Reading fiction

>reading fiction
fucking why

I'll give you an honest pleb answer. I really enjoy doing it, it's better than any media out there. Life is boring, and I really don't any serious interests to read nonfiction.

When i'm tired of history and philosophy...boom. There goes the fiction.

cause I'm not a brainlet

daily reminder "nonfiction" is for redditors

>'literature is language charged with meaning'

Fiction provides numerous meaningful images and ideas and just because you lack the capacity to derive meaning from the experience is not proof that it is a futile act, rather it is only a demonstration of the limitations of your own uncultivated spirit that lacks the capacity to interact with the finer aspects of existence's beauty, glory, and truth.

Get a load of this pleb, he believes in fiction and non fiction dichotomy

>redditors

>brainlets

>watching films
>listening to music
>looking at paintings
Fucking why

To expand your mind and to light up your imagination brah.

History is the most nuanced, dramatic story ever told, with every lesson ever imitated by fiction waiting to be learned.

To expand my mind into places it has never been and beyond!

fun

>daydreaming
why
>watching a comedy when you could be watching a documentary on the six billionth stupid brother war in Europe, or on Chinese War where millions die over a minor spat no. 6,371 Type A
why

>assuming people actually watch TV

Fun things are fun

>thinking about something that isn't real
fucking why?

fiction's good but if you're above the 400 books range and read exclusively fiction then there's something terribly wrong.

why is it better to read something that is nonfiction instead of fiction?

For escapism.

Not saying one is better than the other, I'm saying there's a point where there's a hedonistic impulse to read fiction, it strikes me as they aren't thinking about what they're reading and just consuming it, letting it wash over them without leaving anything behind. My fiction reading led me into reading beyond fiction because I kept thinking what it is that makes these books work and what is behind the things they're saying, which inevitably shoots one off in different directions. Lit criticism, myth, theology, aesthetics, art, philosophy, politics, I can't imagine a circumstance in which you don't end up exploring these areas to some degree because of loving different pieces of fiction and wanting to know more about them. But I'm not just talking about a fiction-nonfiction dichotomy, I include drama and poetry which are important literary arts and anyone interested in literature should ideally be impelled towards them, but too many fiction readers just glance over completely. It's a red flag if poetry does nothing for you because it means you have no sense of close reading, which is something literature should be training you to do, but might not happen to someone who puts away books as hedonistic compulsion. When I see someone not exploring these different areas, I see someone who doesn't think about what they read.

tl;dr fiction primes you for a natural curiosity, and if you don't develop that despite gorging yourself then there's something wrong.

>reading fiction
>fucking why
Because reality is shit. It is a curse upon humanity that we are able to imagine a better reality than what we are stuck with.

This is a nice answer