Is this supped to be good? Ive read the first three stories and they were all boring nonsense. Whats the point?

is this supped to be good? Ive read the first three stories and they were all boring nonsense. Whats the point?

Skip to The Dead and then put it down

yeah, I started reading it, never read any joyce before, and it was so dull

I thought this was Winesburg, Ohio at a glance and was going to call you a fag for not being moved by Hands, but now that I see it's Dubliners, I feel that I have an even greater responsibility to let you know that you're a fag.

>skipping araby
Are you dumb or something?

go back to r/books

Joyce was just an edgy and angsty dude at the time he wrote this.

If you don't find Eveline sublime, given that info, you are a terrible reader and person.

>skip the best short story collection in recorded history

>Eveline
found the woman

I liked it. It's fine you don't.

I really loved it. Was expecting it to be super difficult too, considering the reputation of his later works, and was pleasantly surprised by its breeziness.

The story of the lonely guy who's only friend is an old lady who kills herself when he cuts her out of his life was my favourite.

I thought all the stories were pretty interesting, they definitely do pick up if it means anything.

Also its a veiled coming of age novel.

"no"

I need to re-read it but it really is gorgeous.

It's gently paced, beautifully written and either quietly upsetting or absolutely devastating.

You have to be a special kind of pleb autist if you can't empathise with Dubliners on any level.

>Be an unmarried fat man on his thirties.
>Only feel joy when around your chad mate who tells you stories of love conquests and makes girls pay for him.

You're supposed to admire the amazing prose, the plots are dull and mundane by design.

UK literature sucks ass and Joyce is no exception

> central Ireland
> part of the UK

Learn geography, faggot

you know what i mean man, i wanted to blast off a quick diss of yet another boring ass english writer, not skim wikipedia so i don't run afoul of an irishmen ok

>be alcoholic father who slacks off at his job
>go out drinking at night
>spend money on alcohol instead of family
>flirt with waitresses and any woman who is not wife
>lose in an arm wrestling contest
>women give the cold shoulder
>impotent rage builds
>come home and beat the hell out of son

Why do you do this to me Joyce?

Or the one where the guy breaks up with a woman to avoid cheating on her husband so she jumps in front of a train because they were soulmates

>the one where the guy breaks up with a woman to avoid cheating on her husband

wait, wut

the one I always think back to is with the kids who skip school to visit a brothel, and then run across that strange elderly guy. Really gets under my skin He was a pedo right?

Yeah that one is weird. Its not explained (as always) but he comes off as very creepy and talks about sex around young kids

I didnt explain it right. I mean that a woman was married and met someone else, and the someone else broke it off with her in order to avoid her cheating on her husband (and him being a homewrecker). Then five years pass and she kills herself after becoming an alcoholic

I understood the man was jerking off when the kid refused to look up

I don't know...

I dont know?

James Duffy is most of Veeky Forums

Joyce did a great fucking job at conveying the feeling of not fully understanding what just happened but somehow knowing that it's wrong.

I've only read the The Sisters and I kinda liked it.

Honestly, stick to genre fiction if you don't think this is some of the best english prose of all time. I'm saying that as a genuine recommendation and not an insult.

Ireland was part of UK at the time and culturally Dublin was definitely British.

t. a Dubliner

Re-read it aloud in an Irish accent.

No, really.
Try it.

I bet you are a pedophile. Fuck off, freak.

Wrong. Fuck outta here with your shitty opinion, pleb.

A Little Cloud and A Painful Case are objectively the best stories.

These. I honestly remember more from this book than most others. The characters are all very 3-dimensional and vivid, even the female ones, which is rare for a male author in Joyce's time or even today. The plots are simple, but gripping, and the prose is divine. Dialog gets me every time. It's not the world's easiest read, but if you're more than 3 stories in and you haven't felt something profound, maybe you're not cut out for literature.

>tfw read "The Sisters" a few days after my great-uncle died, and something really similar played out in my family