Cornbread

Okay Veeky Forums it's real fuckin' talk time:

Which state has the best variant of cornbread?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/cast-iron-skillet-corn-bread-recipe-2012669
seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/southern-unsweetened-cornbread-recipe.html
cookstr.com/Bread-Recipes/Dairy-Hollow-House-Skillet-Sizzled-Cornbread
seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/cook-the-book.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My kitchen. [spoiler]Ohio[/spoiler]

Does corn pudding qualify? If so, the Midwestern people win.

No he asked about cornbread

Does it really vary that much by state? I live in texas and a family recipe for cornbread we have here is something like, cornmeal, jalapenos, fresh corn off the cob, pimentos, and cheese. Really the only cornbread i enjoy, I can't eat the super sweet cornbread w/ a meal. that shit is dessert to me. I used to like the honey cornbread as a kid, not sure where it originates however.

I'm sorry user I can't accept corn puddings.

>he eats the reddit bread

>Cheese

don't like anything but my own.

it's basically birthday cake with cornmeal.

cornbread is a p good way to get your cast iron looking nice and seasoned. i've made it twice and it came out alright. i'm a filthy new yorker tho so i don't know much about corn bread. my family complained the recipe i used wasn't sweet enough. here it is:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/cast-iron-skillet-corn-bread-recipe-2012669

This looks fluffy as fug

It's really good. We make it to go with chili.

>he thinks corn pudding is the same as corn bread

At least you did the job of outing yourself as a midwest flyover

Which is more traditional: a dense, crispy cornbread or a light, fluffy cornbread?

The best cornbread is cast iron skillet cornbread because of the crust basically fried crisp.
To do it right, you get a well seasoned pan with some drippings in it fiery hot and pour in the batter and quickly back to the oven to rise. You simply can't load it up with sugar or the sugar would burn, and the cornbread would stick, you see. So, southern cornbread is not sweet if done right. Do you follow my logic on that? So, it's not a state by state difference. It's a real cook versus recipe reading sugary preference kind of thing. Real southern cooks understand you leave out the sugar also because that's why there is some cane syrup, alaga syrup, sorghum or other amazing syrup on the table, along with butter. Cornbread can be smoky if bacon fat was used. That's flavor! If fact, if it's sweet, you'll hear "oh this is yankee cornbread, bless her heart" overheard. Cornbread can be used alongside the pot liquor your collard greens are swimming in, uhh yea, no sugar needed. Or can be served with your red beans, again, not really calling for sweetness yet.

The lines are blurred all these years later, including who gets to claim white cornmeal, and I would say tastes have evolved to like sweeter things, but you should make what you want of course. Go ahead and add cheese, jalapeno and sugar. It's a preference thing.

This is the most competent thing posted on Veeky Forums in days.

nice

Southern cornbread > yankee corn cake

States that add whole corn kernels or more than two teaspoons of sugar to cornbread are automatically disqualified.

Garlic?

You're in a thread talking about cornbread. If you're not a flyover, you need to get out.

Thanks.

>States that add whole corn kernels or more than two teaspoons of sugar to cornbread are automatically disqualified.
It's not by state, really. There were some mentions back in the old cookbook days of the 50s to the 70s, mass produced little homemaker cookbooks, that referred to yankee cornbread, but there really was no distinction that defined it that way. I had always heard white cornmeal was particular southern, but no authority on that I can find, maybe it was a white lily versus martha white vs quaker regional distribution thing. I know hominy was southern. There was a more prominent use of molasses and maple as a sweetening syrup, the more northern you got, however, you also saw more corn being sawed off the cob and into the homey custardy corn pones and puddings in the north too. But, people can and did move around, and they bring their recipes with them. At some point, sugar stopped expensive and rationed in recipes, grown more and more in the States and not just in the caribbean, thank you subsidized sugar maybe, and things just got sweeter. Maybe we can blame corn syrup, haha. AlaGa syrup is half and half, and it's old timey.

