Didnt see one in the catalog so /recentbuys/ thread

Didnt see one in the catalog so /recentbuys/ thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/lit/1505323254468.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>storm of steel
my nigger

This week's Goodwill finds.

Good finds user, unfortunately I'm stuck with literally only a Barnes and Noble near me and my posts mailing system would take 4 months for books to reach me.

I've got the same edition of meditations, check out seneca too if you get a chance.

Greekfag here, books are, from top to bottom:
>A Little History of the World by Ernst Gombrich
>Empires at War by Robert Gerwarth and Erez Manela

except it's the neutered version with the translator who says he dislikes Ernst Junger's writing.

i didnt know there was a physical edition of "This is Not a Pipe"

Which version is unabridged?

Posted this in the last thread but here are my purchases from the last few weeks. Currently reading Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov.

>tfw being Deutsch
Having german as native language is the jackpot

pls be nice

I fell for the paperback meme the last few years, I'm done with it. You either buy a hardback or borrow it from library.

it's a lot nicer to not depend on tables

nigga how big are your books

All of this for $10 at a local church booksale/fête. How'd I do?

but reading hardbacks in bed is not comfy at all

Very similar my friend

It's the fucking English major starter pack, boys.

Jelly of that mishima

no phone camera atm but
Universal Harvester - John Darnielle
Protocol: How Control Exists after Decentralization - Alexander Galloway
Sacred Era - Yoshio Aramaki
V. - Thomas Pynchon
Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

>Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov
Great fucking catch user, loved that book.

I grabbed this from goodwill today because it sounded interesting and because it was a first edition. Won't probably read it from some time. Anyone read it? If so, what'd you think?

I need to sort out the failing cover but otherwise it's in good nick.

>He bought the least aesthetically-pleasing edition of Infinite Jest

I actually find it to be the most aesthetically pleasing edition. CERTAINLY when compared to pic related.

Not that dude, but it's my favorite cover. I enjoy minimalistic book covers. They're tasteful.

>buying books
are you people not from America or something?

>he doesn't have a cumbersome and disorganised, physical book collection

basil creighton is the most complete version in translation but it's hard to find. the penguin versions are based on the final revisions of SoS which were abridged and censored by Junger himself in the sixties when fascist leanings were frowned upon. he took out his personal views and reflections that's why it reads so cold.

Used books on Amazon or abesbooks are the way to go. Never spend more than 10 on a book.

im trying to go full ebook because i cant deal with moving all these fucking books and my storage space it filled, but like if i get down to a minimal living space with no books people will think ima a brainlet, like every pic of a smart guy in the newspaper has a big shelf of books behind him to let everyone know that he knows a lot of shit about stuff

u really only need 2-3 books, one fiction book, one non-fiction, and maybe a programming book if u work in tech

good shit my friend

lol literally just finished it an hour after posting it. Might be my favorite Nabokov yet next to Pnin and Sebastian Knight. Absolutely fucking fantastic read

yeah and because of that people buy books in bulk as decoration. I hate using ebooks so I just go to a library. You do have access to a library, don't you, user?

No one here cares whether you're from Poland. We accept all ideologies: SJW, Nazi, Christian, Moslem, René Guyon Society. This is what makes us so diverse, so special. Without all these dissenting viewpoints we'd be an echo chamber trapped without food and water. The ideologies among us are what's nourishing our tender, frail bodies, so you mustn't be afraid to say you're from or not from a certain ideology.

library is rad too because it puts a time bound on your reading, of course u can renew or late fee it up, but still you have some kind of deadline to keep you a little on track, unlike buying it where u rip open the package, flip the through pages, smell it, and throw it on the stack next to the 10 other books you didnt read

>library books

but how can you know someone didn't read it on the tiolet

>take lesser quality books
>bring them to local used bookstore
>open trade account
>trade in books for a quarter--or whatever-- of what they sell them for
>hard cash
>keep good quality, hardcover, first edition, sentimental, pleasant books for keeps
>???
>you already earned a profit

This one

Who wants to bet that 95% of the fgts posting itt won't ever read the books they bought?

Buying books as decoration is disgusting & you all sicken me.

I am the guy who reads on the toilet.

Τουλαχιστον δεν διαβαζεις kαμια Λενα Μαντα ή Καζαντζαkη(actual cuck).

Bought Thomas Pynchon's V and GR.
Disappointing books.

I guess I'm not fit for fiction. Every time I read non-fiction I have a nagging voice in my head wondering why I'm wasting time not learning about the non-fiction and world.

You know, life tends to be a bit easier if you convince yourself that people aren't actually out to disappoint you. If you believe that all these people might actually have bought these books to better themselves, you might feel more optimistic about other things, you sad fuck

I like you

>Mein Kampf
>The Bell Jar
>Norwegian Wood
One of these is not like the others.

