How old were you when you were realized your parents were actually terrible cooks...

How old were you when you were realized your parents were actually terrible cooks? I still remember the first time I tried learning how to cook breakfast from my aunt and watched her cook bacon for twenty minutes on both sides. We watched a whole episode of Magnum PI while cooking a single pack of bacon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KZIb9qEm1W8
youtube.com/watch?v=KZIb9qEm1W8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i always hated my moms cooking even way before i learned to cook. she got better later in life when she could devote time to it. she was working and raising us so its forgivable

Gotta make sure there's no pink or else you'll get salmonella!

about 16 or 17
i realized she was opening canned vegetables and heating them in a pot...she wasn't really cooking

Probably the first time I went to a steak house at like 10. Different family member ordered for me and the steak wasn't coal when I got it.

When I went to a neighbor's house and the single mom, who was a chef, cooked me a grilled cheese sandwich. It was actually good, unlike the horrible microwaved meatloaf or chili made with microwaved ground beef my parents made.

>We watched a whole episode of Magnum PI while cooking a single pack of bacon.

wife material

Never. Both my parents were pretty great cooks who learned the basics from their own mothers and got good long before I was born by cooking for themselves and each other. How the fuck do married couples manage to stay bad at cooking when they constantly have to eat and critique one another's shit?

>grilled cheese
>chef
user...

My dad is a great cook, learned from his mom who has been the matriarch of the family and thus was always the cook for major get-togethers. My mom isn't amazing and generally sticks to recipes she finds, but she can follow them well and doesn't overcook or undercook ingredients.

My mom didn't really learn to cook until me and my brothers left. The food she makes now is miles better than what I ate when I was a kid. Of course whenever i visit I still request some of the meals she made when we were little cause it's just home.

She owned a decent restaurant for a couple years, I didn't have an intellectual interest in food at the time and don't remember what they served, but it was the first place I ever had White Rabbit candy. In the 90's.

My parents severely undercook bacon on this microwave thing

the only thing my mom messed up was the stake everything else is a treat when I go see my family. my dad rocked the grill too.
I now make them Indian, jap, Chinese, Mexican, and take them for thai, Korean and everything else I can and they hate all of it. but they are great cooks. my dad likes my sushi and sashimi and Mexican, and loves my rare stake but we have to sneak from my mom

When I started liking things I ate out that I didn't like at home and realized it was because my parents made typical WASPy no seasoning white ppl recipes

My mom was always good at cooking/baking, my dad was good at grilling, and anything that had instructions.

It was realizing when I went over to other kid's houses that I learned food could suck. My friends always loved my mom's cooking.

For my mom, it wasn't until I tried a steak that wasn't done, I guess. For my dad, never. He's the one who mainly taught me how to cook and has always made some killer food. There's still a lot I want to learn from him.

I'm kinda still upset I never learned my grandmother's recipes before she passed away, but my dad still knows some of them.

Probably about 5, my mom learned to cook from her mom who only set the burners on the stove to high. her bacon looked worse than that, cooked eggs with hard yolks, pork chops that you could sharpen and chop down a tree with. The only thing she made right was fried chicken which was strange because she hated chicken.

Luckily both my parents were good cooks

Dad had a lot of experience as a kid working in hotels & a country club my grandfather was a GM for. Always fixes good stuff, no crazy alterations, Great technique with cooking meats

My mom on the other hand also had great technique but she would come up with the worst combinations and honestly the food she prefers is fucking overwhelming and nasty (think sardines, capers, curry). So many perfectly appetizing dishes were ruined by some bullshit that was about to spoil in the fridge. But excels when given a specific thing to make

Thankfully Veeky Forums has taught me that they both are utter shit

I was blessed with two parents that knew how to cook. Dad could grill meats to perfection and came up with his own sauce recipes. One day, dad taught me a lesson I will never forget.
>Be me, 7 or 8 years old.
>Dad asks"How do you want your steak done user?"
>Well done please dad, i like the crispyness,
>"But son you will ruin the meat that way. One day, you will learn."
>Be me, 18 or 19 years old. Home on leave from the military.
>"user, how do you want your steak done?"
>Well done please dad, like always.
>"Son, today is the day you learn. Im going to cook your meat medium, and if you dont like it, I an put it back on the grill. Trust me, you wont regret it."
>Dinner time. Dad picked the best steak for me.
>"Here you go user, hope you like it."
>Dad, its so tender and flavorful! A small tear rolls down my cheek.
>All these years, ive been missing out.
>I'm sorry dad, ill never doubt you again when it comes to cooking.

Mom was a great oven cook. Anything on the stove or in the oven, mom cooked perfection. I enjoyed a nice balance of good meals 6 out of 7 days a week. The one day was leftovers, which were still good.

My dad had a system for Grilled porkchops
>pepper one side
>throw on grill
>20 minutes per side
>flip and do another 5 for safe measure
He thinks American pork is the same as it was in the 1970's quality wise

This is making me disappointed in you anons, can't you just be a good son/daughter and help them cook better?

