Daily /bread/

Daily bread thread, emergency biga edition.

We got a new person at the bakery and they didn't mix enough biga for today. Just whipped up this emergency guy and am hoping it ferments at least a little in the three hours before I need it.

It should turn out alright, but I detest introducing unknowns into my baking.

Discussion question: what's the weirdest bread you've ever baked? I've done vollkornbrot a few times, which is a super dense 100% rye bread with toasted sunflower seeds. It's a super weird dough/bake, but the final product is some of the most intensely flavored bread you've ever had.

>Daily
S T O P

It's not *actually* daily, user. I mostly just like the play on the phrase.

Have to say that learning how to make bread was one of the best decisions I did.

At first my bread was shitty, but once I perfected my recipe and technique, I don't regret anything.

>hire someone new to perform a critical task
>freak out when they have to improvise because you’re such a control freak micromanager that no documentation exists nor did it ever occcur to you that “enough biga” isn’t a number random strangers should know
they say new restaurants fail more often than not. here, we see why

Can someone give me a good recipe to bake some bread. I never done it. But I know how to cook.

It's literally spelled out in numbers, friend. The thing I don't get is that they did the order numbers right (which is where you derive the number of poolish and biga buckets to mix), and they made enough poolish, but somehow didn't make enough biga.

Also

>control freak

I don't even interact with this person. They don't come in until long after I'm gone.

>new

This bakery is pushing 20 years old.

I'll take a look around for FWSY when I get home so I could post a recipe from there. I may have lent it to a friend but it might just be hiding out somewhere.

First attempt at a soda bread, sounds like it came out OK but have to wait for it to cool.

That's the best looking loaf of soda bread I've ever seen, but I've only ever seen the shitty loaves that my brother-in-law makes. Soda bread is generally shitty.. I'm interested in seeing how this came out. I'm gonna need a crumb shot eventually, user.

>It should turn out alright, but I detest introducing unknowns into my baking.

How did it go OP? I just fed my starter (left out on the counter) for the first time in a week last night. First time I ever skipped more than three days in a couple months, but its coming back to life really well. I might make a sourdough loaf tomorrow. It's supposed to rain here and I'll probably end up stuck in the house.

Sourdough starter is ready. We're making sourdough boys.

We're following the basic sourdough recipe in The Breadbaker's Apprentice.

2/3 cup starter, 1 cup bread flour, water and mix. Into a sealed and oiled plastic bag for four hours, or until size doubles. Be back then.

Anyone know of a ghetto way to rig steam in your oven? I'm thinking about preheating with a baking pan on the bottom rack and adding hot water to it when I add the bread. Will that work?

Use a Dutch oven it's easier and way more efficient, it pretty much a way for the bread to steam itself by trapping the steam

I don't have a Dutch oven reeeeeeeee

I cut a hop in the back of my oven, then I bought some braided steel line. I rigged that up to the hop and when I want steam I get a pressure cooker going with 2 cups of water and when I throw the bread in I release the steam from the pressure cooker into the braided steel line. If you don't have that setup, the I suggest a Dutch oven. If you cant go Dutch, then I suggest that pan technique you talked about.

ok cool

what the FUCK does "lukewarm" mean?

>Anyone know of a ghetto way to rig steam in your oven?
use a regular bread pan, and cover it in tinfoil. that will keep the bread moist while it is baking.

also try and make some bagels. they'll taste great.

This actually looks great for a first attempt.

I tried making bread a few times and it never turns out how I thought it would. I still want to learn and try, but it will be a while before I make another attempt.

warm, not hot, around 110F

thank you

As requested, it came out fairly nice tasting was worried it was going to be under done on the bottom.

Buy one then you pleb

Bauernlaib. Austria.

That looks like a big slop of shit.

Dough is going refrigerator overnight. Will report in tommorow.

Still gonna look like a big slop of shit I'd wager.

This is how my sourdough came out from yesterday, I folded the dough once every half hour almost all day. I had to go to a party and then out to dinner, but it probably got folded at least 7 or 8 times while sitting on a cold marble counter. For final prop I transferred it to a low oven with a cup of boiling water and let it sit for two hours. Bake was done at 475° F for 18 minutes.

Eat shit, crumb fags. My bread is delicious!

i want this bread to fuck me

I want this.

why do you waste so much time doing all that work? you must not bake bread often. I try and do as little work as possible.

Not the other way around?

Looks g8. Now you just need a big bowl of of hearty soup and some good butter. One of my favorite parts about Ireland, aside from black pudding toasties, was ubiquitously good soda bread, butter, and some kinda soup at every single place you go.

>soda bread
is dense and disgusting.

I bake bread all the time, friendo. It's not that much work. I don't know if you read the post but I did a lot of other shit all day too.

Out of the fridge and cut into 10 balls. Letting warm up for an hour.

they're like 30 bucks for a cheap but functional one

4.5 cups flour and 2 tablespoons salt. The dough balls and 1.5 cups water is next

why does bread absorb the flavor of the room it is made in?

i made bread at a friend's house and it tasted exactly the way her kitchen smells. it was horrible, i couldn't eat it. it was like potpourri and tidy cats scented bread

We dough now

Just here waiting for op to give me a recipe.

Its better if you let it sit one day after baking. Here is the next picture. Came out perfect.

Dough has risen for 4 hours. Time to shape.

Proof for two hours, covered with a cloth.

proofed. Oven preheating.

Ok boys, were trying something new. Were including a pan of boiling water in the oven when we start. We're also going to spray the oven with water 3 times, 30 seconds apart. We're also the first 5 minutes are gonna be at 500 instead of 450. This is to simulate steam ovens pros use.

