Edith Hamilton's old classic Mythology is being rereleased in a special 75th anniversary edition

Edith Hamilton's old classic Mythology is being rereleased in a special 75th anniversary edition
smile.amazon.com/Mythology-Timeless-Heroes-Anniversary-Illustrated/dp/0316438529/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1505900771&sr=8-2
So should I get it? tell me your experiences with it

I would get it mainly because I don't own a copy already and I've wanted to read it for a while.

I've been reading the greeks already but I suppose reading her book would likely clear up some of the more esoteric references you come across reading these kinds of texts blindly.

So much wasted white space in each page, wtf are these lining, spacing and margins?

How is the book for a first timer getting to know Greek mythology?

It's alright as a rough and high-level overview of the most common stories of Greek/Roman mythology, but it really does not go into any detail or historical background
There's a really unnecessary and way too short thing on Norse mythology tacked on

Overall, good intro if you're completely new

What other books would you rec? Graves?

>can't post bookdepository links at all without removing every period and slash
>can post an Amazon link with a whole bunch of unnecessary trash, unpruned, untruncated, in whole
Now I don't mean to say it's a conspiracy, but this kike Bezos gets government subsidy for his news outlet and for shipping via his online merchandising front. And his links aren't censored. It just seems to me like he's totally jewish.

Whatever, thanks for the Google Analytics AdSense recommendation Mr. Bezos, I'll buy it from you since BookDepository takes upwards of six weeks to ship to me because of fucking Customs interceptions.

>customs intercepting books
what

I don't fucking know, I have no other explanation. I receive different parts of the same order weeks apart. I ordered two Jung books on Aug. 2, one came within 5 days, the other didn't arrive until two days ago and it has customs stickers on them. A week earlier I received one half of a different order made on the same day that I had to pay customs charges for, and the other half of that same order is still up in the fucking air floating around somewhere. Amazon isn't playing by the rules but holy shit if I don't actually receive my package within the week, even without Prime or paying for any expedited shipping.

Damn that brings back memories. I found a used copy of it at my local second hand bookstore in middle school and it's what got me into greek mythology. If anyone is interested in getting into mythology I highly recommend it as a starting point. It doesn't go into great detail but it's very readable and gives you a good framewirk of understanding to build on and renovate as you move on to more accurate retellings of myths.

Makes me want to crack open my old copy again. I loved how its description of Bellerophon made him feel like a jackass that thought he was hot shit just because he could kill monsters with spears and bows from a safe distance while riding Pegasus. He became my favorite hero, and his death is hilarious.

>smile

Who do you support?

Amazon owns Book Depository.

Reading this atm. Loving it

Bookdepository is owned by Amazon and their "free shipping" is free because they adjust the price based on your location

OY VEY, the rabbit hole goes deeper!

as is abebooks and all the big youtube book 'stores'

That's kinda the purpose of the book. It gives you a quick rundown of all the gods and the stories

I bought a cheap copy at half priced books not too long ago but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm glad to see good things about it in this thread! I'll have to start it soon.

compassion international inc.

Because walls of text are unreadable.

>Ploto
What the fuck is that font

Edith Hamilton is a total unapologetic Hellaboo and spends a good chunk of the introduction shitting on the mythological traditions of other cultures, making claims like "the Greeks were the first people to have anthropomorphic deities" and shit

And the part on Norse mythology should never have happened desu

It's overall breddy gud if you ignore those two sections though

whats wrong with the norse section, besides being unnecessary?

It's unnecessary and distracts from the rest of the work, hence it "should never have happened." The book's strongest appeal is the way in which it cultivates a familiarity and fondness for the often convoluted world of Greek mythology

Just read Metamorphoses desu

but thats roman so the names will be confused

someone post a link of this so I can pirate it

It should be public domain by now shouldn't it?

It's not even out yet.
Besides it's 20 bucks.

No? The text is nowhere near p.d. and this release certainly isn't near p.d status.

what

wow
great post

It was a decent read, it's really just a rough introduction with a bit of the norse stuff attached at the end. I think I got it for like 8 bucks which all in all wasn't too bad. I wouldn't buy anything other than the paperback though and definitely wouldn't keep it. Wikipedia has more info anyways and is much easier to access.

Imagine a Greek/Roman mythology wiki printed with a book format. thats what that is

>It's not even out yet.

Yet people ITT have claimed to have read it.

Death of the author plus 70 years.

1963+70= 2033

How does it feel to be WRONG about something?

It's an anniversary edition. She's been dead since the 1960s.