BE HONEST

How many of you already knew that pickles are just cucumbers soaked in vinegar?

If you already knew this, then what age did you find out about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hQgYj6y0IBg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Been making pickels since I was a small boy with me mema. What kinda faggot uses vinegar? Brine nigga!

oh ok yea brine, my bad. i don't know shit my man.

Okay, yes, kids aren't known for being especially intelligent, but what kind of sped are you if you don't know pickles are cucumbers?

magic school bus nigga

it makes complete sense now. part of me feels like i may have made the connection between the two at one point in my life but quickly forgot because i don't like pickles and never eat it

Mostly known from the start
Says pickled cucumber or gherkin on the jar

Have a coworker, he just learned last year that chicken is in fact the flesh of a chicken. He came to work all excited like he just stumbled upon a grand conspiracy or something. He is 34 years old, care to guess his skin clolor?

not always!
ok lets not race bait

Its not bait. It was sad but fucking hilarious. The whole shop was like ay yo you know turkey is turkey and beef is cow and shit.

Since I can remember. My family always made different pickles. We always had a decent garden in the yard. Cucumbers, onions, beets, green beans, carrots.
Good shit man

Would kill for a jar of homemade homegrown pickled beets

>pickles are just cucumbers soaked in vinegar?
They're not. "Pickles" can refer to any manner of pickled vegetable, including onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

Yikes. That's... bad. Please tell me he's black.

Indeed.

You only ask for that because you know if he's black.

>sped
I really miss that term.

mom's a botanist. When asked what we should grow next after tomatoes, carrots and strawberries I asked for pickles. I was six.

hey ya know what? i didn't know that either, the more ya know huh

lies! pickles are animals which live in the earth!

I've known that my entire life, but then again, my parents were amazing gardeners and cooks, and mom made pickles of all kinds every summer.

i knew pretty much right away. i always loved sour gerkins so i started questioning about them quickly. also my dad likes pickled eggs so i learned what made pickles, pickles

I asked this at work last year. 3 people thought pickles were a vegetable, they were all mid 20's. They were embarrassed for a moment then went back to facebook on their phones.

I found out at around age 15 while watching How It's Made

So... he didnt know that meat came from animals? Where the fuck did he think it came from?

When i was real little i thought french fries were some kinda bread.

I'm going to need more of an explanation here, I mean it's called fucking chicken, did he think it was a fucking plant?

Blue? Fucking Navi.

They're literally called "vinegar cucumbers" in my language, so it'd be pretty hard for me not to know this.

I didn't find out until I was like 12 watching veggietales. I asked why do they keep calling him a pickle? My dad said that's how they make pickles. Out of cucumbers. Oh, neat. I told my 19 year old brother this recently and it blew his mind.

Invisible, because you made him up. Seriously, it's not that hard to invent a story. Do better.

I just found out that sushi rice has vinegar in recently and now you drop this new bombshell.

I have a new found respect for vinegar!

Someone recently asked me if I knew that they were cucumbers like it was supposed to blow my mind. I told them that they were fucking retarded, and "of course" Now I see this thread and there's more of you...

tis was round age 5 when me grandmama and I went down to the shed with dem mason jars and cucumbers. grandmama was really good at jarring she was. kept us kids fed for 3 summers while me father was in dem coal mines. sad he died and maw had to work hard in the field with grandpapy to keep us fed.

Brine? What? Brine for pickles? Never heard about that. How can be that tasty?
Btw. Eurofag here.

I've known since I had my first pickle (like age 4)

My girlfriend, at 23, didn't know until last week. She's in post grad to be a doctor.

>t. Britbong
in America when someone says "pickle", they ALWAYS mean "pickled cucumber". if they mean another kind of pickle they would say "pickled onion" or something.

Brine is a mixture made mostly from vinegar you fucktards

The brine supports colonies of bacteria that gives the pickle its flavor.
When I was a kid there was a pickle factory in town. You smelled it before you saw it.

It's so much funnier when the idiot is also smug.

Incorrect

It's interesting how idiots who have no idea what they are talking about feel the urge to step up and prove that have no idea what they are talking about.

How to make dill pickles
youtu.be/hQgYj6y0IBg

Not to get all political, but Chechnya is extremely conservative and islamic and they're literally given special privileges, so that speech is essentially nicely phrased rhetoric but also total bullshit.

Or because this board has become a cesspool of racebaiting /pol/dditors who derail threads into arguments while the rest of us just want to talk about food.

I used to work with a waitress that didn't know. So we told her pickles come from the pickle plant which you get from planting a pickle. They were like potatoes and grew in the ground.

What's the recipe to make pickles like Wendy's is using now?

this

When, as a child, I first learned that pickles existed is when I learned that they were cucumbers. Who the hell doesn't know this?