I'm a dyed in the wool New England swamp yankee but even I have to admit dense, buttery Southern cornbread is much better than the dry and cakey stuff that's served up here.

As a former Virginian now living in New York, I long ago realized the only cornbread worth eating is the stuff I'm making at home.

Louisiana native here, while nothing you said was wrong you sound like a harpy woman.
>She made Yankee cornbread bless her heart

Yankees don't eat cornbread they eat rolls and they don't eat grits neither.

>yankees don't eat cornbread or grits
there is no hell like the north.

I've lived in the South my whole life and never seen cornbread made with white cornmeal. White corn as far as I can tell is used almost exclusively for grits, which are more coarse. I was trying to make a bit of a joke with the sugar thing though, I just personally despise sweet cornbread and prefer the salty, buttery kind. Better for eating with honey or a slice of country ham. Especially if you made cornbread muffins, then you can slice off the top and slap the country ham in the middle. Get yourself your preferred breakfast side dish, wash it down with strong black coffee, watch the snow fall outside, smoke a blunt, and you have reached maximum comf.

Michigan here, seems to be true, some people or places will do it for Thanksgiving, but it's rare
mostly I've only encountered it on corn dogs, I never heard of it before the age of 12 when I had one and never knew it was served on its own until some time later

do you burgers have a good cornbread recipe to share with a europoor?

seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/southern-unsweetened-cornbread-recipe.html

Optimally you need a cast iron skillet, but you can use a regular baking dish if you have to. I usually halve the recipe and use a bit less butter.

>basic southern cornbread
white cornbread meal
buttermilk
egg
salt
pepper
lard
heat oven to 400 american units
put cast iron pan on burner with 2 tablespoons of lard
mix a couple scoops of meal with egg and milk to form a thick paste (the spoons gotta leave trails through it while you mix it that closes up pretty quickly). salt and pepper it.
tilt the now heated cast iron pan around to coat it with lard. Once the pan is coated, dump the very hot lard into the cornmeal and mix vigorously. immediately pour cornmeal into almost smoking cast iron pan on the burner. once the batter is in the pan wait until you see it 'boil'. little bubbles will come up through the center. now it is time to put it into the oven for around 25 min.

Is "cornbread meal" self-rising corn meal?

yup. pic related

thx, gonna try them soon. to bad i don't have a skillet but i'm sure some other baking pan will work just fine

Forgive the author's New Age name, this is some real deal finger suckin' CB. Made one of the hot cake recipes for breakfast today.

Sounds like a case of South vs. Yankee to me.

cookstr.com/Bread-Recipes/Dairy-Hollow-House-Skillet-Sizzled-Cornbread

seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/cook-the-book.html

Welp, we know who won that contest. Georgia, I'm looking at you!

I've been using

Preheat oven to 375 degrees amerifat
In a bowl mix:
2 cups cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Add:
1 7/8 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 stick butter

Coat a cast iron skillet with butter or oil and heat it on the stovetop. Add the batter and bake for 25 minutes. If you don't have a skillet a 9x9 glass dish will also work. You may need to adjust the buttermilk and baking time based on the humidity/altitude of where you live.

You'll want cornmeal that's:
1. Dent corn
2. Fairly coarse (at least medium grind)
3. Stone ground

Any Aussies know where I can find a loaf of corn bread? I looked in coles and woolies a few weeks ago but couldn't find it. Has anyone seen it in IGA or Baker's Delight or somewhere else?

I'm a fan of the fried, hoecake...even better with chopped jalapenos in the batter.

corn bread is

>corn meal
>butter
>water

there is to be no flour or sugar. "cakey" corn bread is disgusting and am abomination

So it's the original gluten free bread?

My mom makes the best cornbread.
So AZ, old family recipe from Texas.

Make it with about half as much suger as your recipe says, and add in a can of creamed corn.

Yes.

It constipated me. Eventually I release a big slop of shit.

It’s def not Washington.