I tried, my mom has too much pride and wont let me
She has this "the child doesn't teach the parent" thing, but it's whatever, whenever I visit, I cook, she thinks I'm the better cook too, but when she wants to cook, she cooks

When I got a girlfriend and she quickly realized I didn't know how to cook fucking anything the right way. I was cooking chicken breasts without any seasoning like a true white person before I was shown the light.

I'm actually grateful for their cooking after seeing the big slops of shit regularly posted on Veeky Forums

Both my parents are fine cooks, maybe better than average. But holy fuck do they not give a single shit about healthy eating. We always had some veggies and whatever but our portions were always huge. I'm still trying to lower what I think I need to eat for a meal and I moved out 4 years ago. I always make too much, and just end up eating it anyway because "it would be a waste"

You can have my Veg-All when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Cold. Dead. Hands.

Yeah. It's almost like she brought good technique to food she thought a guest would enjoy. What kind of asshold does that when they could be showing off?

*audible hunger sounds from looking at picture*

why do americans cook bacon until it turns into ash?

My mom's cooking has been sub-par for about as long as I can remember. Mainly, she overcooked her meat, and either used too much seasoning blends or the wrong kinds of seasoning. She also hated cooked vegetables so she never really learned how to cook them properly. I mainly learned how to cook from my dad. He taught me how to make rice, how to check meat for doneness, how to control the heat in your pan, etc. Practical stuff. But he also ate a lot of stuff out of a can (we were poor as shit so sometimes you just have to harvest dinner from a few cans in the pantry).

My mother learned a lot from me because I'm always challenging myself to try something different. I also had the benefit of the internet, where I could watch someone on youtube and compare to see if I was doing it right.

My mom was a decent baker, she had lots of people that enjoyed her cookies or other desserts. My dad made most of the dinners because of work schedule and it was standard lower middle class fair. I was manning the grill for steaks and burgers by college age at my mother's behest, but my dad wasn't terrible. He'd often try traditional polish and Russian dishes his parents had made growing up dirt poor in Chicago and I didn't like those just because they were slav food. As far as the OP picture both of mine could do shit like cook bacon and eggs proficiently.

>not topping your ash burgers with cheese
Heh.

We like the char taste on meats and our grandmothers were constantly threatened with death by foodborne illness thanks to old-school Lysol commercials. It's gotten better, but not by much.

Yes, nigger.
youtu.be/KZIb9qEm1W8

My mom is a good cook in all regards except preparing meat, always dry as the sahara.
What she actually excels at is baking, however i think she puts a bit too much sugar at times. She's got a sweet tooth, she lives on Vanilla Coke, candy/sweets and the occasional mexican dinner, the thing is she hardly eats, shes like late 50s and still a size 6.
I can't complain really, she did a good job. I wish she fed us vegetables growing up, she always hated them so she never made them for us. I was a tubby kid t b h, i tried broccoli on my own volition in 10th grade at a Chinese place, was amazed and proceeded to eat as much broccoli i could get my hands on for the next two years.

Pretty much this. Fear of food-borne illness persists though alot of it is because of idiot waitresses leaving mayo and other egg-based things out on the counter.

That and bad handley at grocers and laughably bad thermostats in home fridges. And chicken.

Some people have shitty palates and/or are indiscriminate.

My mom learned how to cook from my dad, who himself used to work as a cook in a French restaurant. My dad no longer cooks and whenever he cooks he does it in a very “I don’t give a fuck way”, eg tossing some shit meat in a pan, with some random vegetables, while serving a perfect home made mayonnaise.
My mom food is nice but not very technical (she doesn’t really get how to deglaze or make sauces) nor perfectionist (doesn’t properly drain her pasta, so there is always some water and she doesn’t mind, probably because she’s Asian)
Overall they are pretty ok cooks, they can easily blow the mind of their brothers and sisters (because they cook like utter shit) but that’s it.
The thing I appreciate the most from them is that I learned a lot about food, especially from my dad.

>WASP
>poverty food

My mom can't cook for shit, the best she made was sauceless pasta.
but my father he was a good man, i learned all about cooking from him, he used to be a fisherman and cook at a restaurant nearby a beach, so we always had seafood, my favorite was when he cooked shrimp and garlic fried on coconut oil, or crab stew.

once I moved out and realized how much better everything tastes when it's cooked properly
my grandma was an exceptionally horrible cook, so my mom got food poisoning on a regular basis as a kid, leading her to go too far in the other direction and completely overcook everything (I visited her a few weeks ago and she broiled boneless skinless chicken breasts on high for over an hour and a half), so I originally undercooked everything and was terrified of cooking meat
I also started using the right ingredients to make everything as I cooked more and started making stuff I didn't learn from her, which made things a lot better, but now I do weird substitutions on my own, but because shit is expensive and grocery shopping is a pain in the ass, not because I'm trying to make everything as healthy as remotely possible, at the expense of not tasting awful
more recently I've been getting better at cooking things longer, and started caring about browning stuff, after learning it makes stuff taste a lot better and doesn't have to cause the type of dried out rubbery bricks we had as a kid

none of that shit is cheap, it's just really low quality and low effort

My dad is a great cook, my mom isnt. I found out when they split.

