Why does Veeky Forums hate ya fiction so much? What's wrong with it?

Why does Veeky Forums hate ya fiction so much? What's wrong with it?

badly written uninteresting ideas

/thread

Also, women, liberals, and sexually active people seem to love it, and since we're conservative white men, we prefer to distance ourselves from that sort of thing

Becuase if it isn't blatant Marxist criticism of class systems (hunger games) it's just 'empowering' nonsense

>A young girl discovers she has the power to...

They tend to dumb down the ideas they deal with, often abandon their premise to delve into a good v evil plot with a love triangle and are almost always painfully formulaic.

They also tend to not be very well written, with weak descriptions and 'witty' dialogue.

But then it's targeted at kids who have little interest in reading something challenging. It's not the genre's fault that it's mostly read by adults.

90% of ya fiction is people trying to make Harry Potter or Twilight all over again.

It's like cartoons. There's some great ideas in a few places, but the genre itself is flooded with unoriginal crap using the same themes in a new setting. Not even a new one, often as not.

> it's targeted at kids who have little interest in reading something challenging

Bullshit. I've read children's books that are better written and more challenging than this.

yes

The YA authors might not realise they're doing it, or maybe they know full well, but it inspires blatant politicism. I'm sorry, but yes, there is an age to be too young for politics, and it's the age where YA fiction is about you.

"more challenging" in a YA novel means the girl got raped by her daddy TWICE instead of once, and it took three years to find a boi who loves her anyway, instead of one.
And she moved around a few times.

Furthermore it inspires extremism because people end up viewing politics as solely good vs evil. For all Trumps faults he is not an evil wizard who wants to kill kids for no real reason, yet the adults who still worship YA are unable to see politics as boring day in day out policy choices and instead see it as epic good vs evil. YA has become a genre of political parables and since most kids today grow up without any religion this is what fills its place. These things have consequences

And that is why YA is shit. It thinks that being "mature", "dark", or "challenging", means being unbearably edgy.

Are there any good YA novels anyway?

This is true in general. Children's books are often designed to be read aloud to a child by a parent, so they often have a deeper meaning the parent can appreciate (e.g Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is actually a criticism of specific types of parenting). While YA books are often read by teens that are too dumb to move onto adult books.

Yes, but generally they are the ones aimed more at the 11-14 age than the 15-17 age.
Some examples:
A Series of Unfortunate Events (it's rare to find such a postmodern narrative style in this genre)
His Dark Materials (the anti-religion message is quite outdated today but it was something new in a YA book for its time)

Picked this up the other day because I was out and had nothing to read. I thought it was by Philip Jose Farmer. The concept seems quite cool.

Hobbit, Alice in Wonderland, Narnia.

Earthsea, Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books, The Shattered Sea books, The Owl Service, Coraline, Archer's Goon.

those are kids books

I read that in middle school I remember it being pretty good it has an "edgy" ending

Anyone have the Looking for Alaska extract?

>badly written
It's for kids. Don't expect it to look like Cormac McCarthy or Lovecraft. It needs to be simple (and yes, this means sometimes employing more adverbs, etc. than in adult books). It doesn't make it badly written, it's just tailored to be comprehensible by the target audience.
>uninteresting ideas
It's for kids.

I know Veeky Forums is full of new adults who are eager to assert themselves as grown ups, but you need to understand that you're not the target audience for everything and that books for different audiences cannot be judged on the same criterias.

Bro I knew they were shit even when I was a teenager.

>Implying religion is necessary
Oooorrrrrr how about they stop being retarded and think for themselves. We don't need religion we just need people with critical thinking skills which our culture does NOT endorse

Teen spotted, fuck back to tumblr

You can write fiction that can be appreciated on multiple levels. The two series I named do this effectively:
A 10 year-old reading HDM will be able of appreciating the core good vs evil fantasy story it is.
A 15 year-old will take note of the anti-Christian and anti-authority subtext, and may also be able to relate Will and Lyra's romance to their own experiences.
A 20 year-old reading HDM will spot the parallels (and subversion) of Milton's Paradise Lost.

Likewise with ASOUE, the writer throws up tons of references that would go over a 10 year-old reader's head, and writes in a unique postmodern style (the omniscient narrator turning into an "invisible" character in the story) that hadn't been used before, and the books involve little fantasy elements, teaching young teens a better lesson than "when you wake up you have a surprise [magic powers] lol", it's "you can solve your problems with good critical thinking even if your life circumstances aren't lucky". By contrast, something like Harry Potter books 1-3 only really contain a tautological good vs evil message.

Both the series I mentioned were both commercially successful and critically acclaimed .