Winesburg Ohio Reading Group on Veeky Forumscord

The Veeky Forums Discord is holding a reading group for Winesburg, Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson, often regarded as one of the foundational texts of American literature. Anderson was credited with being an instrumental mentor to, among others, the likes of Hemingway and Faulkner, Steinbeck, Miller, Wolfe, etc. Wolfe stated Anderson was "the only man in America who ever taught me anything" and Faulkner claims it was Anderson who instilled in him the belief that "being a writer must be a wonderful life," motivating him to write professionally. Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles was modeled directly after Winesburg, Ohio.

The book itself is a collection of short stories that share a setting and a common character, protagonist George Willard, and chronicles his interactions with the inhabitants of the titular small town. The "Grotesques," as the narrator terms the inhabitants of Winesburg, lead lonely and isolated lives that Anderson explores in relation to the world around them, as a microcosm of the small town American experience of the early 20th century. Much like Dubliners, there is considerable debate on the classification of Winesburg, Ohio as a "short story collection," with many instead referring to it as a "short story cycle" or simply a "novel." Hart Crane said "America should read this book on its knees" and H.L. Mencken called it a "book of uncommon merit."

The book, and Anderson himself, was not without controversy however. His illustrious list of disciples more or less all ended up quarreling and breaking with Anderson after their careers were launched. Critics of Winesburg, Ohio focused on the sordid nature and "ugly" nature of what Anderson depicted. Anderson himself led a tumultuous life and his biography is quite interesting - highlights include randomly quitting his run-of-the-mill copyediting job by walking out and suffering a nervous breakdown before deciding to become a writer quite randomly and abandoning his family.

An ebook is pinned in the linked Discord channel.

discord.gg/465umtx

I'm currently making my way through the collection and I enjoy it but it has many flaws. Anderson could have used a editor to clear up his writing and edit down some of the stories. "Godliness", the longest story in the collection didn't deserve to be as long as it is. I understand he wanted demonstrate the generational nature of Winesburg's central themes but by god does it feel way too overblown. It's weighed down by the hamfisted biblical allusions, odd pacing, and uneven characterization. Other stories are like that too in that many of the principal characters serve as a means to an end to get to whatever realization Anderson wants. It's the American and less well done version of Dubliners however much influence it put on the next generation of writers. I do appreciate him incorporating psychology into his writing and the land of the lotus eaters feel he imparts on Winesburg.

this is so precious lol

should I make it my goodreads review

link goodreada

How long is this going to be up for?

Fake reading group. This is not the real polling user.

godliness was fairly weak
also iirc two of the stories are essentially the same

I don't think it deserves to be the longest story. And to be honest, all the stories are essentially the same with a mellow beginning, a subconscious driven "adventure", and a sharp resolution. Individually, some stories are really strong but together the collection isn't great.

the last few stories form a fairly compelling whole.

the two that left the biggest impression on me were the fairground rendezvous (even if its cheap sentimentalism) and that guy who 'works' in a second story office (lawyer?).

just remembered that there's a guy on Veeky Forums with a Tandy tattoo lmfao

>it's the less well done version of Dubliners
I thought the rest of the critique was somewhat fair, even though I don't agree with it, but this part is just retarded. This book and Dubliners have almost nothing alike.

Sophistication, An Awakening, and The Teacher are my favorites. George Willard is a fantastic character.

not that guy but it's basically the same idea (ordinary people going about their business in one town; lechers, mediocrities, and decent people alike) except the people of winesburg actually know one another.

>focused on one location
>heavy emphasis on epiphany
>reflective of larger national culture
>characters independent of each other (save Willard)
>short story "cycle"
They're similar enough to make a direct comparison.

It may have a similar idea, but they're both written with different goals and themes in mind. Comparing them on the basis of being focused on one location that represents a larger whole, with mostly independent characters, is a bit absurd. If he had just said they were similar, it'd be fine, but calling one an inferior version of the other is going way too far. I love both books and think that they're each very unique relatively.

I'm /thatguy/ and I'm also. I think they're too similar to not compare. I think Winesburg is more comfy because I come from the Midwest but it feels much weaker as a collection. What do you think separates them?

GOD I HATE YOU ALL YOU PRETENTIOUS PSEUDS ARRRGGG

You are so fucking retarded. The story can be read in less than an hour and the entire book in a day, or two if you are a brainlet and a slow reader. Lazy fuck.

They are only alike in the most superficial way. Stop getting your info from wikipedia articles and actually read the books you discuss.

The structure is different, the themes are different. Winesburg has a main character and recurring characters. Dubliners takes place in a city while Winesburg takes place in a small rural town so the stories are different and Dubliners deals with a wider range of emotions and situations while Winseburg explores mainly a couple of central themes.
I mean, you just have to read them to notice that those books are nothing alike except for being "short story cycles".

Fuck you bitch. I pace myself at least one short story a day, a poem, and an essay. I might read more but it's a short story collection that I've read most of before for class. It's not a novel so it's easily segmented. Go back to reading books you'll never finish because you got meme'd into them.
I understand but I think they're still similar enough to compare. I agree that Dubliners tackles more situations, themes, and people but the central premise of short stories based on one area and hinging on epiphanies is the same in both books. Dubliners is better because Joyce is simply the better writer. His themes are sharper, his writing is better, and it's more artfully done. I wish more people would talk about Winesburg because it's a neat little collection.

You're finally reading something decent for once wow. How can you manage it when nearly the entire cord is shitposting?

We read plenty of good stuff before this too desu

Read more and ignore the shitposters, it's really that easy.