What philosophy classes have you taken? What were the best and the worst?

What philosophy classes have you taken? What were the best and the worst?

I'm in a Greek classics class that focuses on ethics and introduces Plato/Aristotle right now, going good so far

In order of excellence:
Plato - upper division
Wittgenstein - upper division
Aristotle - upper division
Philosophical Writing: Personal Identity - upper division
Ancient Philosophy - lower division
Logic - lower division
Modern Philosophy - lower division
Metaphysics - upper division
Chinese Philosophy - upper division
Theory of Knowledge - upper division
Modern Political Philosophy - upper division
Philosophy of Society - upper division

history of philosophy, both ancient and modern
ethics
logic
currently in a german idealism class and so far this is the best

in general:
ethics/metaphysics - high tier
mind/knowledge - interesting tier
logic/politics - autism tier

Took an upper division class on Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit once. Great fun.

Holy shit, you are me.

I'm doing a Presocratics course right now. Breddy gomfy.

Moral Philosophy
Philosophy of Aesthetics
Modern and Ancient Philosophy
Philosophy of Mind
Philosophy of Plato

Favorite was Philosophy of Mind and the professor was kind of a prominent scholar in the field too.

I took one class - my required intro to philo, and it sucked hard.

It sucked so bad I thought I was mistaken about philosophy, and I actually hated it.

It wasn't until I started delving into philo on my own I realized my prof just sucked major dicks.

>university course
>comfy

Lmao, this is the mind of a humanities student. If a class doesn't constantly stress you out and you aren't feeling like you're going to fail the class despite spending 3-4 studying for it alone, you are taking a joke course.

t. Engineering student at a top 10 school who takes humanities courses, never goes to their lectures, and still gets a free A

meant to say "despite spending 3-4 hours a day studying for that class alone"

currently in a seminar on heidegger's being & time. enjoying it so far

>Third year into psychology degree
>Take third-year level Philosophy of Mind course (analytic bend)
>only attend for tests, never made the effort to learn what my marks were after the fact
>course syllabus states either we can write two shorter papers with set multiple due dates, or do one long paper on any topic covered in the class due by end of the semester provided it was 25~ pages as we could work on it any time
>heard prof talking to a student prior to the third test, one week prior to the end of the course, about AI offhand
>decide to write a paper on the Chinese Room and the Systems reply
>complete the paper five days later
>nearly throwing up everyday because my absence for the near entirety of the course was not because I was foolhardy or confident, but a mix of anxiety and lethargy and I just then realized what I had done
>day after I slide my paper under his office door look up reviews of him by students in an attempt to console myself
>"attend class or you will not pass" / "hard maker"
>feel totally groundless, did this for four of my classes except one (had to go meet two of them and give a sob story so I wouldn't be kicked out of the course for never attending)
>did study like mad in all my classes for what it was worth
>night prior to when grades are supposed to come out on the university website
>head tingling, stomach feels like it is in orbit, heart thumping like a jackrabbit
>finally work up the nerve to see my marks; heart feels like it is imploding
>lay eyes on the computer screen
>most successful academic year yet
>actually got an A+ in the course
>have a carefree summer

on the other hand, i have no clue what i am going to do come graduation having made no friends or connections yet

i only took metaphysics
analytic autism. phil departments are a joke. take a decent class in theater, classics, foreign lit, etc. instead

Every philosophy class I have taken has been terrible and learned more by doing readings myself. My philosophy department succs though

-Heidegger + Foucault
-Descartes + Hobbes
-Logic
-Critical Arguments
-Philosophy of Happiness (this was the class that was the final straw for me. Only took it for the minor.)

I'm not sure if it counts as philosophy, but for my English degree I did a lot of theory courses. And by that I mean late 20th centruy French philosophy.

My major regret is that I ended up having to work backwards (aka start from the likes of Foucault, and go back to Nietzsche and Kant). I had to read excerpts of postcolonial theory in a first year course and I swear no one knows what the fuck they are doing.

It's hard to really fuck up a humanities class but harder still to stand out. That's the real challenge, if you give a shit. That is, when its not shameless grade inflation, like what you're enjoying. Only a true retard actually fails.

if you like the topic it really shouldn't be that hard to stand out, given that you are probably coming to class with knowledge already in hand and would have no problem doing extra outside research. Being a stand out doesn't take that much creativity mostly because most of your professors will be uncreative too.

I'll not deal with sophists because I actually care about the truth.

>if you like the topic it really shouldn't be that hard to stand out, given that you are probably coming to class with knowledge already in hand and would have no problem doing extra outside research.
No.
>Being a stand out doesn't take that much creativity mostly because most of your professors will be uncreative too.
Wtf am I reading?

>logic
>autism
t.brainlet

>Wtf am I reading?
thoughts on how to stand out in the humanities by someone who has stood out in the humanities?

Your professors were such planks of wood that you stood out by regurgitating information without much original thought?

How can you consider LOGIC AUSTISM TIER? It must be informal logic you are referencing... It must be... For goodness sake if it isn't I think all my faith will have been lost in philosophy.

kill yourself

>implying metaphysics is even possible

Epistemology is the only legitimate branch of philosophy.

Holy shit dude, how are you engineers and stem majors so smart? I mean really I don't understand how you do it - it's like you're a different breed than everyone else.

Seriously though, you undergrad stem majors are the fucking worst. I TA multiple classes full of kids who think they're gods just because they passed ochem/thermo/some "higher level" math class when in reality they're all fucking idiots trying to construct an identity around their nonexistent individuality.

This is coming from someone with degrees in both mathematics and philosophy - stop being so fucking pretentious about being a shitty stem major.

Epistemic logic is turbo-autism tier; it's no surprise the most autistic professor still around is the one who made major advances in it.