I bought a grill back in july last year...

i bought a grill back in july last year. only used it twice for hamburgers and pork chops and its been sitting outside without a cover for over 7 months. i have cleaned and reasoned the grill grates, but the haul itself aswell as the charcoal tray is untouched.

my question is whats the best way to clean the thing? i wanna cook steaks later on it. do i just fill it with charcoal and l et it burn away all the germs/insects/webs and whatever else might be inside it and on top of it? i assume that would be enough of a purge. or do i actually take soap and water to it and scrub it then use a fire to dry off any moisture?

i honestly dont know, ive always cooked on stove, im an amateur griller.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html
weber.com/US/en/blog/grilled-steaks-the-reverse-sear
youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08
amazon.ca/Cappec-Bluetooth-Digital-Thermometer-Smoker/dp/B00I3BUSHS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A simple burn off and wire scrub is totally fine. I would never use soap on my grill.

did i fuck up by buying a silicone grill brush? i was so scared of wire bristles breaking off and fucking up my mouth... ive heard the horror stories

oops, i meant nylon brush

>i have cleaned and reasoned the grill grates
Stay away from grill grates that need seasoned.
replace them ASAP with stainless.

Whatever you do, make sure it reads 600 degrees before you put any meat near it.

the only reason i seasoned them is because i fucked up and hard scraped off the original season coating with stainless steal wash pads when i was trying to clean the cooked food off the grates...

but i thought reasoning them a few times would make it fine. why do i need to replace?

600?? geez thats high. the problem with that is that my grills manual says to never go over 400. but fuck it, its a $120 grill, whats the worse that can happen?

>why do i need to replace?
Grills go up past 500F which automatically strips seasoning. You're chasing your own tail.

its cast iron, if i oil it down before cooking would it not just reaseason itself at those temps? thats what ive always been told. it works with cast iron skillets, i dont see how cast iron grates are any different.

i mean i work at a hardware store in the seasonal department no less, so replacing it is simple. just what you are saying contradicts everything ive already learned.

nuke the living shit out of your meat on a grill, place a pad of butter on the top of your meat and allow it to drip into the grill so that fire licks flavour up onto your steak.

Trust me. Don't create a fire, but don't let it starve.

>would it not just reaseason itself at those temps?
Grills go up past 500F which automatically strips seasoning

Fill it with charcoal and ignite like you normally would start up the grill. In the time it takes to let those coals die down, the heat (or flames depending on if you use those whack ass lighter fluid briquettes) should take care of any potential bacteria and as far as wire brushes go, i also tend to stay away from them. Usually i take my spatula and scrape away the bullshit off of the grill surface or ill just let it crisp up and fall off. If slaves in the colonial days could get away with cooking pork scraps over a fire on shitty scraps of chicken-wire without dying of food poisoning, you’ll get away with grilling some steaks in a legit weber or whatever.

what do you mean by "nuke the living shit out of your meat"?

which is why you control your temps. no cook should go over 500f...

I'm glad I never have to eat your shitty steaks

How high do you think a grate needs to be to sear steak? Jesus, if you can get away with it on your stove you can get away with it on a grate. Flames do not need to be so fucking intense, You morons and your high flame memes. You will still get the same flame flavor on a low flame without setting your grill on fire with ass tons of butter/lard.

fast searing between 600 and 700 degrees. It makes for a great steak.

Over 500

>sear marks

lol....

>You will still get the same flame flavor on a low flame without setting your grill on fire with ass tons of butter/lard.

what idiot told you that?

learn some generic cooking en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

>he forms a crust with a low fire

false retards.

seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

slow cook on grill for that smoke and flame flavor then finish off the sear in a cast iron skillet on your stove. very fucking basic. cooking a steak fast is the lazy way, you get more flavor if you cook it slow and let that wood and flame flavor fully sink into the meat.

He's also a proponent of sous vide.
so sous vide then hot sear.

Same thing, you fucking idiot, Malliard reaction at the end. That's the goddamn recipe I posted here 20 fucking times.

God you people are just miserable assholes all the time.

Why do you people bother to exist?

Do you have even one friend? That person should take you in hand and tell you to shut the fuck up.

>its cast iron
Do you store cast iron pans outside with the grill?