Anyway, in we go. 25 minutes @ 450, fingers crossed.

>weirdest
Not all that weird desu but I did a kalamata olive and roasted garlic tartine sourdough for my wedding. Trying to work zatar into one soon but I've been experimenting with pain de mie in my pullman pan lately.

Get two disposable pie pans. Punch a bunch of holes in one, fill it with ice. Fill the other one with nuts and bolts (or lava rocks, if you have them). Put the ice pan on the rocks pan, the ice will melt, drip through the holes, hit the rocks/bolts and vaporize. I do this for long loaves, but a dutch oven is only 30 bucks and you'd be stupid not to buy one

Out of the oven. Gonna let cool for an hour then eat it.

Put it back in for another ten minutes before it's too late

Also invest in a bench knife and practice shaping, Jesus Christ

What makes you say it's undercooked?Y-yes sir.

Last pullman. Too lazy to take a picture of today's.

I'm sure it would taste ok, but you're leaving flavor on the table for no reason. It will be just as soft after you take it out darker and it steams from within, but you'll have more complex starch flavors, more maillard reaction, more variety and depth of texture and flavor in general. Try it once and you won't go back

S Q U A R E
Q
U
A
R
E

Look great. I don't know how you faggots are so good at bread, I think I'm the worst baker here. Regardless, I have fun.

Sorry, user! Went innawoods all weekend and didn't have any service. Turns out I lent out FWSY but I'll look through my other boom for anything that seems promising.

Just keep going, I fuck up plenty even with experience. And thank you

If you remember which fwsy it was I'll post it. I'm more of a tartine man myself though

I was just going to give him one of the basic poolish white bread recipes from there. I've found they're a great place to start.

Sure

Thanks for that. All the recipes in this other book call for levain and are a little more advanced.

You might find this useful as well.

Okay, what's the deal with bread machines? I've heard nothing but good things about them, actually worth it?

They're an abomination that churn out a mediocre product and don't save you any work.

probably not that weird, but a few weeks back i threw some chopped dried figs and walnuts into my go-to sourdough recipe

they're great for kneading dough. but that's about it. If you want to make more than one loaf at a time, you'd save time just kneading it with one hand in a big metal bowl. Keep your other hand clean so you can reach for stuff you might need.

Nice body, what's the hydration?

about 78%, plus whatever minimal amount was added when i wet my hand to fold the dough

shit wait i didn't factor in that i briefly soaked the walnuts before adding them to the dough, so it's probably closer to 80%

That's fucking crazy, dude, do you add commercial yeast as well?

nah, it’s straight natural leaven. i can share the recipe when I get back to my computer in a minute if you want, I don’t feel like typing it out and it’s wasier to copy/paste

Please do, that's a lot of oven spring compared to my usual method

base recipe:

50-75g starter straight from the fridge
500g bread flour
380g + 10-15g warm water
10g salt

dissolve starter in 380g warm water, add flour and mix. autolyse 30 min. add salt and additional 10-15g water. pinch and fold to incorporate, let rest 30 minutes. stretch and fold every 30 min for 2 hours, then cover loosely and let rise in cool area for 8-10 hours. my room temp was about 65F.

after dough has bulk fermented, turn out onto lightly floured surface. preshape if you want and bench rest 10 min, shape and place in banneton. cover with a plastic bag and refrigerate 4-12 hours (or however long you feel like, i did about 4 hours). preheat dutch oven to 500F, score dough place in covered dutch oven. immediately turn heat down to 450F, bake covered 30 minutes. uncover, bake additional 12-18 min.

it’s worth noting that i used unfed starter straight from the fridge. i feed my starter about once a week, and i fed it about three days before mixing up this dough.

for the fig/walnut variation, add:

6-7 dried figs coarsely chopped and ½ cup chopped walnuts (soaked, if super dry) during the second stretch and fold.

pic related is my caraway and flax variation, same basic recipe but with 2-3 tbsp caraway and 3 tbsp flax seed + 25g warm water added to the dough when adding the salt, and using the soaking liquid as the "additional 10-15g water".

Thanks for this. Seems like an awfully long ferment, but using unfed must make a difference. Aside from that, seems pretty similar to tartine. Excited to try this next weekend, I'll post results

yeah, it's the same basic method as tartine or FWSY but without having to build a leaven beforehand or worry about the float test and shit. i used to be obsessive about that stuff, but after going the long slow bulk ferment method i can say that i prefer the taste of this slow recipe.

i usually mix up dough in the evening around 8, do the stretch and folds until midnight, and then in the morning i shape the loaf and pop it in the fridge. then i bake it when i get home from work -- i just preheat the D.O. and pop the cold dough into the hot pot. the chilled dough is easier to handle and score.

Want some bread with those air bubbles chief

everyone has their preferences. i think this kind of bread is great with soup, chili, or pasta. it makes for great panzanella, too. i

could really go for some scones right now

Thanks bro

>80% hydration

Now we're fuckin talkin.

I'm baking some bread right now, I'll show you my lame beginner attempt tomorrow when it's finished rising.

>baking now
>rising tomorrow
Hmmm

Making, baking, cooking, whatever. English isn't my first language so I assumed you can use the word about as loosely as you can in my mother tongue to include the preparatory steps.

In English we would say "finagling"

Sure you would, I could've said I'm currently making bread and everything would still be the same. You're just choosing to be an ass for the sake of it.

Hokkaido milk bread, tartine sourdough, celebration challah. I did an olive/garlic loaf with this same batch, but I don't have a picture handy.

Hokkaido is fucking weird looking but tastes really nice. It has to be one of my favourites.

I don't know if it's a regional thing, but my local Aldi has dutch ovens for $19.99

Maybe yours does too

Its porous?