What does Veeky Forums think of Terry Pratchett...

What does Veeky Forums think of Terry Pratchett? I've been thinking about recuperating some of his works since I didn't had a chance when I was younger. Suggestions?

I hope I wrote clearly, I am pretty tired so sorry in advance if not.

I have only read Mort and it was alright
Bump

small gods, mort, moving pictures, pyramids are pretty good.

Making Money and Going Postal are pretty good.

Crushingly unfunny "nerd humor" barely half a tier above comedic DND campaigns and XKCD.

Second favorite fantasy writer behind Brandon Sanderson.

I've read about 15 Discworld books already and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Equal Rites is my favorite I have to say.

that's unfair. there are more jokes about society, history, etc. and fairly few unicorns n elves jokes

your pic says it all, really. guards guards is a worthy starting point

i started with color of magic and light fantastic, though, and still managed to get into the series, so if you're something of a "start with the first book" person it's not a bad choice

Let's play "Spot the Hipster."

(it's this asshole)

I'd say start with the first three or four books. Pratchett was developing his universe as he was going along, and the early books are easy to get into and give you the basics. Also, his parody of classic sword and sorcery is amusing and Rincewind is a hilarious protagonist. You can branch out later, but there's nothing wrong about starting with the Colour of Magic.

OP here, thank you all for your inputs.

So perfect for me, being the dork I am?
Jk

The worldbuilding was actually something that worried me somewhat, so I should probably start from the beginning.

I became curious when I was gifted The Science of Discworld a long while ago, but never actually got around to read it seriously for various reasons.
On a similar note I've been thinking of getting pic related too. I know it's not connected, but it can give me some insight on both authors.

Considering I very much like fantasy and fiction the amount of reading I've been doing is really abysmall small. Also, sorry for spacing.

I read the first 6-7 books years ago from the library and didn't bother continuing, so I can't comment on the later ones. But most of those were good reads. Color of Magic/The Light Fantastic is a logical starting place since it's more of a classic adventure, with Rincewind being led around the world experiencing crazy things, and gives you a crash course of the setting. Mort and Equal Rites are a break from the first two and focus on other characters, Mort is particularly good and sticks with me after all this time. Sourcery continues the story of Rincewind but already the writing was noticeably different and less straightforward than the first two books. With Wyrd Sisters and onward I'd say the world was pretty much developed at that point.

I guess you could either read them in publishing order or focus on a particular group of characters, there's no real compulsion to have a strict order.

Used to read tons of his books when I was younger. I remember the Tiffany Aching books being extremely cozy.

Also, The Long Earth with Stephen Baxter was a really neat book if you're into sci-fi. Its very different from most of Pratchet's other stuff iirc

My favorite is Small Gods, though it's a completely separate story from the others.

fucking do it. good omens is a brilliant read.

get it on audiobook if you can help it, it's really well-narrated.

So we'll never know what magic spell he knows?

I believe he said it before Sorcery.

*saurcery

*sourcery

my first and favourite was carpe jugulum, i'm inspired to reread it now

good omens is pratchet and gaiman at their weakest, skip it and read their solo stuff.

Why don't you post in your general? Huh!? Huh?? We have these neat little boxes for a reason! Get in toe, and go toe the line, now, go in line and tow it. DO YOU NOT SPEAK ENGLISH, MOTHER SHRIEKER!!! (YAWW...!)? Well, oh well, whatever, man, whatever you say. Put this in the science fact general, because this shieeet is scientific fact. Get it? Got it? Got milk? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP what you sow. Now the entire place is on fire, and the fire represents these threads about science fact. Please, please my sensibility to post in the post about science fact. The general, General, is called... SCIENCE FACT. Whoop. Whoop. Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop.

Excellent YA (and up) famtasy, probably the writer who influenced me the most. Later books drop off abit and he had a tendency to be slightly hammy, but I think the series overall is fantastic, and very funny. For what it's worth, I woulnd't be the person I am today without reading Discworld. I feel that their status as "funny" books led to people and critics dismissing them, but there are some incredible human moments in thud! and Night Watch etc. Some of the satire is 10/10 as well.

Pratchett books can be rughly organized according to which characters are the focus (death book circle, the witches circle , nightwatch circle and so on)

i strongly urge you ro read the books associated with the nightwatch characters ,general concensus is those are the best.

avoid the witches in the beginning the characters can be pretty grating until you "get" the setting

well , he does know "half a brickstone in a sock" thats pretty effective against most things

Don't worry about world building in Discworld. It happens but it isn't daunting at all. I actually started with The Colour of Magic and just read every Discworld novel in publication border. I had a great time, but there's nothing wrong with reading the books in any order. If you don't feel good with reading out of publication order I'd still recommend that you start with Guards! Guards! and then go back to the Colour of Magic, proceeding to then read them in order. I think that would give you a very strong first impression of Pratchett's writing so that when you go to the weaker early novels you understand how much he improves over time and can enjoy actually experiencing that improvement book to book as you catch up to Guards! Guards!.

This.

The Watch series works as straight detective fiction as well as satire, and as fantasy.
Most of his best insights about society, power etc are in there

Discworld is one of my favourite sagas in the world. So creative and funny, i've laughed outloud so many times with it i can't even count.
He's one of my favs.

He said it in The Light Fantastic, at the end, nigga.
It helped create new giant turtles.

Night Watch is his best IMO.

I tried reading the science of disc world, but the science parts bored me and I found the bits with the wizard characters more interesting. Are all the terry pratchett books like this?

Well, the Discworld books are more like the Wizard parts, yes, since the SCience of Discworld was co-written by Pratchett and a scientist. I found the science parts to be pretty boring as well, can't even remember any of it. The Wizard parts were pretty much a sideplot but it gives you an idea of what Discworld is all about.

I suggest starting with Sourcery and Small Gods if you're interested,

Thank you so much, I didnt want to give up on the series after only reading one book. So I'll give it another go.

I'm in the minority on this one, but I think the Death novels are his best. His take on mortality is unique, especially as culture gets progressively edgier.

Also, Susan is my waifu.

The Death ones would maybe be my favourite, but I'm a sucker for Rincewind. Shame he did write one "last" novel with him, but it wasn't really needed either. Death is a supremely comfy character, though.

I don't know if I could pick a favorite but some of the books I liked the most were Small Gods, Reaper Man, Men at Arms, and Feet of Clay

>gifted Science of Discworld
>started late reading Pterry
Are you past me?

Get the various watch books, Small Gods, and Thief of Time for sure.

that's what I'm listening to right now.

NICE

Personally, as the entirety of Veeky Forums, I wouldn't recommend him to an adult. He's a good children's writer.