“The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies...

“The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea. Rocket man is on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime.”

Why's Trump got a hard-on for Slothrop?

Other urls found in this thread:

thestar.com/news/canada/2017/09/14/policy-says-us-will-not-defend-canada-from-ballistic-missile-attack-general.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The removal of Pavlovian conditioning I think.

>Rocket man
Trump for best shitposter

>Slothrop becomes the crazed dictator of an East Asian communist autocrac

Pynchonfags WILL defend this

Seems like the media is going crazy over this, but is it that bad? By calling him "Rocket Man" he is basically saying he doesn't deserve the respect of a normal political leader.

The Rocket Man line is enough to put Trump in the running for greatest president of all time. I didn't vote for him, but now I'm kind of wishing I did.

I'd argue he deserves more. Unlike someone like Trump, who narcisstically vies for power, Kim Jon Un inherited his office at the barrel of a gun. He would have been killed had he refused. He was raised for a singular purpose, defending a nation that can not be defended. He strives under sanctions, blockades, international scorn, and worldwide hatred of Communism. Should his economy or nation ever prosper, it would be in spite of the UN, the USA, and nearly every other industrialized nation which since the Korean War has conspired to make sure the tiny Communist nation, with the population and land mass not much bigger than Florida, will never succeed.

PS: Not a tankie. I legit feel sorry the guy got a job like that. He was born into one of the more difficult positions history has had to offer. And he looks like a fucking dork.

someone write the sequel

This world has become more gravity's rainbow than gravity's rainbow

>Should his economy or nation ever prosper, it would be in spite of the UN, the USA, and nearly every other industrialized nation which since the Korean War has conspired to make sure the tiny Communist nation, with the population and land mass not much bigger than Florida, will never succeed.
North Korea actually has somewhat improved economically since Kim Jong Un took over.

It's insulting and he's bringing himself to the same level as Kim ("we destroy you we stronk and you are silly"). He's literally threatening to massacre millions of innocent people.
That's how I see it, at least, I didn't really notice any reactions in the media (I'm euro so I only heard of the op quote). He does have a point IMO but he communicates it in a primitive and clumsy way.

>this is what passes for good oratory today

all hail rocket man

They're probably upset it's rhetorically crude and unusual diplomatic language but the real issue is that the Trump administration doesn't seem to actually have a policy on NK, they just keep making baseless threats which is going to hurt your reputation when you don't actually follow up.
NK has already been allowed to launch missiles over a US ally, Japan, and the policy, besides what Trump said there, isn't to actually intercept missiles not going over US territory
thestar.com/news/canada/2017/09/14/policy-says-us-will-not-defend-canada-from-ballistic-missile-attack-general.html
>“We’re being told in Colorado Springs that the extant U.S. policy is not to defend Canada,” said Lt.-Gen. Pierre St-Amand, deputy commander of Colorado-based Norad.
If NK wants to really escalate the situation a lot they will start launching ICBM's off the west coast of Canada/Mexico next to demonstrate North America is technically reachable. Their tech, if not actually already there, will be capable of this within at least a year.
Kim has no reason to back down, backing down now would be suicidal more so than just keeping the course since he saw what happened when Gaddafi gave up his WMD's in exchange for entry into the global mainstream.

This guy gets it

We are living in a time when a world leader called another leader "Rocket Man." Could things get any better?

kim... easy on the rockets

i literally thought of this as well. so strange. right in the middle of gr as well

haha raketen mensch

Yea, no.
Leadership should be about facts, applied methods - results.

We had good orators for all of history, didn't help much.

>Kim has no reason to back down, backing down now would be suicidal more so than just keeping the course since he saw what happened when Gaddafi gave up his WMD's in exchange for entry into the global mainstream.
Gaddafi never even had WMDs though and was willingly being used by the USA as a punching bag for relevance. The only thing you learn from Gaddafis death is to not trust your fake enemy to be Neo-Libs, they'll kill you for fun.

>innocent

We all got it coming kid.

Where did you get this picture of me?

If only his older brother hadn't tried to go to Disneyland...

truly
>I spoke with President Moon of South Korea last night. Asked him how Rocket Man is doing. Long gas lines forming in North Korea. Too bad!