAN'T run the risk of anyone getting sick from your food.

Pineapple in red curry? Never heard of that.
I have been making yellow curry (with pineapple) and sell it for $10 per person and my numbers tell me that it is a fair price. I could stretch it to $9 if I needed to and still not be in the red, but sometimes there's more waste than there should be.
Not at work currently so I can't check numbers, but I'd guess it's about $3 worth of ingredients.

Yeah.

Before you get that curry and rice, somebody carries that chicken to to a cooler, carries it to a prep station, trims off the day and weird bits, then runs it through a slicer, processing something like 200-300lbs like that, then stores the processed chicken slices in sterilized containers.

The curry takes something like a half hour for a week's batch. Curry paste is mixed with palm sugar, salt, and white sugar, then boiled and seasoned to taste with granulated garlic and sometimes chicken bouillon, depending on how the curry paste turned out in the manufacturing process. This molten curry mix must be cooled and transferred to other containers for use.

Every vegetable is hand cut, with the exception of carrots. Mandolins are just easier, though in a way using a mandolin is also hand-cutting. Basil is pruned-cut from stalks typically originating from Hawaii. There's just no other way to process these things. It takes hours each week, with every ingredient taking its own time.

Pineapple, at least, comes in a can. Still, we have to open that can and break it down into several other containers, as only so much is used each day and the rest must be sanitarily stored.

Coconut milk, too, comes in a can, but must be opened and stored per-day, as it does not age well.

Cooking curry itself requires a cook to mix the curry paste, coconut milk, vegetables, chicken, and basil, and to tend to it on a stove until the chicken and curry have properly cooked. It's made to-taste, so adjustments are often necessary.

Judge for yourself. There's many factors to consider.

These places run for profit, but curry isn't all they sell. Our place charges $9.75 for a lunch-special curry ($12.75 for seafood), and $11.75 for a dinner portion.

It's work.

*day was supposed to be *fat

Pineapple is $1 extra at our place, but damn near everything except beef and shrimp is $1 extra, too.

It's kinda amazing that we don't advertise our customizations of every goddamn recipe. We get 60% custom orders, so maybe that's a good thing.

Thai place near me always offers 1 large Thai entree, Pad Thai is just an example + Red curry + spring roll with shrimp + perfectly cooked rice + sweet sauce/peanut sauce, for $6.50 and they do carry out orders and don't expect tips.
Also their shit is really good never bad quality always the best Thai. I tip them even for to-go because they are doing God's work

seems like they just said F it, this will taste good
appreciate the details. this is why i dont make curry at home. to do it the right way is a bit of effort
you are a very lucky guy. id never buy groceries.

I love thai but I love eating simple soups and natural foods that happen to be delicious and cheap. I mostly do my own cooking but that thai place you can never go wrong and it's 5 minutes from my house and a few blocks from my work.

Lol, where I am even imported block-frozen shrimp would be +$3 add in place of chix or pork. I actually took it off the menu at some point because it was just impossible to control. Employees would just... be employees about it.
Also I'm in a lefty town so I gotta take farming issues into account. Shark meat would not do well here.

make curry at home, it's not so bad if you're not making 50 +orders per batch

tempted to now.

Just remember that palm sugar (crushed from dry pieces) and taste-defined ingredients like salt and white sugar are necessary for the base.

I made Thai-style curries before working where I do, and I just didn't know about those

i will, thanks!

Riblets are to ribs what manlets are to men

Hi.
Can you correct me if you think I'm wrong? I'm and the other posts. I like making Thai food at home and try to use quality ingredients. Let me know if I'm fucking it up:

Jasmine rice. You need fragrant rice. It's a must. It's not super expensive of anything but it is important.
I use Mae Ploy curry pastes. You can make your own, but I think that these guys make a quality paste.
Coconut milk brand I use is Aroy-D. They don't use emulsifiers or other ingredients to prolong shelf life.
Vegetables and meats? You figure it out. Do what you want.
Thai basil is not the same as sweet basil. Also it should not be heated. Add it at the end. Thai basil is kind of like a mix between mint and sweet basil. Sweet basil is a better substitute than mint.
Palm sugar is the more authentic sweetner, but it varies in sweetness, so measurement wise is not preferred.

jesus

yeah, our shrimp is currently +$3 as well (beef is +$2), and it's block-frozen.

We took seafood off the menu at our Togo/delivery only place, as processing and storing scallops, mussels, and squid wasn't making a profit

never bought a curry paste before, glad you brought that up. noted.

They come from piglets

For reals, I can literally see the bay from the alley of our restaurant. The only thing that I can put on the menu that comes out of that water is salmon. It's fucking nuts.
Someone needs to figure out a way to make barnacles a delicacy.

Sorry, mussels and clams are obviously farmed, but other seafood is just..

Yeah, we use Mae Ploy, but also for our coconut milk (go figure, maybe it's cheaper? I don't control any of our sourcing).

I'm
and yeah, Thai basil is definitely a last-step ingredient. I tend to cook according to how long the food will be in a container, and it worries me that delivery or togo food might fuck up the basil by dint of its time spent "cooking" in the container.

That's where specialty food trucks/carts come in, right? Sometimes I think it'd be fun to run an ultra-fresh pop-up, but most of the time it seems like a huge hassle. Our place is in central Virgina, by the way, so it can't get better than frozen seafood without a three-hour freshness cutoff

Well, not sure if Thai bro is coming back, but for a white guy trying to learn the ins and outs of Thai cuisine, I've kind of just relied on videos of street vendors.
youtube.com/user/ImportFood
They don't have a lot of videos uploaded on YT, but there's a fuck ton on their website. They english what the street vendors are using. I've found it a haven.
GL.

ooops , thought you were outie.

For what it's worth, I'm the only white guy cooking for our restaurants.

There was one other, but he quit before I'd started, wanting more money than other cooks get for his level of experience

>it worries me that delivery or togo food might fuck up...
Yeah, I've learned to just let it go.
When I order delivery, I know that the food is past that "bloom" stage, I'm just drunk and want good grub.
>That's where specialty food trucks/carts come in..
But my clientelle don't want to pay the premium for it.

stoner retards working the line let it sit in the fryer for 10 minutes

You can't get both?

Not true, though my place used them to repair broken smoked fish from time to time.

neat

I'm being dragged there today and I need to know what to get. What is the least offensive thing on the menu?

Wrong, those meat fillers are great in flavor

underrated post

the salads are ok. not microwaved imo.

Riblets are the top portion of the spinal cord.

When will they learn?

Riblets are like 90% bone.

>ordering tendies from a sit down restaurant ever

6 year old detected

Pretty cool.

whats wrong with it

My experience is that after the first or maybe second one they'll "forget" to take your order back, then take an absurdly long amount of time if you persist.
All-you-can-eat at the mercy of the servers is some Judaism. Only time I've ever left a restaurant without paying was an AYCE crab legs place- after the second plate (and hounding two different waiters) they took more than 30 minutes to bring out a plate with 3 room-temperature claws on it.

Applebees is fast casual at best.

>went to applebee's
>got a pint of beer
>$6
I could get a 12 pack for $12. Just because it is on tap doesn't mean it is somehow more expensive.

Even at low tier restaurant like Applebees chicken tenders are by far the laziest thing on the menu, go through the fucking drive through at Mcdonalds if you want tendies, they're actually probably better anyway

Riblets are a shit product that comes fully cooked in a giant plastic-lined box all stuck together. They cost between $3 and $4 a pound.

They are the "Dollar store ribeye" of BBQ ribs. This is why they offer them as "all you can eat" and are featured frequently as buffet fare.

You will not get your moneys worth.