Is there any reason you'd want to waste your time popping your own popcorn instead of using a microwave?

Is there any reason you'd want to waste your time popping your own popcorn instead of using a microwave?

You can pop your own popcorn in the microwave, user.

i don't feel like getting cancer.

You can choose the type of oil/amount of salt goes into it. Plus whatever else you want.
Also this

This. American households are getting so much radiation they're approaching Pripyat.

It's slow but lord help us all if we do not stop now.

You can make your own flavors, use however much or little of oil, salt, butter, seasoning, food coloring, whatever. No trash to throw away when you're done eating it.

Citations for that other than alex jones and his lizard people?

My source is satire user, my source is satire. Microwaves are safe unless you hump your pacemaker against it or go out of your way to bypass safeties; but that's true of any object.

It's those satellite dishes that will kill us all.

Tastes better to use a pan plus it's easier to do sugar popcorn in a pan than the microwave.

You get better results fresh, also it's barely harder than using a microwave

>pour oil in a pot until the bottom is mostly submerged
>put in 5 popcorn kernels and cover, heat on medium until they all pop (this is to ensure oil is hot enough to pop all kernels and not just the weak unterkernels)
>add the rest of your kernels and cover, I like to cover maybe 3/4 of the bottom of the pot with a single layer because fuck measuring it's popcorn
>once popping begins remove the pot from the burner and give it a shake every 20 seconds until the popping slows down or the lid is blowing off from the sheer amount of popcorn contained within (make a note to use less next time)
>salt and butter (real butter not the "butter topping" shit that microwave corn has) plus whatever spices appeal to you
>wa la

Just buy an air popper.

This, basically. For a tiny bit more effort, you get much better results. I stopped being able to stomach artificial flavored microwave popcorn when I was 13.

I usually just use bagged pre-buttered popcorn and this may make me sound like an idiot but how do you add butter to your popcorn? like, do you melt some and pour it on, rub a stick over popped corn, slice off pads and toss 'em on, what?

I follow a similar method, but a few differences.

1. When adding all of your kernels take the pan off the heat and shake it for thirty seconds; this allows the kernels and the oil to get closer in temperature, ensuring an even popping.
2. Sprinkle a good amount of sugar over them if you want them sweet at this stage before returning to the heat.

The trick here is to get them popped before the sugar starts to caramalize so they just get a nice crusting of sugar on them; it can burn a bit easier this way, but it tends to work nicely in my experience.

Uh what? You melt butter and then pour it over the popcorn.

buying plain kernels, dumping them in a paper bag, and microwaving them has 0 calories compared to oil popped popcorn. thats the only reason I think microwave is better. buying the individual microwave bags is a scam

>Radiation
>Microwave

Why wouldn't you want to pop your own popcorn?

It's cheaper.
You can actually use real clarified butter of your own instead of that flavored oil shit.
If you use an air popper you'll never run the risk of burnt popcorn.
If you want to get fancy you could make your own caramel and chocolate drizzles
>add in nuts and sea salt for an indulgent snack

I don't understand there's no downside that outweighs taking the extra five minutes over microwaveable to cook.

See but then the problem is that some of the popcorn gets drenched n butter while some doesn't get any. Say whatcha want about fake butter stuff but at least it coats popcorn well. I wish there was some sorta butter sprayer.

I have this problem too. Maybe we could put melted butter into a sprtizer? That sounds fuckingf retarded but I'm feeling lost at getting proper butter coverage here

that microwave butter flavoring tastes like literal cancer

>use over sized bowl for popped corn
>melt butter
>pour some over popped corn
>mix pop corn with an omlet/quesidilla flip like motion
>pour more butter, repeat
Do the same with the salt. Its not rocket surgery.

Popcorn fucking blows, it gets stuck in my teeth and cuts my mouth

I do this but always seem to end up with a large portion of the popcorn unbuttered. Doesn't happen when I salt it.

I think I need to be doing this when the popcorn is still pipping hot, I think I've been doing it lukewarm.

For those asking about butter, this is the best method I have found yet:

>After popping, pour all of popcorn out of the pot and into a bowl.
>With the pot still hot, put the amount of butter, usually 2 tablespoons, into the pot to melt. Turn the heat back on if needed
>Once the butter has melted in the pot, pour the popcorn back into the pot
>Put the lid back on and shake it like a madman to get the melted butter all over the popcorn

I could never find a sprayer made for melted butter, but I found normal sprayers work great for liquid aminos or soy sauce.

For those asking about butter, this is the best method I have found yet:

>After popping, pour all of popcorn out of the pot and into a bowl.
>With the pot still hot, put the amount of butter, usually 2 tablespoons, into the pot to melt. Turn the heat back on if needed
>Once the butter has melted in the pot, pour the popcorn back into the pot
>Put the lid back on and shake it like a madman to get the melted butter all over the popcorn

I could never find a sprayer made for melted butter, but I found normal sprayers work great for liquid aminos or soy sauce.

>air popper
>misto sprayer
>flavorings of my choice
>can use colored kernels even
>no shitty plastic grease film coating my mouth and fingers as popcorn cools
>takes the same amount of time and yeilds twice as much
>also much more satisfying

Montreal steak seasoning with butter is kino BTW senpai.

What about clarified butter/ghee in a mister? You could set it in warm water before spritzing. No butter solids to turn funky or clog up the nozzle.

Diacetyl.

>put oil in pot, high enough to cover one kernel
>sprinkle kernels into the pot until a single layer covers the bottom, resting in the oil
>add salt, pepper, garlic powder
>turn the heat off when the popping dies down

enjoy your flawless shitload of popcorn for 79 cents of raw materials

How is it a waste of time when for an extra minute or so it comes out a hell of a lot better and doesn't taste like melted plastic and chemicals like microwaved popcorn always does?

Get a load of this guy. He doesn't enjoy microwave radiation.

Coconut oil + Flavacol master race here.

Are these worth the extra money? They look like a deeper orange and have a rounder kernel than the bags of store brand kernels. There's little doubt this is a different kind of popcorn kernel, but the question is, can you tell the difference? I'm about to find out today. I've been eating the kernels that you buy bulk in the bag, and I've decided to give this a shot.

I find that there's still a little bit of kernel left inside the popcorn that is hard. I'm hoping these will pop to be more tender.

Am I the only one that eats microwave popcorn right out if the bag without microwaving it first? I love that oily buttery flavor.

You disgust me.

>Maybe we could put melted butter into a sprtizer?
I'm pretty sure that's what Alton Brown did on his segment about popcorn, and Alton Brown is pretty much always right.

I was never a fan of butter on popcorn specifically because it drenches it and makes it soggy. Plus, since I usually make popcorn as a healthy snack alternative, putting butter on it defeats the purpose. I've always been a fan of just a bit of salt, anyway, but maybe sometime I'll try spritzing.

also
>legacy captcha no longer supported
I just used it 5 minutes ago. Something's going on, here...

Its cheaper than microwave popcorn.
You have more control over how much you make at once.
You have more control over flavors and salt.
Jar of kernels takes up less shelf-space than a box of microwave popcorn.
Doesn't taste like shit after it goes cold.