Its not the fucking same

weber.com/US/en/blog/grilled-steaks-the-reverse-sear

The point is that your grill does not need to be 500f to cook a steak, Hence controlling your temps. Your argument is that the steak would be "awful" if not cooked fast and on a very high flame to get those meme grill marks. I proved that this is not true because you can cook your steak slowly on the grill at lower than 500f temps and then sear it on cast iron skillet to seal it in.

Do you want to argue fucking grill marks vs pan searing with me?

no, but i store my cast iron grates inside with my cast iron pans. is that also a problem?

idk whats true anymore, these anons are arguing. i just want to get my grill clean so i dont die from ebola.

>fucking grill marks
not that user but i'll argue crusts

>no, but i store my cast iron grates inside with my cast iron pans. is that also a problem?
I guess, I wouldn't buy a gril that needed that much coddling. store inside...fuck that.

I've actually done it, you stupid asshole. reverse to 125, rest, then place it on a 700f grill. It makes the best steak you've ever tasted. You're just some stupid jackass. I've actually cooked it at least 15 times.

Do you want me to photograph my digital thermometers because you're some stupid cunt?

So will i. the crust is far better on a pan sear than on grates because it encompasses the ENTIRE steak. This is why its best to slow cook steak on grill then hard pan sear on stove.

Everyone here knows im right, this guy just doesn't want to be wrong. Ffucking 500f on a grill cook, holy shit.

Dude. you. keep missing. the. point.

why would you sear it on a 700f grill when you can just take it inside and get a better crust and sear on your skillet??? Why do you need to raise your grill temps that high??? You get a better sear on pan anyway!

heres the guy from serious eats
Watch and learn
youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw&t=

This is horse shit. You've never flame grilled a steak at 700f. You place a pad of butter on top of the steak, it flame licks like in EVERY STEAKHOUSE you stupid idiots have ever eaten in and it creates a char broiled crust.

How do you idiots not figure this out. "I go to a steak house and it's the best crust I've ever had" OMG how did they do it? It's like talking to sentient wood.

why are you taking your anger out on me guy lol

Because I'm bored and watching television? I don't give a shit about 'this guy'. You have a problem abusing people who are stupid and wrong?

>take it inside
And set off smoke alarms. Fuck off retard.

yes
imagine taking a toothbrush to all this burnt on fossilized shit
that's what it will be like

>adam savage

ive already seen that vid. Its pointless because he never even tested it on a pan. infact he didnt test reverse sear period. What are you trying to prove with that vid? Is this where you are getting all of your grill mark hype from? an adam savage video?

Do you grill 'inside' dipshit? Where's your fucking grill?

it's the dude from serious eats you fucking mong.

fire isnt gonna lick up flavor and youre an idiot. why don't you just tell him to pour a pot of soup onto the grill too, itll leave less of a mess than what youre suggesting.

Apparently he does. Read the quoted post, shit for brains. >why would you sear it on a 700f grill when you can just take it inside and get a better crust and sear on your skillet?

>another retard

You do know you can just take simple aluminum foil and scrape off the carbonized food right? The entire point of burning it to a point of canonization is to make it extremely soft for easy removal...

You've never cooked a steak in your life. Fat and oil at 700f burns off in a flame. Don't you even know that? This channel is like talking to Kindergarten.

At least you fucking idiots have helped me through a few shots of vodka. I guess that's what under people end up doing. Just kind of greasing the wheels for other people.

You don't quite know how stupid you are until the end.

>he didn't know the asian/mexican/whatever guy in the video was the guy he was linking to in earlier posts.

And your point is...? Fact remains the same, he did not test pan sear, he did not test reverse sear. Its a half assed video for savage and kids like you are eating it up and believing it. How can you claim what the best method for searing is when you dont even test all methods? Both of them are retarded.

Its like having uncovered sex with a hooker and only getting tested for 3 types of STDs rather than ALL types.

>he did not test reverse sear.
sous vide is a form of reverse sear.

they didn't sear before the cooking the steak. mong.

>he doesnt have a stove exhaust fan.

do you live in a cardboard box or something?

first you said it burns off at 500f, now you are saying 700f. which is it?

jesus christ, you fucking people. Can't you fucking people follow a single link and figure out whats going on?

This goddamn site full of human mistakes.

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

Now shut up. Grow up. and Learn the Malliard PROCESS.

>exhaust fans in homes shouldn't be balanced with ventilation systems
Have you ever built a home? No you still live with mommy don't you, faggot.

