Friendly reminder if someone here's a nihilist call them out for being the reddit crossposter scum they are

friendly reminder if someone here's a nihilist call them out for being the reddit crossposter scum they are

Haha Rich and Morty I love that show

Agreed. This is a Christian imageboard, no fedoras allowed!

The Second Religiousness appears as a harbinger of the decline of mature Civilization into an ahistorical state. The Second Religiousness occurs concurrently with Caesarism, the final political constitution of Late Civilization. Caesarism is the rise of an authoritarian ruler, a new 'emperor' akin to Caesar or Augustus, taking the reins in reaction to a decline in creativity, ideology and energy after a culture has reached its high point and become a civilization.[15] Both the Second Religiousness and Caesarism demonstrate the lack of youthful strength or creativity that the Early Culture once possessed. The Second Religiousness is simply a rehashing of the original religious trend of the Culture.

>Spengler
>>>/pseudohistory/

What are we witnessing RIGHT NOW, then? Coincidentally religion and Caesarism has begun right when he predicted.

u mom is psudohistory lol

>not understanding scale

Way ahead of you buddy

How do I get a high enough IQ to understand Rick and Morty?

Rick lives life to the fullest though, he basically is Nietzsche uberman although he acts bored most of the time just for humour.

Where is the religiosity in society? By nearly all quantitative measures, religiosity and the influence of religion over public policy has declined drastically. Where is the Caesarism? Trump? Don't make me laugh. Trump is as close to an authoritarian autocrat as gecko is to a dinosaur. All I see going on in society is an extension of the previous postwar secularist humanist ideals. Either way, I can't think of one example of a civilization playing out in the way spengler described it. His model, ambiguous though it may be, doesn't seem to be very accurate.

Try LCD or mashrooms.

Nah man that's creativity

DUDE why can't you see it? The patterns clearly match. Trump = Caesarism. Atheism = Second Religiousness. It matches PERFECTLY. Dude whoa, how can't you just not see it? The decline is happening, I am sure of it, I've been looking for the right patterns for ages.

I can see the correlations between Caesarism and Trump, surely. Equating Second Religiousness to Atheism also makes sense, but seems, from my point of view, like a refundant prospect of civilization that has happened for ages. Either I dont have a great understanding of Second Religiousness, or its not on its way. We have to remember the political states of the world have shifted quite drastically. I would guess that peoples mindsets today are frankly unrecognizable from those of the past. Correct me if Im being naive.

Thanks to Reddit and Morty nihilism can't even be discussed properly anymore. It's become synonymous with wubalubadubdub and EDGE.

Most kids (and adults with the mind of a child) who talk about nihilism basically view it as "Nothing matters, therefore hedonism".

Mainstream understanding of nihilism: My name is not important. What IS important, is what I'm going to do...

desu I do believe we're going through a decline, but I lean towards the Strauss-howe generational theory: that American history happens in eighty year cycles. A major conflict happens roughly every eighty years, preceded by economic downturn and political instability, followed by a period of renewal and a change in values and attitudes. Often major technological change plays a part; as an upsetter of previous society before the conflict, used in warfare during the conflict, and further developed and integrated into the infrastructure afterwards.
The first revolutionary war (c.1780) would be the first conflict, followed by a period of expansionism and development of fundamental American values.
The civil war (c.1860) would be the second conflict, preceded by financial instability (panic of 1847 which fueled western colonization as homesteaders searched for better fortunes) and major political polarization and cultural tension between north and south (think bleeding Kansas), including absolute failure of moderates to come to a peaceful conclusion. During the war many new industrial technologies, like the major use of railroads and ironclad ships, were applied and led to the absolute defeat of the south which was a couple comparatively underdeveloped agrarian state. After the war there was a fundamental shift in American values with the abolition of slavery, rise in Federal power, combined with a major manufacturing and industrial expansion and an exponentially increasing population. American imperialism and internationalist ideals really took off here, but gradually lost steam in the increasing economic inequality of the 1920s and rise of the capitalist elite. Financial ruin and economic catastrophe followed, which eventually led to the third major conflict of ww2 (c. 1940). This conflict shaped the new world we live in today; new technologies such as aviation, mass communication in the form of television, advent of nuclear arms, an incredibly massive military industrial complex which lends power to the wilsonian internationalist views of the political elite.
After ww2 we get a whole new American society centered around the nuclear family and a capitalist, consumerist economy, with allegedly egalitarian progressive views. This leads us to today, certainly not the worst period in American history, but by a lot of economic markers we are suffering and stagnant, with inequality reaching new heights as the superwealthy neoliberal elite continue to maximize profits with very little in terms of civic oversight to keep them in check. Subjectively, everything seems a little bit off, about the culture, the institutions, the people.
According to the model, we're due for a major conflict by roughly 2020, or more specifically, the time when generation z is coming of age. There are a lot of new society-changing technologies being developed that will play a large part in this process.

