Whole book is lists

>whole book is lists
>list of ships
>list of warriors who play 0 role in the story
>list of ancestors of the warriors who play 0 role in the story
Why the FUCK is this considered a classic?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ships
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Veeky Forums is a bunch of band wagoning pseuds
took you this long to realize?

It's one of those things you read so you'll understand when its referenced in other books.

Read further than two chapters into the story. Skip the Catalogue of Ships if it annoys you.

Ah, the sound of another pleb being filtered. Isn't it beautiful?

The lists comprise a total of maybe 15 pages out of a 500+ page poem. Get fucked

The list of ships is about as good a pleb filter as the cetology chapters in Moby Dick

It's the chronicle of a war, it's listing all the ships for historical completeness and accuracy.

I read past it
>and then the hero got shot
>haha nvm the goddess made the arrow hit some other guy
Wow it's the height of literature

>Iliad
>history

If you read the book with as much dedication as you've been making shit threads ranting about Homer, you'd be done by now. I see three fucking threads whining about the Iliad on lit right now, and my guess is they're all from you. Go adapt to your first college/intro mythology class quietly, for Christ's sake.

Ancient Greece was a society that valued ἈΝΉΡ, that's right, being a MAN. Being a MAN meant fighting breast to SWEATY OILED breast with your fellow MAN for ΚΛΈΟΣ, what you might call KLEOS—or in your barbarian tongue, GLORY. Homer knew this, though you clearly don't, and that's why he gave these MEN ΚΛΈΟΣ ἌΦΘΙΤΟΝ, that's EVERLASTING GLORY, in his poem. Try reading Works and Days, the Iliad is clearly above your ΠΤΩΧΌΣ nature.

How about read further than just the first 100 pages, you nonce

The book is a fantastic action-packed battle where friends are lost, Gods fuck each other over, bonds are built and fury is unleashed. It's fucking tragic and devastating.

How about read a fucking colouring book if your attention span is this shit

Mental flexing for poets. This is lost in translation. I was expecting a lot worse, and then it turned out the ship part was only four pages long.

Stop being a bitch. I bet you hate Moby Dick's cetology too.

google "iliad catalogue" and read the wikipedia article
kek
>It's EBIN!
please

>Iliad
>not history

this is like when people complain that frankenstein doesn't conform with the story of frankenstein and the monster that's popular in film and television.

I HAVE CHAPMAN TRANSLATION

IS IT BAYED?

Keats liked it, at least

>it actually happened
>it is a chronicle of true events
>it was spoken aloud, not written down
>it is a wisdom text concealing astronomical happenings
>it's written in a dead language

Stop being a child. It's considered a classic because it is historically important.

>being a brainlet

This is nothing like that.

Genealogies and lists were a staple genre in ancient times. See The Bible.

isn't it? friendo is suffering from broken brain after being bombarded by shitty tv shows and movies and cannot appreciate old books.

btw i'm not saying that frankenstein is as good as the iliad.

Chapman ain't great.

FUCKING COCK SHT FUCK

BRB ORDERING LATTIMORE WHILE READING POPE FROM WIKISOURECE

>another pleb being filtered
>good a pleb filter
Actually, it's an autism verification test. See a fucking doctor.

Here you go buddy this sounds like something for you, enjoy en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ships

This is the only Iliad thread I made, though I'll admit I was inspired by the other one insofar as it awakened memories of realizing the Iliad is a meme when I first read it a few years ago.

By this logic ASoIaF is the most important work of the 21st century.

>Troy was a real city
>therefore any part of the Iliad is true

No, it's like if you read Frankenstein and think it's a snooze fest regardless of any cultural cache the work has.

Most of the Bible is pretty boring as well if you don't consider it divinely inspired truth.

get the fucking butler translation if you don't want poetic conceits you fucking numpties.

time was you could expect people to berate you for not memorising the lists in greek.

Get off this board you pathetic fucking pleb. Iliad is an entertaining war poem if you can't even appreciate that you don't belong here