My AlphaSmart came in the mail today, 15 bucks on Amazon. Time to get a shit tonne of undistracted writing done

My AlphaSmart came in the mail today, 15 bucks on Amazon. Time to get a shit tonne of undistracted writing done.

Is this the height of focused composition, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1950503124/penna-retro-bluetooth-keyboard-starting-as-low-as/description
youtube.com/watch?v=_RwR_nQ6SS4&t=99s
support.renaissance.com/techkb/download/AlphaSmart 3000 User's Guide.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So is your cat named love?

Stop having a cat

Mozoku

Fuck you

Does it export the files to a RTF or what?

Not sure what filetype yet, haven't transferred anything yet.

get a laptop you hipster faggot

sage

Cheapest laptops I know of cost more than 15 bucks

>get a laptop you hipster faggot
This. Grow some self control and write on a normal computer or on paper. I bet you'll still take your gadget to just show it off in public spaces to show it off, defeating even your pretend purpose lol.

holy shit i did not know these existed but now i want one!

I remember when these came out and my school bought a bunch of them which we never used for anything at all.

Is it backlit for writing in the dark?

It's not, but I've already got some leds on order to make my own backlight

Hahaha.

... You named your cat after a seaweed marketed to health nuts...
Your cat is named Seaweed.
Your little dinosaur Hemingwrite looks neat, but even the best computers can lose work, so I'll stick to paper and laptops.

While we're all on the conversation of how people write, does anyone know of a relatively cheap typewriter, no I'm not a hipster douche, and it doesn't have to be "vintage" it can be fucking plastic for all I care, just something that types and gives out a physical form without (obviously) a laptop and printer. Thanks folks.

>even the best computers can lose work
That's why I backup all my stuff on Dropbox. Plus if the service ever closes I'll be able to ask for a copy at my local security agency.

that screen is gonna get annoying fast

>I'll be able to ask for a copy at my local security agency.
They think they're collecting intel? the fools don't realize I'm playing a long, human-history-length con where they are just another archive for my work.

>wrote on tiny green screens throughout the 90s on my dad's PDAs.
can confirm

get a blood buddy you're on one namaste blood blood stein stein kerruncb\

( )( )=============>>>>>) pebe hit send you fucking extra tat ta tat for bitch

Too small of a keyboard to write comfortably.

Good luck writing on that when the EMPs strike.

Ah, I'd love this. I have a top of the line laptop, but I connect it to one of those old keyboards that make a lot of noise because I'm autistic and I need the tactical response. I also have a top of the line phone, but I hardly use it, and when I do I have the vibration tapping on.

I think a clunky typewriter that makes a lot of noise would be perfect for me. I'll let you know if I find anything user.

Guys it was 15$. If it doesn't work out for him, it's not a big loss. He can always sell it again for 10$ and get some of that money back.

This would actually work

regards intelligence monster

Its a full sized keyboard

Get a model m

kickstarter.com/projects/1950503124/penna-retro-bluetooth-keyboard-starting-as-low-as/description

>I don't write because I don't have a specific gadget/proper writing room/insert excuse here.

Hilarious.

This

If you're not writing your novel on a handheld chalkboard while sitting on the sidewalk, you're not a real writer.

This is the queerest thing ive ever seen when youre at home just write on your PC or even better, a laptop

I hope youre not considering taking that thing with you, people might mistake it as some auxiliary device for disabled people

There is a company in New Jersey that makes new typewriters with lucite cases for prisons, $150 or so. Or any Office Depot has Brother typewriters in the same price range.

>Is this the height of focused composition
No, self-control is.

Hipster trash

You can even use an ancient wax scriptorial device like the one shewed in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=_RwR_nQ6SS4&t=99s

Unless you're using chalk, wax or any form of cuneiform script you're not really writing.

autism is a disability though

I like the tiny computer things in a /g/ sense. I already have some psion portable computers and one that runs windows ce. I saw this one on ebay for $10 with free international shipping so I grabbed one

That is fucking gay.

he can sell it for $20 and make a profit...
get your shit together.

lol, what's your $100,000 idea, anons?

Is that a new debating technique?
>gadgets won't make you a better writer
>lol, what's your $100,000 idea?

>gadgets won't make you a better writer

Even the most humble of writers needs pencil and paper, but I wasn't talking about that. The other anons called the thing trash and gay, to which I only have to say "If it's stupid and makes money, it isn't stupid"

Seems worse than a type writer given how little text it shows. Besides, what's the point? If you need some gimmick to manage your lack of focus, writing is probably not your cup of tea.

It's actually not QUITE as bad as it looks first, since 100 bucks is pretty cheap for a mechanical iPad keyboard. They battery life claim is suspect though, since that thing won't be idling.

>All these "You're not a real writer if you use these things" posts
lol am I fake writer for using a mechanical pencil instead of #2?

Your means don't matter as much as your reasons to pick them. If you feel you can write better with some hipster pen ... it's pretty much irrelevant for your ability as a writer. If you need to buy some abstraction of a cock-lock because you can't control yourself from slacking off ... you're probably a shitty writer.

>You use a laptop with only a six inch screen? Heh, what a shitty writer...

It's all about the reasoning, not the thing uses. If one has a good reason to write with their own cum because it makes the book more alive for them, why the fuck not.

You should write 100k words in this unknown format before finding out it can only be read by 32-bit systems.

Get a good keyboard, plug it into your computer, install vim, type.

It's probably better to write in public and get some social interaction out of it rather than be deluded and think you'll win the next Nobel Prize in literature. I know this is Veeky Forums and people act like social interaction is for weirdos but come on.

