Under the radar ingredients

ITT: ingredients or condiments that are delicious but you don't see mentioned often

This gochujang hot pepper paste/sauce is great in soups and stews. I assumed it was basically sriracha and didn't bother trying it but I was way wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/74V4BOF5IAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder that chilies are from the New World. Koreans culturally appropriated it and said they "invented" it.

>Koreans culturally appropriated it and said they "invented" it.

t. jap or chink

who cares, if there's a similar paste/sauce out there then post it here

>The only place in the world where spices with heat existed is in the new world
You're fucking retarded.
Gochujang has been made for well over a thousand years, as has every other kind of spicy sauce used in Asia.

Honey and fish sauce should be used in every braise.

Also made by Goreans for thousands of years:

youtu.be/74V4BOF5IAg

That korean pepper shit is too sweet. I mean, it's okay and all, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice. Plus even the extra hot kind isn't even hot.

t. ate a whole tub of that shit on carrots while poor and nearly out of food

>the only taste in Korean food
>under the radar

I last ate Korean food last week. Before that, it was 5 years ago. I've never seen this pepper paste mentioned on Veeky Forums before.

There was a thread about it last week. Is this how long you've been on Veeky Forums?

I'm pretty sure chili peppers were confined to the New World before the Colombian Exchange. I don't know what the Koreans were doing for spice before that, but the other cultures I've read about (Thai, Indian) were using pepper.

They used black pepper.

Native Korean here. A lot of Korean dishes consist of Gochujang (this chili paste) or Dwenjang (fermented soy paste), Gochugaru (powdered peppers), soy sauce, and sugar.

Anchovies

Gochujang, Gochujang, Gochujang, Gochujang, Gochujang, Gochujang, Gochujang (Gochujang!)
Spread that shit on my food chain

I must have missed it m8, please forgive me

>Dwenjang (fermented soy paste)

What does this taste like?

I use fish sauce made from anchovies. Do you ever use anchovy filets?

that shit is dope my nigga

I WANNA FLY AWAY

>What does this taste like?
Similar to miso but a stronger flavor.

oh boy a Korean food thread. Let me preface that I live in Korea

>gochujang
It's good for stirfry sauces. Don't use it much in soups or stews, it's actually powdered chilis that are used to spice and thicken soups. Gochujang is way too sweet and starchy to use a generous amount of.

This is actually true. Traditional Korean food is not spicy, like Japanese food. Probably Chinese introduced it a few hundred years ago and since then Koreans have been using it as a preservative to make autumn harvests last through cold winters.

Probably because it's the least versatile chili sauce in the world. Sweet chili sauce, hot sauce, sambal, and hipster ketchup are much more versatile. Gochujang must be used sparingly unless you're a 90 year old ajumma who can't taste anything anymore.

They didn't eat spicy food. Traditional ddeokbokki, for example, is actually sweet but not spicy unlike the modern meme version.

It tastes like miso, but more sour, salty and thick. Unlike miso you can boil the fuck out of it. It's also commonly used for dipping sauces, but it's hard to cook into anything other than soup. Regardless, we buy it in 2kg tubs.

>gochujang
>in any way rare

You what now? If you've literally ever encountered Korean food you'd know what that is.

I put that shit on toast with cheese for breakfast. It's amazing. Goes well in a grilled cheese with an egg too.

>way too sweet and starchy to use a generous amount of.

My friend you don't know Americans very well, we add cornstarch to our sauces just fucking cause

gochujang is much thicker than ketchup or bbq sauce. You wouldn't add chinese stirfry sauce to a stew, so why add gochujang. Better to use the starch-free gochu-garu

No. Leave and back to r*ddit