Not an american, so I've never tried these, but I've always wanted to

Not an american, so I've never tried these, but I've always wanted to,,,

How the fuck do i make good mac and cheese?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stovetop-mac-n-cheese-recipe-1939465
seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/classic-bechamel-baked-mac-cheese-recipe.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>good
the only people who eat mac and cheese are children and fat people.

make a roux
add in milk
add in cheese
add your pasta

30g flour
60g butter
480ml milk
230g good sharp cheddar
7g mustard powder
230g pasta (smaller shapes, cavatappi, elbows, penne, etc.)

Grate the cheddar or slice it into thin slices that will melt easily in the sauce. Put a pot of water on to boil

Melt butter over medium heat in a sauce pan, when melted whisk in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes just until it slightly darkens in color and doesn't smell like raw flour. Whisk in the mustard powder.

Add 50ml of milk to the flour mixture, whisk it in. Repeat until all milk is added. Do this slowly or you get a lumpy sauce. Bring up to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. While you're waiting for the sauce to thicken, boil the pasta.

Once the sauce is simmering and thickened, turn off the heat, and add the cheese. Use a cooking spoon or something else if you've been using a whisk to stir it in, using the whisk with the melted cheese will make it harder to clean. Don't let the sauce boil with the cheese in it or it'll get grainy and oily, it'll still be hot enough to melt the cheese. After the cheese is melted and pasta is cooked, just mix it together.

You can bake it in the oven after this if you want to, some people like that, but it won't be as creamy. You don't have to do it, I usually don't. But if you do, put a little more grated cheddar on top of the pasta and sauce, and 50g of breadcrumbs mixed with 50g of melted butter on top of everything. It tastes good this way but it's quite rich and fatty so don't eat it too often. Sometimes I just add steamed broccoli to the mac and cheese which is nice.

Not OP, but can someone teach me how to spto make baked mac n cheese? West coast is a hard place to find any, and i havent bothered to try any recipes

This recipe

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stovetop-mac-n-cheese-recipe-1939465

Good thing im both at heart

>7g mustard powder
they dont have that at my local supermarket, can i just use a spoonful of regular mustard instead?

No

Oh, well...

>am*rican """""cuisine"""""

Add a big cooking spoonful of butter and a cup of milk

Mustard powder is not a necessity. Also, remember to add salt if you're using unsalted butter (as you should be).

Make sure you use a good cheddar. Make a good breadcrumb to top with. After that it's just a casserole.

You can substitute it with mustard gas

it's british actually

I usually do like but I like to add some paprika (not smoked) to the roux for extra color and taste. I'll even bake a tray of cut up cauliflower and stir it into the mix and then bake the whole thing. Cauliflower is cheap and adds some nutritional value to the dish without tasting too much.

Is there vinegar in the mustard? If there is it won't taste the same, but it might still be okay. You can leave it out though, it just goes well with the cheese.

Mac and cheese is a more of a Canadian thing. They love the shit.

>Not an american, so I've never tried these

>foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stovetop-mac-n-cheese-recipe-1939465
Eggs. Hot sauce. Ugh. Sometimes his recipes are crap.

>they dont have that at my local supermarket, can i just use a spoonful of regular mustard instead?
Yes, they do. Look in the dry spices area. It'll be in a yellow tin called "Colman's" if you don't see it in the McCormick area.

>Yes, they do. Look in the dry spices area. It'll be in a yellow tin called "Colman's" if you don't see it in the McCormick area.
im not an american, you daft cunt

Spit my 4loko everywhere

cos you're a cringy newfag redditor senpai

Mac and cheese from a box is made to be objectively cheap and trash tier, hence why it is advertised towards children.

Do you want to eat tide pods too?

That looks like a disgusting slop of shit.

>rotini pasta
>sharp (not medium or extra sharp) cheddar
>lots of black pepper
>onions fried in butter on top

Anything else is superfluous. Ignore rouxfags especially.