The autistic Indian kid in 4th grade had to use this

As long as you recognize that you're doing it for social interaction instead of writing, sure. It's probably a good conversation starter.

It's not like the most influential book of this century was partly written in a cafe, right?

If I'm writing in public it's definitely gonna be the note pad that fits in my back pocket and the pen that fits in my front.

Thanks user, that's good stuff too know, and rather cheap

>alphasmart
lmao did some Veeky Forumslit/fag come up with this

Different strokes.

enjoy the neck strain op

Not OP
But blind typing stuff on that thing and proofreading it on a nor.al computer would be how I would use it if the shipping costs weren't greater than the thing itself.

Hey OP.

I've had an AlphaSmart Neo for a couple years now. It's a great tool for any writer. If you carry a bag with you everywhere you go like I do, you can stuff it in there (I would recommend buying a small laptop sleeve to carry it in, just to protect it), and take it out wherever you want and write. If you're embarrassed about doing that, just calmly remember that you are an adult and everyone else can fuck off.

It will hold eight files of about 8-10 pages each (the files for the NEO held 20-25 pages each, but the 3000, which is what you have, is different), and the batteries will last you around 700 hours. It stores every keystroke, so you never have to worry about saving it. Hit the power button to turn it off mid-word, mid-sentence if you want.

When you want to transfer a file, all you have to do is plug it into your computer, open a blank document and press the "Send" key while the file you want to transfer is open on the Alphsmart. Kind of a weird process, but you'll get used to it. The Alphasmart is basically a keyboard while it's plugged into your computer, and it's typing out everything you stored in the file. The speed in which it transfers should be changeable on the device. Not sure where it's located on the 3000, but look around, you'll find it. Anyway, after you've done that, you're free to save the text in whatever format the word processor program on your computer uses.

There should be a sticker on the underside of your 3000 that shows you shortcuts for certain functions. It's a nice little thing to have. If not, I'm sure you can find a manual online somewhere.

Remember, these things were made to teach little kids to type, so they're gonna be low on features, but really, that's the point, right?

Thank you for being helpful. Hard to find a good single description of the thing anywhere.

pen and paper my friend

I dunno, a soda can opening machine that's controlled from your phone. A rolling machine app+smart-rollerTM combo.

If smart-juicers and that fucking thing can make bank I wouldn't doubt it.

It's a neat little thing to have; faster than pen and paper, smaller than a laptop. Also, it's not a phone.

I've written a lot with my Neo, and quite often because I can go anywhere and write. Deep in the woods, abandoned buildings, back yard, my car; anywhere, like I said.

Also, don't forget to transfer your files to your computer regularly. Given that your 3000 holds far less than the Neo, I would transfer everyday that you write, if only to free up space.

I'm unsure on the functionality particulars of the 3000, but you should also be able to change the number of lines visible on the screen at once. If more lines feels more comfortable to you, go that route.

Also, here is the manual, in case you need it:

support.renaissance.com/techkb/download/AlphaSmart 3000 User's Guide.pdf

good luck OP, I had one of these in school because I pissed and moaned about writing by hand so much, it's a fun sort of portable appliance thing
it sends raw keystrokes, unless you hook it up to a printer, in which case it sends ASCII
no but the follow-up product called the Dana has a backlight, along with stylus support and a bunch of other PDA stuff
it saves every time you type and it has a backup battery, one of those coin cells that takes years to run out
in all my four or so years of using one I lost work maybe once or twice, and anyway it's designed to be really easy to offload to another device
it largely is for disabled people, I only got one in school because I was diagnosed as OCD (which apparently turned out to be general anxiety disorder with a bit of autism), it was causing me to write every single letter at least twice to try to make it perfect, and even when it was perfect it was a fluke and I'd thicken and accentuate it to make it fit in and feel like I owned the effort that went in
it can only be directly read by systems with DIN or PS/2 keyboard connectors, but you can use a USB converter just like with an older keyboard

fun fact: you can change this thing around to use Dvorak
I did it once in 6th grade, it was a nice challenge and I eventually got to be a decent typist like that, but then someone made me change it back

you idiots romanticizing typewriters have clearly never written on one

count how many times you go for the nonexistent delete key

There's tape for that.

Absolutely none.

just realized I gave two conflicting accounts of why I had one
both are true, I took forever to write anything and I pissed and moaned because I didn't enjoy doing it, fixing the letters and words didn't make me feel better, it just stopped me from clenching up my whole body over them not being right

Anybody else /dysgraphia/ here? Had to use an Alpha Smart to write for like eight years of school.

You can get any bluetooth wireless mechanical keyboard and accomplish the same thing.

They gave me one of these in highschool as special ed equipment because I never learned how to write. It fucking sucked. I don't know why anyone would actually want one. I don't think it has a USB port, only hold 8 files, the character limit for each file is pretty tiny and the keys start to stick after minimal use.

But hey, Congrats on your purchase I guess!

>eight files of about 8-10 pages

So basically nothing?

Lol, what's the fucking point?

yo, no homo, but my cat has that exact same charcoal grey. and almost same pattern. I have never seen another one with that same colour

I don't know what to tell you, the shelter told me she came from a bad family and I would need to be soft as fuck.

I basically let her have run of the house for a week before I yelled at her, and then I felt bad.

She's a good girl, I hust want her to be happy

I want herto ber happy

my pussy
does not deserve
a pee pee
it is better than that
she's a good girl
i just want
her to be
happy
i want herto
ber happy