Veeky Forums, tell me how you do this meal (which is fit for a king)

Veeky Forums, tell me how you do this meal (which is fit for a king).
What are the best/worst ingredients and optimal methods? I'm thinking of picking this one up.

Like 3 pounds of browned hamburger, a can of tomato paste, and a half a pound of dried chilis. Also dump garlic and pepper in there to taste.

brown meat in pan (i use a dutch oven on the stovetop) use this time to put in some spices: pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder

chop up 3 onioms, several celery and carrot
heat up some oil in a larger pot and start to cook then vegetables

you can add in some minced garlic to the cooking veg too, wait for the onions to get glassy add a jar of tomatoes and a jar of tomato sauce (we grow and can them in the summertime, but yeah go ahead and use the BPA tinned tomatoes too or w/e, if you are concerned + lazy you can go to a farmers market they probably have some nice canned veg too)

turn up the heat on your tomato soupy veg pot,
add in some beans (you can precook dry beans the night before, or again, be a sucker and BPA tinned beans it up) and then the browned meat

in the empty dutch oven i'll add some olive oil and a little more garlic/spices and cook up some jalapens or poblans pepper for spice, and then maybe some sweet bells for extra volume, then i'll fry up some mushrooms and add them to the big pot to simmer for a bit and then

wa la

sounds like shit.
anyone have a real recipe for chili? i have ground sirloin and some stew meat in the fridge, i plan on using both.
i am not going to be putting beans in it, but i have some dried chilies, tomato paste, canned tomato, sweet onion, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cumin, dry oregano and thyme.
what's a good ratio of each of those for a proper chili?
the only reason it's not getting beans is because there's someone in the house that doesn't like beans at all.
i might actually heat some and add during garnish along side chopped onion, cheese, sour cream and maybe bacon bits, for those of us who do like them.
i dunno if i want to wade through a million recipes between now and tomorrow to find one that i like.

Throw all of that in a pot and let it simmer...except tumeric and thyme.

1 onion, 1 clove garlic, 1 14oz can of tomato, and 1/4c dried chilies and 1tsp cumin per pound of meat is a good starting point but for fucks sake dont measure. Its chili. Cook the meat first and use plenty of salt. There are othrr ingredients but you didnt mention them so.... this will still be chili. If you put corn celery ir carrots in your chili i will reach through my phone and choke you.

I'll add a carrot next time I make chili just for you.

Here's how I make my own bastardized version of chili.

>fry 500g of mixed ground beef/pork in olive oil
>season with salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, cayenne
>add 1 chopped onion about halfway through
>once the onions are glassy and the meat is browned, add finely chopped garlic and some chili peppers to taste.
I use ~3 cloves and 3 no-name supermarket chili peppers because that's all we get around here

>pour in one can (500ml) of beer.
I use Paderborner pilsener because it's cheap but still very good. Alternatively, you can use a bit of whiskey and add water as necessary later on.
>let reduce a little

>add 1 can (~800ml) of tomatoes, hand-crushed
>add about a teaspoon of cocoa powder and some brown sugar to taste
You can of course also use sweetened cocoa powder, but then you can't control chocolatey taste and sweetness seperately.

>add one can (~400g) of corn and beans each, in case you're a cultural anarchist
>let simmer for at least an hour. The longer, the better

>make potato wedges, rice, nice crusty bread or spaetzle (if you're insane) and enjoy

>recipe
Try this:
>3lbs meat...your call
Season and cook.
>3 onions, diced.
>3 cloves garlic, minced
Add to pot, holding back 1/3 onion. Cook until aromatic.
>1 cup dried ground chiles
Ancho mulato mecca whatever.
>1 tbsp each ground cumin coriander pepper and oregano.
Throw it in the pot. Let this go a bit so the dry ingredients mingle with the fat.
>1 lg can(28oz) of tomato.
Crushed diced...whatever.
>1qt of beef stock or 4 bouillon cubes with water. Throw it in there...simmer a bit.
If its too thick adjust with water if too thin reduce and or add a bit of cornmeal.
>salt...kosher or sea. Never iodized.
Start with 1 tbsp. Once you have the consistency you like let it cool to serving temperature and add more salt if necessary.
If desired add some fresh oregano.

okay. celery was one of those optional ingredients i've noticed over the passed few weeks of checking recipes in waiting rooms and stuff like that. i'll leave it out for sure. i was on the fence anyway. definitely not doing carrot either.
i've got jalapenos in adobo that i was unaware of also.
we seem to be on the same page for the most part. you think a can of beef broth instead of all water or what? also, i'll add about half a beer because i've noticed that a lot as well.

not OP, but thank you guys. i appreciate it. i'll post a picture in an appropriate thread if this one is gone tomorrow evening.

