Why no one mention him on this board?

Why no one mention him on this board?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblioklept.org/2010/09/07/writing-short-stories-roberto-bolano/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because lit is fucking stupid

only American pretend this hack is any good. He is at best mediocre.

The French love him.

he's rather popular here in europe too

Vietnamese oddly enough love him. Though for some reason they think he's French.

Baudelaire was Poe's French translator. That might potentially explain Poe's popularity with the French and possibly Francophone Vietnamese people as well.

Because Bloom told me he was bad.

He became too much of a normie meme. Here in the US we have to read him in schools, and they must have taken us to at least 3 or 4 theater trips that included that fucking fall of the house of usher play. I also live where he's from so it's a whole thing where it's like okay grandpa shut the fuck up about this drunk edgelord god damn. but then when i got one of those cheap collections of all his work for the meme of it and i was blown away by how good his writing was. read that shit in like 2 days desu

Only in the sense that he is americana and an iconic touchstone for American culture in the 19th c. He's considered a bit dated and juvenile by most American readers and isn't considered.canonical in the sense that poets like Whitman and Eliot are by any means. His legacy is a bit like Twain's; he's well known for being a well known writer, not for what he wrote.

I can see why he would be popular abroad. He's a very easy author to translate and deals with visceral, gothic emotions like fear and guilt that aren't dependent on deeper cultural or canonical cues to understand.

Mallarmé also translated Poe.

He wrote an exquisite essay on the aristocracy

The only thing of Poe we ever read in school was The Raven.

I had a milf English teacher who had us read The Cask of Amontillado and The Tell-Tale Heart, as well as a bunch of other macabre/supernatural stuff like An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and The Monkey's Paw. Only English class I look back on with any fondness.

He's very revered by almost every latin american writer of the last century, as well as the younger crowd of readers nowadays

>"Poe is an inescapable writer, but not a good one. He is, except perhaps for Mark Twain, the most popular of all American authors. The experience of reading Poe's stories out loud to oneself is not aesthetically very satisfying. [...]Having just reread four of his most famous stories, I find myself challenged to account for the gap between Poe's world-wide influence and the literary inadequacy of even his best work."

>Poe is a bad poet, a poor critic, and a dreadful prose stylist in his celebrated tales.
>Almost anyone can retell the "Fall of the House of Usher" more effectively than Poe does, because Poe's diction in uniquely abominable. As for the most famous Poe lyrics--"The Raven," "The Bells," "Annabel Lee" and the astonishingly dreadful "Ulalume,"--you can abandon yourself to them if you want to, but what is it that Poe gives you?"
- Harold Bloom

Was he right?

Poe=Unity of Effect
Bloom=Unity of Defect

He's more valuable in Veeky Forums for prefiguring the Big Bang Theory and solving Olbers paradox

Borges seemed to disagree. Honestly calling Poe a bad poet and a dreadful prose stylist just seems over the top.

this

Bierce is better.

Modern poetry starts with Poe and Whitman.

>source: your own ass

Here's a source for Bolano liking Poe. Took me 2 seconds to find.

disregard my incompetence
biblioklept.org/2010/09/07/writing-short-stories-roberto-bolano/

Maybe read some books user so everyone doesn't have to spoon feed you.