What are some Twin Peaks-esque books?

What are some Twin Peaks-esque books?

Nothing can let me down more than season 3 did.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvline.com/2017/05/19/twin-peaks-revival-lara-flynn-boyle-donna-showtime-david-lynch/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Crying of Lot 49, The Third Policeman, and unironically pic related

Murakami's Wild Sheep Hunt and Dance, Dance, Dance

If season 3 let you down, you never liked the series for the intended reasons anyway.

Why do you want books that will let you down?

OP avoid secret history especially if you didn't like S3. It's so bad even Lynch can't be arsed to read it.

If you watched the shit that was season 2 how could you possibly be let down by season 3?

That book about the history of the town Twin Peaks.

>Nothing can let me down more than season 3 did.
pleb, s3 was on a par with s1

season 2 is the second best season though old boy

i could never get through season 2

is it worth skipping, jumping into 3

>shit that was season 2
Good meme.

Episodes 1-9 are kino and the show picks back up when Windom Earle shows up. Path to the Black Lodge and Beyond Life and Death are the strongest episodes in the entire series.

>implying the Little Nicky subplot isn't the most kino and foreshadows the extended use of innovative and idiosyncratic digital techniques such as interpolation featured in the Return

hating s2 is the ultimate pleb opinion

this guy gets it, and even the middle segment of s2 is perfectly enjoyable. it meanders and amps up the zany humor, but still sufficiently captures the show's distinct atmosphere.

>hating s2 is the ultimate pleb opinion
tvline.com/2017/05/19/twin-peaks-revival-lara-flynn-boyle-donna-showtime-david-lynch/

artists are notorious for being their own worst critics (note how he only truly lauds the pilot). plus, peaks was clearly an important project for him, and his presence was diminished on s2, so it's understandable that lynch would feel a certain distaste for it. this might be a copout response but i'm sticking to it.

Yeah pretty much. There's even some good stuff in the later middle episodes, though James's pointless subplot should have been excised

Season 2 is unironically my favorite part of the franchise.

Can I just watch the two last episodes of S2; Fire, Walk With Me; and then just jump to S3? Josie's subplot is boring as hell and I hate James with a passion.

>I hate James with a passion.
Ultra pleb detected

JUST YOU

He's just too bland, user. Maybe he gets better but he's shit so far.

.....me......down

>Path to the Black Lodge
>Miss Twin Peaks bullshit
>goofy, irrelevant Dick Tremayne/old man/redhead subplot
>drifter in a fucking chesspiece
>Billy Zane
>HORSE COSTUME
>let's decipher the drawing from the magic cave contraption like it's Goonies

The only good parts are the ending and the hints of Bob returning (slow drip, shaking hands etc). Face it, the show is shit episode 15 through 28, and Windom Earle is a garbage character.

horse costume was a great moment though

>skipping

how the fuck was it a "great moment"?

>Dick Tremayne
>Billy Zane
>HORSE COSTUME
All of these are kino, but otherwise I agree. All the lorefag Mark Frost shit is the worst parts of Twin Peaks

I didn't like the original series but loved the the Return. Not because it's all fresh and shit, but because it wasn't campy drama romance bullshit, and instead was actually conceptual, experimental and overall pretty welldone.

Didn't Lynch step away from season 2 for a bit?

Not sure if this is genuine or not. Hard to fuck up this badly.

yeah, that's what i meant by his diminished presence. he returned near the end of the season though, and gave us some of the finest moments in the series.

I'm being serious. Now, instead of telling me I'm stupid and not explaining yourself, please elaborate on why I'm wrong.

Both are, but I can guess it's pretty hard to see through all the camp. A lot of the strength in the original series to me is the juxtaposition of these campy, sappy, happy parts with the horrible shit that's actually going on there and that it will happen again. This all is most obvious in the episode "Lonely Souls" in which the killing of Laura's cousin coincides with the Giant showing up in the roadhouse telling Cooper "It is happening again" (Note, this is also the tagline of the new series, and everything in the new series having to do with the actual Twin Peaks was focused on telling us "Nothing changed here, it's still the same fucked up shit fucking up things for everyone")

It's not that it was hard to see though it all, it was there and quite enjoyable, but the Return was much better executed. I didn't hate the OS, I just mean since Lynch was more restricted and therefore confined to do what he wanted, I personally enjoyed this new season much more.

jerzy kosinski "steps". its even better than any twin peaks episode

Oh yes, certainly, the new one is even more a Lynch project. It's also why a lot of fans of the original didn't like The Return, while fans of Lynch generally liked it.

>the juxtaposition of these campy, sappy, happy parts with the horrible shit that's actually going on there
I'm surprised about how many people seem to miss this point of the original series. Is not like it's subtle about it or anything.

>What are some Twin Peaks-esque books?
For the unsteady reality aspect, look into Philip K. Dick, particularly Ubik. Apart from that, from a dreamlike perspective, Murakami and of course Kafka. They're probably the two authors closest to Lynch that I know or like anyway

If you're looking for comfy detectives in the woods, Louise Penny seems to have inspired her series by Twin Peaks. These ones are really standard cozies though, so all the "surreal" aspect goes out the window - they just happen in a small woodsy town with quirky characters.

Apart from that, supposedly the Wayward Pines series was inspired by Twin Peaks (there's a series also). I didn't enjoy the first twist and stopped that one right there, but it might be up your alley.

>The Crying of Lot 49, The Third Policeman
Two other good recommendations. Really, it depends what OP means when he says Twin Peaks-esque. The main characteristic is the surreal aspect, but under that the series is really a jumble of genres.

>he is bandwaggoner pleb

Because it's funny and unexpected, why else?

I feel like the only person who loved this character, he was fucking hilarious

>lol so randumb
Fuck you.

OP here, let me specify. Season 3 was great and I loved Dougie, however the ending felt rushed and left a lot to be desired. That was the let down for me. Late season 1 and early season 2 is pure kino though.

Thanks for the recs though.

i love this picture

Real question here: can i just skip season 2?
I've heard bad things about it and just want to get to the good lynchian stuff.

yeah

>the ending felt rushed
lol poser

nah

dunno

>casual crossthread

the only stuff you can skip is scenes when james goes out of town

Listen to the good man and skip ANY James scene in season 2 for god's sake