>get 2 kilos of mid size cucumbers
>an appropriate sized pickle jar
>wash the cucumbers, and make a 2-3 cm deep cut on both of their ends
>put them in the jar
>wash a bouquet of dill and put em on top of the cucumbers
>peel 4 cloves of garlic and throw them in the jar
>put a thick slice of white bread on the top of all these
>boil enough water to cover the bread, add 3dkgs of salt / litre of water to the pan
>pour the boiled water in the jar
>cover the top of the jar with a dish
>put the whole thing out into a sunny warm place for 4-5 days
>take out the bread, put the pickles in a new container, pour the brine n it through a filter, refridgerate, and have the best goddamn pickles of your life

You are welcome

I learned this when I was 8 from an episode of Magic School Bus. The pickles looked dank too

urban yoofs today think meat just comes from a Walmart in a Styrofoam tray and shrink wrapped. They don't even make the connection to animals. its just there, like their forties. Same with fruits and vegetables. They have zero reference for these things today, they're not thought it they don't expieriance it. they don't know it. There's studies on this shit to.

I bet they took those home and shoved them up each other's cunts

Sounds white. Only a white person could have been restricted to parts of chicken that don't resemble chicken parts for 34 years.

Wait, what do you mean? Did he think there was some kind of chicken tree?

Stop posting here. Leave. Go away. Click the red X in the upper righthand corner of your browser window and never type "www.Veeky Forums.org" into the address bar ever again. There are a million other sites that I'm sure you would be much happier on. Veeky Forums isn't one of them.

>"/pol/dittors"
You are one dumb reddit transplant. It's supposed to fucking make sense, you can't just fuse together the board name with some random word, it doesn't work that way. Top tier bait if baiting

He thought it came out of eggplant.

which herbs do you use?

whats the bread for?

My old school Dutch grandma would make her own 'pickles'. They were cucumbers jarred in straight white vinegar. They were the most sour, disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Took me until I was almost 15 before I actually tried anything past a bread and butter pickle.

I mentored a black kid with the usual setup... Single mom who was working, lived with grandma. Passed some black and white cows... "Hey cows!" Passed some brown cows... "What are those?" Told him about farms. He was eating a chicken sammich. Thought we just called it chicken. Thought all meat came from cows. Told him it should but the Jews are trying to turn us into fags with white meat.

I learned it today.
I never made the connection, I just assumed pickles were pickles but now that I think about it, where the fuck would this grow?

I hated fish as a kid, but loved canned tuna. For some reason my parents haven't made the connection, until one day when mom made baked fish and I told her I would eat canned tuna instead. They both smirked and teased me for like a week when I learned the truth. Pretty funny in retrospective.

I knew it practically for all of my life because my grandma used to grow her own cucumbers and always made some pickles. Man, that traditional homemade shit is way better than anything you can buy.

t. polish guy

I have no idea, that's how my grandmother used to do it, and according to her, her mother and grandmother as well.

my guess would be it's for the right kind of fermentation

Wtf I knew this since i was 4? Do people really not know this

For a while I used to think that mustard was a type of cheese because there's an episode of scooby doo where scoob says to shaggy "MONSTER?" and shaggy says "Not Monster, Munster. It's a type of cheese" but I thought he said "mustard" instead of "munster"

I have no idea what age I was when I found out, but I was pretty young.

Anyone remember when they found out gummy candies were made from bones? Blew my fucking mind as a kid.

Seeds are basically just plant eggs. Not sure what I was really expecting. For the longest time I thought veal was seal meat, and that marshmallows were made from crushed bugs. My brother lied to me a lot.

>muh pol boogeyman
Reddit sounds more your speed.

>Told him it should but the Jews are trying to turn us into fags with white meat.
Doing god's work user.

they are called gherkins in UK english, but even after hearing them called pickles, how the fuck was i supposed to know they were cucumbers? Cucumbers are way bigger. Im not the only one please dont let me be the only one

Cucumbers come in many sizes my friend.

Just be sure when your girlfriend wants a salad you get her the ones with the bumps, they have more flavor.

I figured this out around 4 or 5. Also no, my parents weren't gardeners or anything like that I guess I'm just not enough of a dipshit to go into adulthood (even into tween/teenhood is pretty bad) thinking pickles fall out of the fucking sky

kys

A little bit of mustard seed, a little bit of dill, a little bit of carrot, a little bit of onion, sometimes chilli, a little bit of sugar, a little bit of salt, vinegar and of course water and than you sterilise it in jar.

Also, in my language its name is adequate to sterilised cucumbers.

I am retarded, sorry. I remembered that my grandpa made cucumbers in brine (at least I think it was brine) and let it fermentise in warm place and it was really smelly as You say. (Similar to sauerkraut) The water was quite milky a the cucumber was a little bit soft as a child I didn't want to eat it. Now I would kill for it.

When will the rest of the world learn the true power of pickles?

as soon Indians learn to shit in Toilets.

Here's a tip on keeping fermented pickles crisp: Add a few oak or grape leaves. The tannins keep the veg crisp.

Grandpa added grape leaf too. I totally forgot about that. He also added some bread too. But still it was more soft than vinegear pickle, maybe he left it there too long, so they became softer.

5, I'm 51 now, and never liked pickles until Famous Dave's Signature Spicy Pickles. fuckin god tier pickle.

I grew my own tomatoes and offered some to my sister, she would not take them because "they came from the ground".

Keep using it, keep it alive.