Woudlnt sous vide actually be bad for you, with all that long-time exposure heating of plastic and shit?

Woudlnt sous vide actually be bad for you, with all that long-time exposure heating of plastic and shit?

I mean, people complain about bottled water and the plastic bottles already, how come no one started whining about sous videt?

not all plastic is bad for you

This is true, but generally boiling with plastics is not a good idea. Polyethylene terephthalate aka PET or PETE can be unhealthy when heated above 140F. Seen as how water boils at a considerably higher heat, personally I'd avoid using this type of plastic for sous vide. You can use canning jars or silicone bags instead of standard plastic bags, either would be much healthier.

Certain plastics wont dissolve or melt under heat.

You could use mylar. That's what they use for the MRE retort pouches isn't it?

Most vacuum bags are PET, Ziploc bags are HDPE.
And why are you talking about boiling? Water boils at 212, sous vide doesn't get anywhere close to those temperatures. 135 is medium rare for steak, the highest I've gone is 150 for poached eggs.

Don't expect intellectual consistency from the Mother Earth News crowd.

Bump for interest, was wondering the same recently

>Woudlnt sous vide actually be bad for you, with all that long-time exposure heating of plastic and shit?
Yes. Sous vide is for stupid people that don't know how to cook.

If you're going over 140 you shouldn't be using sous vide in the first place.

what about bacteria, are those temperatures high enough to not let them multiply like mad

More like sous bidet
Cos its a shitty way to cook food, LMAO, amirite

>boiling
You don't get anywhere fucking close to boiling temperatures with sous vide, a medium rare steak only needs water to be 129 degrees

poultry and eggs get over 140, think 160ish is about as high as anything needs, even the well done shit even though that defeats the whole fucking purpose

My guess is that the science has been done and they've found a temperature that can cook the steak while killing the bacteria slowly. It'll kill bacteria, I'm sure, just not as quickly as traditional methods with high heat would.

>Processed foods suck. Did you eat canned meat? Disgusting.
>Mmm Iove waiting to eat slimy steak from a plastic bag.

Just looked it up and you're right. For some reason I thought eggs were much lower.

The high range of the TDZ is around 135-140, so if you cook chicken to that temp sous vide it's fine, you just have to hold it there for longer (which is technically pasteurization). Steaks and shit can be cooked lower, and you'll typically sear them afterwards anyway.

got em

stop using Fahrenheit
fucking stupid negroes

There is nothing you or your insignificant country can do to stop us

eggs aren't cooked in bags in any case, and honestly poultry isn't one of the things it does very well imo