How do you decide what you're going to write about?

Is it experience driven? Is it thought-driven? Is it driven by your reading? By pop culture? Do you actively seek out writing prompts?

>thinking ppl who appreciate literature are all wannabe writers

killax yaself

Read a lot of good books. Watch a lot of good anime. Create literature that feels literary but that operates like an anime. That's basically what I'm doing.

anime shit is my dude

you sure wanted to write that post lad

bugs... easy on the transformations

I'm trying to write a pulpy serial about a prison in a semi-AnCap city. I got the idea from looking at this picture when reading about prisons inside cities because I happened to be wondering why there aren't more prisons built right into the middle of urban areas. Then I saw this and it just seemed so aggressively dystopian. The grey concrete architecture, the idea of being in prison yet being surrounded by the busiest city on the planet outside your walls, even the name "The Tombs". It just seemed like a monument to despair and brutality.

I was also reading a little Judge Dredd beforehand so that probably had something to do with it.

actually whenever i see that federal detention center in downtown manhattan that had moussoui and madoff in it im like damn even to get a jail cell in manhattan you have to be one of the top achievers

Personally, whenever I've thought about writing a novel, it's always come back to my interests: Horror and sci-fi. Write about what interests you.

plebs gonna pleb, just b urself

good feedback, im taking that to heart

I know this is gonna sound faggy but I love genre, science fiction, fantasy, etc and my life I've had plenty of dark moments like father trying to kill himself to being beaten and I like the idea of applying those emotions or thoughts into stories because I ultimately do want these genres that I have loved as a child to be imbued with a touch of personal, whether it be longing, hate, love, alienation or whatever myself or others close to me have felt.

Doesn't sound faggy. Makes perfect sense.

This I think is one of the more obvious and common answers. It used to be my go-to when my interests were more worldly and immediately applicable to fiction. But then I lost a lot of my naivete, and with it, my interests kinda shifted to more boring, practical, academic and utilitarian stuff. Stuff that isn't as easy to write fiction about. A lot of my political passion died too, so I lack that flame of concern that makes many want to write. So I can approach fiction with writing prompts, but a lot of it feels cringey. I still want to write in my free time, but even as I get better at writing every year, finding WHAT to write about seems harder. It never seems adequate or worthwhile, and to sculpt a narrative out of this or that subject seems to involve suspending my sense of nuance or naivete, which on an ideological level I regard as dangerous, and potentially misleading to young readers.

Neat. Sounds like you've both tapped into a niche aesthetic for literature. Don't fuck up.

'operates like an anime', what this means?

Well what do you think it means?

I like to write and read, because it's my best tool for expressing myself, my thoughts, and my reality to others. Other mediums of art are so bloody subjective sometimes.

not that writing isn't subjective...

goku...go easy on the senzu beans

Easy on the doses, doc

Whenever I meet interesting people out in the world, I write about them when I get home. A lot of the times they or their stories are inspiration for my work.

I also have a theme that I have been relentlessly investigating since I can remember. While all of my books have a different theme, they all deal with my overarching theme in one way or another.

Find the thing you obsess over and add interesting characters to that mystery.

Then you're done.

It's the combination of having a unique ideas i haven't thought about and the willing of writing them at the moment.
Also things I like (like characters or settings) and my own personal fears have a strong influence in the stories I am currently developing.

I've got ideas accumulating in my head for some amount of time. Some of them begin to fuse together, interweave. Eventually a rough outline of the plot appears one day and a good deal of independent concepts that I've hoarded this far kind of fall into their places inside of it. As for the sources of inspiration, as pleb as it may sound, I do not hold prejudice against any particular medium. Literature, folklore and myth, movies, cartoons, anime, comics, manga. As long as the piece provides some valuable and interesting experince, it is worthy to me. I also like to take notes about my personal feelings and emotional states that I consider interesting. Sometimes I spice up the narrative with these descriptions, when I feel that it will make the story more lively.

It's word driven.