Let's talk about Danish literature. What are your favorite Danish books and authors?

Let's talk about Danish literature. What are your favorite Danish books and authors?

>Denmark
>Literature

Sage in all fields.

helle helle favæ :)

bro i copped a danish novel that i think rilke said was good but it's like from that era when they named novels after dudes, never read it lol

mother cannot fly.... a STONE cannot fly....

therefor.... mother is a stone....

this is it

top top tier contemporary lit. channeling Marquez to a degree, but also plenty of good sea yarns. fantastic.

Brand new publishing from NYRB

Johannes V. Jensen obviously.
I liked Skovene and Nornegæst better than Kongens Fald I think but it's all good.

You forgot to sage newfag.

In all seriousness you're just the Kierkegaard/Andersen country. I recall having to use a citation from Saxo Grammaticus for an essay I wrote on the Vinland vikings, but gee, he might have been German, come to think of it.

Sad that Hamlet is what Denmark is most known for yet he was only a fictional Dane written by an Englishman...

Hence the need to remember to put a little Sage in all fields.

Gustav Wied is really funny, I don't think I've laughed harder reading any other author. Both his more playful stories set around Knagsted as well as the more cynical Slægten/Må Fædrene etc.
As for poetry, my two favourites are Palludan-Moller and Sophus Claussen.
It's really good and pretty short. It was the most popular Danish novel outside of Denmark for a time, maybe it still is today. You'd be silly not to read it.

I DONT FUCKING KNOW

Pontoppidan, of course
What do you guys think of Lykke-Per?

This is the first time I've ever seen a Danish literature thread on Veeky Forums. Nice. Kierkegaard of course needn't be mentioned, but I like F.J. Billeskov Jansen his selection of Danish literature.
In an anthology I have he has a selection that starts at the middleages (Riget og Loven) all the way to realism, ending with Martin Andersen Nexo.
I personally find the romantic period in Danish literature to be very dull and generic, but I suppose that is a taste thing. I liked Ludvig Holberg his comedies quite a lot.

Best bildungsroman I've ever read, tbqh.

I'm really considering learning Danish as a second-language option this year. Are there any reasons not to?

It was a spite bump familad

My mom moved to Denmark a while ago and she has been reading some Steen Steensen Blicher. Is he good?

Small country, you don't get to speak it often because of this and the pronunciation is awfully hard.

hard to acquire Danish books at low prices if you don't live in Denmark. Even e-books are quite expensive.

Learn Icelandic instead, you get Old Norse for free.

Only good Danish authors:
Victor Eremita
Judge William
Johannes de Silentio
Constantine Constantius
Vigilius Haufniensis
Nicolaus Notabene
Hilarius Bookbinder
Johannes Climacus
Anti-Climacus

If you're not planning on visiting Denmark, then you are at a disadvantage in learning and sticking to it. It's also not as broadly useful as something like Spanish.

Language learning should become your spare time hobby. This is doubly so if you have no one to practice it with. I'm talking anki with visual flash cards, grammar study, and spending half your web time immersed in your language of choice. The less accessible the language, the more you have to autistically devote time to it.

Loved it, maybe the ending dragged on for a bit too long, I mean after he receded from society, but I'm not sure.
Looking forward to the film, afraid they'll ruin it.
You might learn to read and it'll be useful in reading Norwegian and, to a lesser extent, Swedish works, but you probably won't ever learn to speak it unless you move to Denmark, and even then it's tough.