Nice looking copies of Pynchon and Ulysses.

>A Farewell To Arms
Explains your terrible composition.

nigga how small are your books

Is Doctor Zhivago any good?

>Norm McDonald
Nice.
>Joyce
I have those exact editions too.

That Infinife Jest looks sweet.

>Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
I've heard it is one of his best.
>V by Thoms Pynchon
Good start, see i.4cdn.org/lit/1505323254468.jpg

>not learning about the non-fiction and world.
If you aren't applying this new knowledge, learning it is a waste of time.

>actual cuck
Τσιμπούkωνε την kαραμπίνα του παππού σου kαι τράβα την σkανδάλη, τουρkόσπορε.

How much emphasis do you give to a book cover?

I want it to be pretty but don't want to be superficial...

forgot pic

I really like that edition of Dune

I'm struggling on which one to get.

Thoughts?

Currently reading High-Rise

Michael Whelan's ones are pretty nice art pieces but if you want uniform Sanderson editions then the misty red ones are better. I have the red Way of kings and the Whelan Words of Radiance and the Words is literally falling apart after one read

If you are only going to read Stormllight archive I would suggest the Whelan cover. If you are going for the full Cosmere plunge I'd go with The Gollanz, They look pretty nice next to each other

>that picture
I vomited.

Adelaide?

Any thoughts? Some of these I should have read ages ago.

That edition has some egregious errors.

pls no bully

HEY!

Are you getting an MFA in creative writing? If so, where, how does your courseload look, have you taken any (do you like what it feels like), and what kind of a stipend are you receiving?

ye

>this triggers the Veeky Forums
And I don't mean resolution/file size

>Buying Hegel's POS when Pinkard translation will be available for proles in 2018 FEB.

I actually bought the Debord a while ago, it was just out on my desk like that.

Good book, though.

good to see some Matthiessen

Is the book about the Romanovs good?

Recent purchases so it's in my backlog, but the reviews were generally pretty positive. I purchased it on impulse as a followup (or contextual preface?) to "Lenin the Dictator" which I finished about a month ago, and that was a pretty good book. (Not the same authors, however, just blogposting.)

Matthiessen, very nice.

There's no need to read fiction if you feel like it's wasting your time, but do know that Pynchon is not the world's greatest fiction or something

Best "Complete" collections for Aristotle and Plato?

Any such for Nietzsche, Hegel, Husserl, Heidegger?

I guess I'm sort of hack in the way I define fiction. I didn't consider Goethe, Wagner, "fiction" and I enjoy them

Accuracy of content > cover but if you have a good edition already collecting for covers is obviously not an issue.

Read Brave New World if you haven't, looking good.

Man, you sure love genre fiction/fantasy.

Not sure if that Joyce is accurate.

I recognise none of those so can't bully.

How can you "mistranslate" Joyce? The fucker wrote his things in clear paper in mostly English etc.

What I'm saying is that it is not like Aristotle where his original works are gone

>How can you "mistranslate" Joyce?
Numerous editions contain inaccuracies and edits.

How? Did Joyce write in toilet paper? i'm going schizo now about my English books made by native English writers, if they're accurate, FUCK.

this.

the cover for that edition looks great but i fucking hate deckled edges. they fucking ruined it with deckled edges.

pls elaborate

They're not for reading. They just look cool. You only read the library books. Not that user, btw

>They're not for reading. They just look cool.
absolutely embarrassing

>actual cuck
Hang yourself

you find the Gass in the wild? if so, great find. Ever seen em at my book stores

fucking Malta has crap bookstores.

I just finished it, I read it in one sitting.
It's utterly fantastic.

wow wow what are these pollacks doing in lit

>touching someone else's cock by proxy
N-no homo

I think we're in the same class.

first time I've seen someone on here actually get maps of meaning, nice. Have you started reading it? What about Neumann? that book is in my to be read pile

>
Seconding this. Also if anyone else has thoughts on Maps of Meaning I'd love to hear them.

Ay would you fancy that, Thursday's 3pm per chance?

>You only read the library books
You either don't take notes in your books or you write in library books.
Either one is embarrassing.

Nah, Friday 9am

These are books that have been praised and are written by people who are roughly my age (~28). I want to compare them with my own writing and see if I am at least as good as them. So far I read the two ones on the bottom right: EENDLC is a decent compilation of Borges-wannabe short stories; Partir is one of the worst books I've ever read. Seriously, don't waste your time with that shit. Fucking Tao Lin is cited as a major influence in the prologue.

really good stuff wow

pretty good stuff my friend

>Zhivago
Legitimately consider it to be one of the best novels ever, hope you enjoy it