What are the hardest science fiction books out there?

What are the hardest science fiction books out there?

Either books that are based in real science, or speculative fiction that puts a lot of thought into the progression and consequences of its technology, however far into the future it is set.

Other urls found in this thread:

english.lem.pl/works
quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-flaws-scientific-errors-and-plot-holes-scientific-or-otherwise-in-the-Interstellar-movie
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

2001 is said to be pretty hardy when it comes to this.
I will follow this topic with great interestelar.

Interstellar was the one that got a movie made about it, right? I thankfully didn't see the movie.

No, this is my phone fucking me up.
I mean interest*
I will follow your topic with interest, because I 2 wanna know the hardest of the hard.

Indeed. Bumping this thread with more images of Hong Kong.

3-body trilogy. I haven't the read the last one myself, but I really enjoyed the first two.

Just looked it up, looks like a very nice read, chalking that one up on the wishlist.

So, one for the list, lets see how many more we can get.

I've read two books by Stanislaw Łem and they're by far the hardest sci-fi books I've ever read. They are "The master's voice" and "Solaris" and expecially the first are packed with a lot of philosophy and science

Apparently he's got his own website.

english.lem.pl/works

>one for the list
Surely you mean three for the list, user?

Well 'jokes' aside, I have also heard good things about Blindsight by Peter Watts. I haven't read it myself though, so I'm just passing on the recommendation that I got from some(where/body) else

E G A N
G
A
N

The Second Apocalypse Heptalogy.

The hardest science fiction you will find.

>is a Canadian fantasy author

Wait, what?

Don't let that fool you, it's actually hard sci-fi a la Lord of Light.

Try Greg Bear's work, especially Eon

>tfw no qt Ann gf to watch the rocks together

Interstellar the movie was about as hard as my limp cock right now.
To call it a spit in the face of science would be an understatement.

It was just a typo m8. Calm down

Greg Egan's Diaspora is pretty high tier.

probably not the hardest you can find, but the forever war was a pretty nice take on space war

related to OP's question, is there anything decent about a near-feasible-future like the anime Planetes in book form?

even though i wouldn't watch it again, if you delete the magical library and the family/earth sub-plot the space stuff was decent.

Book of the New Sun

I wonder why everyone thinks this.
Not to be a fedoratipper or anything but I guess for normal people that know "sort of something" about space and not more, nothing really seems to pop up to them as strange. I genuinely don't want to insult you and I don't think you're an idiot, user.

But there's tons of idiotic things, mostly to do with the black hole and the gravity of its effects. I know they hire physics consultatnts for this kind of things, but it all is just falling apart at the seams in this movie in various ways. It's sort of as if the story was already written and then they tried to fit the physics to the story, instead of the opposite.

I wish I could have enjoyed the movie - and I really, really liked the first parts that were on Earth. But for me, the rest was a disaster, and I'm not even talking about the love magic alien tesseract.

*and the effects of its gravity
i am dumb

>But there's tons of idiotic things, mostly to do with the black hole and the gravity of its effects. I know they hire physics consultatnts for this kind of things, but it all is just falling apart at the seams in this movie in various ways. It's sort of as if the story was already written and then they tried to fit the physics to the story, instead of the opposite.
can you be specific? i don't remember anything too crazy, except maybe:
- the radiation from the accretion disk not frying every planet on its reach
- the wormhole

not sure if you mean that the calculation for the time dilation and the tide stuff wouldn't work out in reality, but the concepts themselves exist in reality even if they would work in a different scale in the real world

Awesome design.

I too don't remember much anymore and I don't really want to talk about the movie, but I remember being really disappointed. I'll try to tell you what I can think of off the top of my head.

I remember there was some kind of a signal being sent back from the planets in an interval. I remember having a problem with that and time dilation. Not sure what specifically though. Maybe it was beeping all the time with the same frequency or something.

Also >a blackhole through a wormhole next to Saturn and everything is totally fine and dandy in our solar system. I mean, fine, it's a wormhole and you can take some storytelling liberties but they didn't even bother to address this.

Whatever was going on the water planet was totally stupid and preventable if the characters weren't stupid. When I'm writing these, I'm realising that it's not actually just science, it's science coupled with stupid writing.

The main character getting even close to the horizon. There'd be a ridiculous amount of sanic fast garbage/gas floating around.

etc., etc.
You get the idea, I think. I made a really butthurt comment on Reddit about this a long time ago, it was pretty long, but I deleted my account, so it's gone. Shame I can't remember more right now. Maybe that's for the best.

>omg the movie was so inaccurate it's an insult to science
>how?
>nothing specific lol
great post turbo autist

Sure, user.

Not that guy, but there was also the speech by Ann Hathaway's character about how the only thing that travels faster than the speed of light is LOVE. And the characters back on earth, the guys daughter, her story was cliched and annoying. Like when she figures out how to save errybody, and she throws her papers in the air and kisses her boyfriend. Perhaps that is how she would have acted...but it seemed fake and overdone to me.

Posts from other physics autist are one google search away.
quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-flaws-scientific-errors-and-plot-holes-scientific-or-otherwise-in-the-Interstellar-movie

Was going to say this, also Linda Nagata wrote a trilogy beginning with the bohr maker that is dense and scientific, and also follows humanity over the eons til they are nearly unrecognizable.

>also follows humanity over the eons til they are nearly unrecognizable
Oh, is that what happens in the 3rd book of 3-body too? Sounds exciting. Guess I better get to it soon

I'm reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I think it's quite hard to follow. Harder than A Scanner Darkly. But maybe it's because I was reading sloppily/lazily. I will have to start from the beginning again and read better because I don't understand shit.

Infinite Jest an Rainbow's Gravity have sci-fi elements, and they're hard as fuck

>hard science fiction books
Okssimoroon