Alright lads, OP here

Here is my first try, dunno if its "legit", but damn, it turned out tasty.
Grated some pecorino romano in top, it made it even better

I used this recipe and it came out great.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/classic-bechamel-baked-mac-cheese-recipe.html

Serious Eats has never steered me wrong. Didn't bother using that sodium citrate stuff that they suggest and it came out fine to my tastes.

I also put a bit less cheese in the béchamel than they suggest, and put more in between layers of the pasta before baking.

If you like it creamier, add more cheese sauce next time. Take a pic of the inside.

Looks a little dry but I'd nosh.

>not making it the right way
Do Europeans really do this?

sorry, but the authentic American experience is artificial cheese powder mixed with an entire stick of butter

And canadians.

its actually quite a bit creamier inside, i actually think i made too much sauce, cos its pretty fucking creamy underneath,i guess it just looks "dry'" cos the pecorino made a good crust on the top.

Post the inside.

Nobody but children actually eat boxed mac and cheese in the US; shit's flavorless and kind of gross. Don't let the manchildren on Veeky Forums trick you into thinking that kraft and chef boyardee are anything other than something we give to 4 year old's.

You NEED to do it homemade style. Old ladies usually know how to make some high quality mac n cheese. Never trust anyone to make it unless they're black or white.

you don't know how to cook for shit, faggot

what in the living fuck am I even looking at

now see this looks legit

>bechamel
It's a fucking mornay.

Which is made from bechamel you fuck. Which wasn't even originally french. Go away.

If you're going to get it wrong then just fucking say cheese sauce.
Christ, this is the dumbest most pretentious fucking board.

it's like listening to George Bush speaking all over again.

It's fucking white sauce with cheese. It's derived from a mother sauce that came from another country. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm the other guy; I'm just not a jackass that thinks a square isn't a rectangle.

>It's fucking white sauce with cheese.
yeah, good. Call it that.
don't be fucking stupid.

>the absolute fucking state of amerimongrels

>gatekeeping a fucking pasta dish
it always astounds me that people like you exist.

You mean "being correct"
Keep looking like a fucking tourist by using the wrong french name for a sauce.

Worse than fucking weebs, i swear.

>fighting over naming thickened dairy
Vatel would kill himself all over again.

>tries to make mac 'n cheese
>ends up with baked ziti

Non-Americans, not even once

Cut up a hotdog into coins. Sear hotdog in butter. Make two cups of easy mac, add together. Mix in hotdog coins. Season to taste with black pepper.

don't buy boxed macaroni

American here. Looks good to me.

Mornay implies a particular cheese added to a bechamel; bechamel is used as a base because you can add literally any combination of cheeses to it, and do so to order, rather than just making a shit ton of mornay for whatever reason.

You're a sophomoric idiot.

Basic mac n cheese is roux, milk, cheese, pasta. I like to brown the roux and add fresh nutmeg to give it a deeper flavor but you don't have to

No its not it was invented by an american dairy factory in the 1800s and thats a recorded fact you literal retard

“Its british actually”

Go fuck yourself

Brown's stove top mac and cheese is pretty good. Guess you never tried it.

>Kraft dinner
>American
Its a Canadian thing. We have it stateside but nowhere near the extent of Canadia

I eat mac and cheese and I'm neither. Checkmate atheists.

Oh kek /bantz/
Same. Good comfort food.

>Mornay implies a particular cheese added to a bechamel
Just make shit up why don't you.

I'd just add a bit of hard cheese and garlic my man. Any a breadcrumb topping.

You're a fat man at heart? Does that mean you aren't actually fat but eat like you are, or that you have had a cardiac arrest

This is how I do it. Good recipe. I really like the cavatappi and I also do some black pepper. I like the salt level on the higher side too so you might need extra to taste. This also works well with a variety of cheese if you want to branch out from the classic cheddar. I use blends of fontina, cheddar, gruyere, etc.