I haven't sat down and read a book in over 5 years now. I have money and will go to the bookstore and buy and read one...

I haven't sat down and read a book in over 5 years now. I have money and will go to the bookstore and buy and read one, but I need recommendations for something that will truly make me love reading again.

Anything by John Green

Socrates' Apology is what got me into reading, but we all have different tastes so you shouldn't take what anyone says at face value and just try out different things until you find something you enjoy.

Augustus by John Williams

r9k didn't want you there huh

No, I just figure I'd get more responses over here.

Finnegans Wake by James Joyce should be a good way to ease into reading

Brekkek

>Ulysses
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Infinite Jest
are memes.

The Master and Margarita got me back into reading. And is my top bestest favourite book ever in the world.

>bookstore

don't get ripped off. just buy a used book online.

OP clearly said, "Something that will truly make [OP] love reading again," not abhor it.

In all seriousness, OP, while is a faggot, read something YA/Green-tier. They're typically short and quite easy to follow; stuff you can turn your brain off to.

J R by William Gaddis. It's extremely funny.

I'm unironically considering if I should buy Turtles All The Way Down when it comes out

storm of steel

Catch-22 is pretty fun and got me back into recreational reading. Cormac Mccarthy's stuff is pretty cool too.

100 years of solitude

the number one most dropped book on goodreads lol

i mean some background info might help

are you a bum 5 years out of high school who hates his life?

you say love reading again implying you loved it once. was that when you were twelve and still reading childrens lit? burnout because of school? etc.

some of the responses might honestly do it for some people but would be useless for others if you're looking for a singular book in hopes to make you like reading

>Not Cien AƱos de Soledad
Worth learning Spanish just to read the original. So good.

Catch 22 is great. A bit long for a warm-up book, but fantastic over all.

Holy Jesus what a load of plebians. That fucking site looks like it's full of people with a 500 book 'plan to read' list that never sees any progress.

The Horse and His Boy
Short, simple and beautiful.

He's well known to be superficial at best, sounding like a pretencious 16 year old girl talking to their 14 year old friends.

Have you read any of his "witty" metaphors for life and relationships?

why would you ever want to read john green unironically?

Yuck. Nothing worse than a pretentious bookworm.

Look here, pseud - "100 Years" is perfectly acceptable in it's english translation. Also, GR is filled with YA-reading brainlets, but it's also filled with some really smart motherfuckers who know their shit; far more than Veeky Forums will ever be. Also perfectly acceptable.

OP, there is literally an entire universe filled with books to choose from in a rainbow of genres. You didn't really give anyone any direction as to your tastes so what in the damned hell do you expect of us?

>Start with the Greeks...OBVIOUSLY.

start with don quixote, the only novel worth reading, and spend the rest of your life reading philosophy and poetry

ender's game by orwille scott card

it's an incredibly entertaining fantasy about a genius child that poses some really philosophical questions

ironic shitposting is just shitposting