>Where is the religiosity in society? By nearly all quantitative measures, religiosity and the influence of religion over public policy has declined drastically.

Or religion is pop culture and identity politics.

>All I see going on in society is an extension of the previous postwar secularist humanist ideals.

ie. of the collapse postwar secularist humanist ideals due to their inherent contradictions and the pressures of communicative capitalism. Marshall McLuhan wuz right, western liberalism is a product of a print based society dominated by the literate bourgeois individual. Liberalism cannot withstand an electronic media environment that demands total involvement.

Why is Popular Eastern Nihilism so much more positive than Popular Western Nihilism?

>shitting on rick and morty
>apparently a fan of that weird shooter game
1. ok but
2. wtf

Reminder that Spengler's model was backed up by experiments on rats decades after his work.

you are joking, right

most of the teenage R&M fans only see lack of meaning as a cool feature of Rick's character, not really a "philosophical stance", and if they aren't actually going to remember much of that in couple years (the show itself, okay, but not the details or concepts such as Rick's "nihilism" being associated with his high IQ).

almost teenagers go through an edgy phase either way, and the number of TV shows, shitty rock/screamo songs and other stimulants of that edginess is not very relevant (it's not like R&M has really contributed to these kids' worldview, trust me).

also, why would you want to discuss nihilism with 'adults with the mind of a child' anyway

Maybe he's trying to say that the weird shooter game also contributed to the fact that "nihilism can't even be discussed properly anymore"

joe rogan podcast

isn't this the default opinion of almost everyone? I find it hard to believe some German asshole philosopher was the first one to come up with this.

this.

feeling threatened by this show is understandable. but this has nothing to do with nihilism really. instead, it reduces nihilism to a stigmata that is related to the limit of language.

What makes people - and especially people interested in literature - so furious about this show, is its ability to show the paradox or limit of the scientific subject, that lies at the heart of aesthetic thinking - a thinking that identifies order as a shared frame of reference, within which books, pictures, art in the broadest sense are able to roam freely. This broad and expanding freedom is realized on the ground of an anthropology that identifies the human condition as endless trap between two extremes, both of which are power (not only power and privatio boni), where ethics evolves around the endless realization of balance (just look at all the lifebalance, yogagurus etc that are brought in by big companies in order to sustain workpower...)

What really is rusteling our jimmies tough, is the fact, that this show seems so content with its effort of showing the gounding paradox. A pragmatist would say - they go too far, they are terrorists in the sense, that they push comprehension to the point where it can't answear any more, where language breaks off because it is forced to speak that which put it in its place.

Take the last episode for instance - a shitload of references to popculture, political events, dynamics of minorities vs majority, psychoanalysis - it's a mess. They force you, in order to make sense of this, to push knowledge to a limit that is set too high for it to be humanly managable. Language is a systematics built upon metaphorical relations, transfering meaning in order to uphold common sense, making commensurable what previously didn't exist in relation. By pushing it to its limits, so the creators thought, this will lay open, what it is founded upon: the founding distinction. Basically: terrorizing thought, so that one cannot speak anymore and is forced to leave its functioning structures. *insert /pol/ here*

But one forgets so easily that Freedom is the ability to do something different from that which paralyzes and determines. if you let your thinking be dominated by the paradox that terrorism poses, you are actually the terrorist yourself: you do not conform to the concept of aesthetic freedom anymore.

It would really be worth investing some thought into the workings that brought about this situation that seems to challenge our thinking. a change in media, that amplified the dimension of freedom to a size that we cannot cope with at the moment. so 1. we need too learn to cope, otherwise we are all slaves to the thinking of terrorism. 2. We need to stark telling stories of freedom in a digital environment. Fiction was and is the key to freedom. 3. We need learn to trust again – trust is the ability to forget. Dont break the circle – cycle. It’s all we have.

Why is contemporary nihilism so much shittier than Solomonian nihilism?

quick rundown on this show?

You don't need an actual God for religiosity, you just need people to godify something. In our case, consumerism, hedonism, nihilism, and apathy, disguised as tolerance.

Yeah it's only now that nihilism is seen as joke

>implying the universe didn't being at my birth and won't die with me

It's not like I want to be a nihilist

Where does the Vietnam War, Gulf War, War in Afghanistan / Iraq fit into this?

I really don't think any of those things can be "godified". That's just a list of things you want to complain about. Nothing that's actually going to substitute for religion.
The world is more secular than it's ever been, and there's no way to twist that around. Or reverse it, probably.