Found this old bible, what language is this?

Found this old bible, what language is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

pomog.org/bible_slav/matthew.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks greek, so probably some older form of cyrillic present among slavs. Глaвa translates to chapter.

Seems like a cyrillic alphabet with a strange font

This is the outside. Is there any way to date a bible? How old even is this thing?
The velvet makes me thing its relatively young

It could be pretty old. Crkvenoslovenski was used in Serbia before the creation of our modern cyrillic script. Crkvenoslovenski translates to 'church-slavic'.

Looks beautiful user, how'd you get it?

I got a crate filled with old books, some rare and some j have no idea about. This and a German bible was in t

Nice.
Could you find any sort of printing date in the book?

Yes, on the inside of the clamp it says
F M S C BB 1802

The f could be an I or an L, I'm bad a cursive fonts like that

It also might be Dutch, Eastern European languages are always confusing to me.
I'm still trying to tell if the metal is silver or iron

how do I get myself a crate with old books

Live in a city where the population is nothing but old people and buy cars at garage sales. My personally library is always growing.

Crates not cars. Autocorrect

It's German.

I think it's a J or an I - I'm pretty sure it's neither F nor L.

I'm jealous. Reading Fraktur requires some concentration but is still perfectly understandable.

That would look great in the fiction section of my bookshelf.

Greek-- FYI, most early bibles are.
One of the first languages the bible was translated into.

That looks Eastern Orthodox AS FUCK

Old Russian

illegal to take it out of the country afaik, reported to fsb

Were these actually illegal to smuggle out st the time? How did it end up in california?

The use of Ï makes me think pre-Soviet Ukrainian or Belorussian is more likely.

>FYI, most early bibles are.
FYI, "early bibles" aren't printed...

#REKT

you need to take that back to the hogwarts library user
professor flitwick has been looking for it for ages

OP, can you send some photos from pages within the book
From this page, it's some old form of Cyrillic.
It uses the ѧ letter. Meaning it could possibly be:
Old Russian
Old Romanian
Old Polish
Old Church Slavonic
Old Bulgarian

You can pretty safely eliminate Old Polish because that book looks orthodox as fuck.

>a Bible from 1802 is an "early Bible"
You are not very intelligent

Oh, cmon. Intelligence and education are two different things.

That's (pic related) how an old greek text looks like. There are only capital letters and there's no word division. (It's horrible to read if you're not an expert.)

Can you show a front page of the book, OP?

BIBLIA
That is, the entire divine holy scripture of the old and the new testament, in the translation of Dr. Martin Luther, with prefixed short contents of every chapter, and added correct passages; with concord of the triad root, as well as assorted old and new editions, carefully worked out thereupon. In addition to a foreword by Mr. Joan. Fransisci Buddei, formerly of the holy scripture [...] in Jena, wherein an introduction for an elevated reading of the holy scripture is given. With royal Prussian utmost gracious privileges. Minden, 1799. Printing and publication by Johann Wolph Müller.

Not directly translated, but I hope you get the geist of it, and I'm not a germanfag or particularly versed in Fraktur. The part I didn't get in brackets is probably another, earlier edition of the scripture for which this Johannes Fransisci Buddei (I think) was responsible.

You have to be pretty clueless about languages to think that's in Greek. The language is obviously Slavic.

>Johann Wolph Müller
It's Johann Adolph Müller.

Polish isn't written with Cyrillic, but Latin. Also, Old Church Slavonic is probably the language of this Bible, my Orthodox grand-parents speak it and pray in it even though they're Polish, I think its the same in any other Orthodox country/community, especially in the early XIXth.

How is 'Old Church Slavonic' not the first post? And why is there debate about it?

> history board

>why is there debate about it?
Because it could also be Early Ukrainian, Belorussian or a non-standardized form of imperial Russian from a border community. But OCS is still the most likely answer.

>How is 'Old Church Slavonic' not the first post?
That was kind-of the first answer since basically said that without knowing what OCS was called.

Sorry, I was busy

There is also a single color page, which makes me think it's newer, probably mid 20th century

I'm probably going to end up contributing a red herring here, but maybe Coptic or something? I have no idea. It's a cool find no matter what it is.

That page says something about Matthew's Gospel. Definitely Old Church Slavonic.

> From Matthrew, something ... gospel:
> something from the beginning:
> The book ...

> Something ... our ... Jesus Christ ... something ... gospel.

Coptic and OCS are totally different.

The coloured art work (Unlike a coloured photo) doesn't mean that it is newer. I have seen several German books from as early as the 1840s with similar images.

pomog.org/bible_slav/matthew.pdf
Literally found it

From the big "K":
This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham. Abraham was the father of Isaac,Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar, Perez the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab thefather of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz...

It's Church Slavonic indeed.

Is this when /thread should be called?

>OCS
pictured looks like a different book, and it has side by side greek(?) and arabic

I think it is Coptic

I think, it's a misunderstanding.

user posted
most propably to show what Coptic looks like, because he thought OP's bible might be Coptic
other user just stated that Coptic and OCS look "totally different".

And yes, the other book (not OP's bible) seems to be a Coptic (not a Greek) bible - Coptic looks like Greek, but it has some additional letters.

I'd say t's Old Church Slavonic.

It says here that it was printed in Kiev, in Kiev Pechersk Lavra, a monastery.

It may be hard for a beginner that doesn't know how it works to figure out what is written in Cyrillic because in Church Slavonic the words are not fully written and the alphabet tends to differ.

You here have
ГДA HAШEГO
IЙCA ХPTA
CTOE EVAHГEЛÏE

that would be (fully) written like that
ГOCПOДA HAШEГO
ИЙCУCA ХPИCTA
CBЯTOE EBAHГEЛИE

Which means something like
OUR LORD
JESUS CHRIST'S
HOLY GOSPEL

here it says that it's the Gospel of Matthew.

here you have on the left Saint Matthew (Cвятoй Maтдeй, old form of Maтфeй)
On the right you have a big БГЪ with some accent, which means "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." (B нaчaлe coтвopил Бoг нeбo и зeмлю.) from Genesis 1:1.
And it's about the apostle Matthew.

For the rest, see

This wonderful thread actually made me believe in /lit again.
I envy you for those two Bibles, OP - I hope you esteem them properly.

Shit. It's all Greek to me.

OP here, I googled "Metal Slavic Bible" and found this image. It doesn't give information, but it's extremely similar. The only difference is the cloth on the staff is stationary while on mine it's moving in the wind

Thanks. These are just a few of of the interesting things I've found in this crate, I found books as old as 1642, and an odd collection of books from 1774 that appear to be missing a third volume

Here is a better look at the cover of my book, so you can see how similar it is to this one

Looks like brazilian gibberish to me. Perhaps with some italian mumbo jumbo mixed in. It's not a bible though; it's a cookbook. Nice find op

this user is right, i'd say its almost certainly old church slavonic

go to any orthodox church and theyll use a bible exactly like this for the liturgy

>the bible was translated into Greek
the relevant part (NT) was written in Greek dunderhead

> Polish
lolno, despite the last 200 years of history, they really aren't russian

reading fraktur requires concentration?
So far the only script I've seen that really needs you to focus is roman cursive.
fraktur reads smooth like butter.