Are there any writers here? I don't mean this arrogantly

Are there any writers here? I don't mean this arrogantly.

Just been having a tough time being consistent in mine. I go through bouts of heavy drinking where I will write nearly 10k words in a night to 2 weeks of no writing.

/writing general/ i guess

Non published and good in my eyes only, maybe because I have low self esteem and little confidence, I do it as an exercise because I like the end result most of the times, but I know that in order for it to be good I need a lot more work and practice. For most "writer" it should take long, it's a process, not a magic wand to swing around and boom you got gold, I think it's ok if you take long. but seriously, stop the drinking. it's no good.

bugs...

I'm still reading texts I consider fairly essential, should I start writing while reading these or wait until I finish? Also, I can't help but think once I start writing it'll just seem autistic and I'll be discouraged. Do books on writing help?

easy on the carrots.

Veeky Forums memes are lame as fuck

I can only write if I'm drunk out of my fucking mind, otherwise I'm too bored and self conscious to get more than 500 words done. I like the stuff I turn out when I'm drinking though. Is it worth becoming an alcoholic for the hope of literary greatness?

personally i think they're lovecraftian

Damn, wish I saved my Lovecraft themed "bugs" meme.

hemingway said to write drunk and edit sober.

He was a cock but he was right about that in some ways.

I'm a writer. You just need to keep doing it until you're consistent at it. Habits take time to develop, and writing is an especially difficult habit to form. Just keep doing it, and you'll fall into it.

Well he also didn't say it, and he wasn't right about it.

I'm a published writer, I'm not super consistent either. A lot of people aren't.

Although I can tell you that heavy drinking definitely isn't improving your writing.

...easy on the heavy drinking.

y-you're gonna have a surprise when you wake up...

Sent some stuff to lit mags, waiting to hear back. I'll let you all know if I make it.

you're right about him not saying that. bummer.

It does help in the short term but certainly not long term.

I have a hard time writing consistently except for while at my writers group. Once a was writing for 1 1/2 hrs a day, 6 days a week, but it only lasted two months.

I have an English degree with a writing emphasis so this is supposed to be my career.

The bunny
He has destroyed his stomach
Bugs
BUGS
Easy on the carrots

I recently wrote a short 10 min play. I know it's shit. But someone asked me to do one and send it to them. Is there anyway I can send it to someone beforehand to get an idea of how far away I am from being any good?

what you said about me

then drink more, duh

This will be me soon

I quit drinking/drugs and I am trying to devote myself more to writing. Progress is slow, I'm new to writing as a serious practice and I get frustrated/lose hope esily but I just try to do it whenever I have the time and the right frame of mind. I'm starting with poems and short stories, they allow me to complete something from beginning to end and spend some time editing/improving it too. I also get to play with different ideas and it gives me resources to draw from as well as materials to dig up and re-write later on.

Just write. From what I've gathered listening to actual published authors talk they say the same thing as accomplished drawers, accomplished programmers, professional gamers that play street fighter, its literally all the same shit.
>tens of thousands of hours doing it every day
>being a professional means doing the activity enough so that beginner/intermediate/expert level tasks are second nature and once you've reached this level you can finally start experimenting and expressing yourself.
>It requires sacrificing years of your life in order to become exceptional, the only talent that exists is a love for the hobby that lets you push beyond the points where you want to quit or where your commitment is tested.

>the only talent that exists is a love for

Nonsense. Talent is real. The thing is, you can't do anything about the amount you have, but it's probably enough to write something of value.

For the supremely talented and the average writer alike, though, you're right--the work still simply has to get done.

OP, writer here. Do have some minor publications if that's more legit to you. Being consistent is difficult, but I think setting yourself a reasonable goal--spending an hour at the desk without distractions or aiming for 1,000 words each day--instead of sporadic drunken typing is going to get you further.

So to write you just have to make yourself do it?

Image name triggers me. Congratulations, fuckhead.

Send it to me.

[email protected]

That is really my Email

Man this is my situation exactly. There are times when I'm super productive, and then there are times when I don't write anything, or when I CAN'T write anything

I agree with all your advice. I was at 500 a day for a few weeks, on and off, and it was extremely useful.

If you write drunk you'll get good at writing while you're drunk.

>CAN'T write
If you believe that then it'll become a self fulfilling prophesy. I make it a priority to write at least 2,000 words each day, and sure it's fucking difficult sometimes, but the more you do it the easier it gets.

>I can only write if I'm drunk out of my fucking mind,

so basically you can't write. I'm 100% your drunk writing is garbage too.

>Just been having a tough time being consistent in mine
"mine" what?

This

I can only write when I drink and it's worked out fine for me

writing