* forgot to add back that last bit of onion near the end...textural contrast. Fresh jalapenos work well too.

i think i have enough to go on now.
i've never made chili before. i'm really looking forward to it.

2 pounds of London Broil, diced into 3/8" cubes

4 medium white onions, diced up nice and fine

1 bulb of garlic, similarly diced

40 dried Arbol chiles, turned to powder in the food processor

10 dried Arbol chiles, diced up nice and fine

2 large Jalapeños, diced

Cumin, and chili powder - no real measurement, just what looks and tastes right.

2 Large bell peppers, diced up like the Jalapeños

1 large can of stewed tomatoes,

Large Can of Beef Broth

¼ cup of molasses
Sweat all the veggies in a large pot.

Brown the beef with a touch of salt and pepper.

Add all ingredients to the pot with the veggies and let simmer for 4 hours.

>beer and broth
Sure...its chili. No recipes no rules...except of course for the corn celery and carrots because thats just weird.

im in agreement.

Have fun. I love making chili. Its never the same twice but always good and always a wonderful way to spend a lazy morning.

I heard its a faux pax to use beans and personally I think beans stand out and ruin the texture of a chili
Otherwise chili is just a spiced goulash/stew

>ive heard...
See there are three types of chili people.
The first are people who genuinely dont like beans or maybe can't tolerate beans. They are weirdos but whatever...they're ok.
Then you have the Texas Nationalist. These are the ones who scream "no beans" louder than anyone else. They call it Texas Red and act as if it's the only way to make chili. The rest of us call it hotdog sauce.
Then you have the third group and they are the most insufferable of people. See most of these "no beaners" have never actually made a pot of chili. They just parrot what they think is the right thing to say so as to be accepted by their peers or assert a false sense of superiority over others. They want to be seen as having a better understanding of food than those around them. These guys show up in office breakrooms rooms and family reunions quite often. What they don't realize when trying to express their self-perceived culinary savvy is that the rest of us are rolling our eyes and yawning.

Here's what I use:
>Hamburger
>Jalapeno
>Kidney Beans
>Onion
>Minced Garlic
I don't like a lot of ingredients making it a mess of flavor, so I keep the number of ingredients minimal. I top it with cheese and sour cream too. Some people put corn, green peppers, northern beans, ground sausage, etc. in it, but I don't care for all of that.

That is not chili.
That is unseasoned burrito filling...but worse because you used kidney beans rather than black or pinto. Seriously man...just awful.

Chili is very similar to Indian 'pepper water', hence the name. Don't listen to the "purist" jackasses who think they're cowboys because they won't throw in a preserved good into their pot of preserved goods.

Out, out on the range. Where I'm starving but won't throw dried beans in the pan.

Ancho, garlic, onion, beef, canned tomato, bay leaf, beef stock, pepper, salt

It's beef stew but with chilis and tomato in it. Not exactly rocket surgery

2 pounds beef, garlic onion, drain fat 4 cups beef stock, lots and lots of seasonings and spices, can crushed tomatoes, can diced tomatoes, optional can of chili beans, 1/2 a beer and masa harina. Made it today actually. Made it this way for years.

haaaaaa

Hamburger
Garlic
Jalapeno
Green bell pepper
Chili powder
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Beans
1/2 and 1/2 beef and chicken stock

Has anyone had chili Green Bay style? It's served over spaghetti.

>toast mix of dried chiles (ancho, de arbol, guajillo, whatever) in dutch oven
>remove, sear beef (i like short rib)
>when beef is done, deglaze with some chicken stock/beer
>when CS/beer is hot, put toasted chiles in and rehydrate
>pour hydrated chiles and CS in blender, blend to a paste
>sweat a large onion, some bell peppers, ~4 cloves of garlic
>add cumin, paprika, whatever other spices you want, tomato paste (optional), and your chile paste
>wait until it starts to fry (youll hear it), let it cook like that some while stirring
>after a few minutes add a 28oz can of tomatoes (crush with your hands) and half of the rest of your chicken stock carton
>get to a simmer
>cut beef into ~1 inch cubes, add to the pot with all juices
>put in the oven and forget about it, crack the lid so it reduces some (i like thick chili, but do whatever you like)
>will be done in about 3 hours or so
>add beans when you think youre about 20 minutes out

Nigger that's a 3-way

Ground beef
Chili paste (habanero, jalapeno, garlic, lime, cumin, masa flour, chili powder, ancho chili powder)
Diced jalapeno
Diced red onion
Diced tomatoes
Beef stock
Tomato sauce
Dark brown sugar
Lime juice
Corn
Beans

Eat with cornbread

500g mince beef
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
spinach
garlic powder
paprika
chili seasoning
chili seeds
misc hot sauce (esp. habenero, hot pepper, piri piri)

often add grilled diced chicken breast if the feeling takes me