Also
>needing ventilation in a cardboard box.
Again you make no fucking sense.
off yourself.

that video proves you dont need to bring a grill to 500f and it proves you can sear it on the stove without burning your house down and setting off alarms like some other retard said

>Never using a wood fire oven or campfire to cook

You human penises need to get a remote digital thermometer.

I bought the cappec thing.

amazon.ca/Cappec-Bluetooth-Digital-Thermometer-Smoker/dp/B00I3BUSHS

It's piece of shit. Get a real, quality remote thermometer and learn how to reverse fucking sear. You don't need to be there, just watch your phone for temperatures.

>fudehouse
Immediately closed.

Adam Savage has more of a reputation in cooking and he isn't even known for it.

so you are saying you dont have proper ventilation systems in your house and that you infact live in a cardboard box?

Na bro. I'm just going to set back in laugh at you.

Go ahead and buy that huge 1000CFM fan and use it.

you really don't understand outdoor fucking gas grills, do you? the hell is wrong with you? it's like talking to someone on the spectrum. Have you seen an outdoor grill? You realize it doesn't touch flammable shit, right?

Are all of you assholes confined to indoors? Are you in prison?

>Cant afford $123 ranges and another $80-$100 for installation.

Just say you are too poor to afford a proper kitchen user.

>gas grills

Found the problem guys!

Did I forget to post the device I use on my fucking porch?

You've gone from weird to shocking.

Yeah, that price range will get the smoke out of the house
LMAO, just kys. Put a grocery bag over your head and asphyxiate, you'll then learn about positve and negative pressure while you die.

How do you create amazing steaks? Pan frying is like the McDonalds of steak.

Hey! mcdonalds hamburgers have excellent crusts

You go to a steakhouse and eat pan fried steak, do you?

>he actually thinks you need industrial level fans to move pan smoke out of your home.

calm down with the autism user...

I know I'm talking with teenagers, but you people are even shitty for teenagers.

Id rather put a pan on a charcoal/wood fuel grill and cook directly on that pan than eat the disgusting flavorless shit that comes from a gass grill.

you don't put it on a pan, idiot, you put it on a grill.
and I agree with you grill on charcoal. stop sounding like an asshole when you're ostensibly right.

>you don't put it on a pan
pans make great crusts like mcdonalds hamburgers!

hey shitlips. Remember what a bk burger tastes like. That's "broiling' aka flame broiling. The same shit your stupid fucking steak ends up having because you're too stupid to know how to cook a single piece of food.

I love typing this shit every day for you Kindergarteners. Trolls or what not, you're fun to play with. I type the truth and you human gibbles figure out how to piss off your mothers.

BK > mcdonalds faggot

That's just what I said. wow. You're drunker than I am.

No you didn't faggot.

you can be a hipster and try to insult people for eating mc burgers all you want, but mcdonalds burgers are actually pretty good.

There is no reasoning with grills. Dump her and move on.

>Dump her and move on.
Especially ones that need to be coddled or they rust on you.

at least you garbage people get to live in Kansas and suffer. Just people who couldn't cook to save their own lives. I'm happy you people will live rough. Like homeless people who aren't homeless.

She wants that blackened sausage anyway

T. coastie apartment fag that wishes he had a grill but his nazi apartment lease won't let him

stop being a faggot. just use it as if it were clean. fire kills germs

i think you mean "reseasoning with them"

heh...

85 replies
10 posters

this thread is fucked.

i think you mean "this thread is LIT"

heh heh...

Hey guys seriously, im cooking these things to medium rare to medium. i dont want to get aids.

give me a summary of how to proerply clean the haul

let the cast iron rust and spray it with wd-40.
It works, I saw it on youtube.

you said not to get cast iron tho.

but you didn't listen and got them.
So thats how you clean 'em.

but i was never even talking about the grates to begin with, i was talking about the interior haul of the main grill itself. the grates are clean and always have been.

Until you fire up the grill and burn off the seasoning.

>It's like talking to sentient wood.
What a relatable analogy...

>burning it to a point of canonization
wtf am i reading

Not necessarily. So if your concern with a wire brush is the wire bristles breaking off, you can take a second pass using the nylon brush to remove any wires instead of grease removal. A wet rag would serve the same purpose.

To clarify, my metal scrub isn't wires, but woven metal ribbons. Much less risk with that type of brush.

The cardboard box comment was calling you poor

Why would someone in a cardboard box need ventilation? That only makes sense for stupid fuckers.