I ate a steak in a restaurant and realized my dad overcooked every meat into leather. For the longest time as a kid I thought meat was disgusting. Same with vegetables, he was just boiling them into mush. Same with soup, he put a bunch of canned vegetables in a pot of water and dumped dried herbs in it with some canned beans. And as bad as he is, my mom is worse.

My dad works as a cook, but he can't really cook normal shit. At home he just boils potatoes and meat and shit. He must get sick of cooking so treats home cooking as sustenance cooking.

When I visited my mom after living by myself for a year, by which point I had somehow learned to be a way better cook despite her having been a stay-at-home mom.

That said, she still outclasses me at making candy and baking. Fucking sugar crystallization control, man, how does it work?

Never because my parents aren't white people

My mom is a really good cook. My dad is decent. I've helped out with cooking from an early age, so I can cook fairly well and I'm thankful for it.

Years ago I shared an apartment with a friend. One evening he had some friends of his over and were going to cook dinner together. I remember one guy, still living with his parents. I asked him to chop an onion.

After taking 5 minutes to peel it, he puts the onion on the cutting board. He takes the knife and randomly cuts at the onion without holding it still with his other hand. Eventually the onion is reduced to chunks small enough to at least stay put on the cutting board.

He was clearly embarrassed but I didn't want to wound his pride by asking if he knew what he was doing. I guess he was 19-20 at the time.

It's cheap and low quality. Most certainly poverty tier.

Oh, so you've not met them?

My mom is a good cook, but as I got older she stopped caring about being the perfect housewife and started getting lazier with dinner. She used to bake pastries every weekend and they were bomb, and she would cook a big dinner from scratch every night.

My dad cannot grill to save his life. He's a cheap fuck so he bought the crappiest grill you can get at Menard's and he wonders why his steaks always turn out terrible.

topkek, BTFO

My mom is a really good cook, but growing up I didn't think she was. Only after I moved out and got married did she tell me that my father likes really bland meals, and she cooked to his tastes.

This makes sense, because I can remember when he went on a business trip once, and mom made an extremely delicious quiche for dinner, and both my sister and I enjoyed it. She didn't make it again because my dad wouldn't have eaten it.

>tl;dr: one partner may be cooking to the other's tastes, and the other's tastes might be shit

my dad has the taste in food of an autistic 6 year old so i have to discover everything that isn't hot dogs, soup, mac and cheese, and scrambled eggs for myself. at least now i've got a friendgroup to go to bars and restaurants with

My mom was single broke working and raising us. She never cooked like shit and is now a chef.
Making excuses for laziness... Smh

my mum was a great cook but now she cuts every corner possible and constantly says 'i know it's not up to your standards'. i think when i learned how to cook it undermined her pride as a mum and killed her interest in cooking. or she just doesn't have to now i'm grown up. either way it sucks.

My mums the same. Doesn't even want to cook anymore since there's nobody to cook for.

Pretty much this.

Twelve maybe. The funny thing is my mother is actually a fantastic cook, but she gimped her cooking for my entire childhood trying to cook "healthy," where healthy meant whatever the latest food health meme was. Spent most of my childhood eating food with no salt because my Mom fell for the meme.
Now that she is retired, and I live on my own, she cooks fucking decadently, because she realized she was being an idiot sometime over the past few years I guess.

I'm definitely a member of the "thought steak was terrible until I was old enough to order my own rare/medium rare because folks only ever served it as leather with dipping sauce" society

I was around 19 when I came home from college one summer.

My mom has always been proud of her Crock-Pot Pot Roast. God Damn that is the driest piece of meat if you don't absolutely smother it in gravy. My dad on the other hand made the fluffiest buttermilk pancakes.

dad had a couple things he could cook really well but the rest ranged from meh to disgusting
the worst was his fish pizza wich was the blandest fish in the world baked with crappy cheese and tomato sauce straight from a can, between that and my moms sheppard pie and chicken i used to eat a bottle of keptchup a week

I fucking LOVE my mum's cooking, it's my favourite.
My dad never cooked at all, but he cooked Christmas dinner 2 years in a row recently and they were both amazing and now he's started cooking more and there's not been a bad meal yet that I've eaten.

So yeah, my parents food is my favourite food.
Other than a couple of local takeaway places.

>12 and overweight
>female and raised by my dad
>grew up on shake 'n bake pork chops, sloppy joes, Chinese take-out, Arby's, and tendies
>pasta and rice dishes always came out of a box
>only drank capri suns
>dad thought fruit cocktail and canned green beans were top tier produce

so I started watching the cooking network and learned a ton about ingredients and techniques. My dad gave me a grocery allowance so I could make my own dinners, since he was not interested in quality food. I lost a lot of weight eventually and got Veeky Forums when I was 18. Now I'm 27 and work in the restaurant industry, having managed several kitchens and helped develop menus for bars and cafes. I feel like I owe it to my dad for being a terrible cook

LONDON

youtube.com/watch?v=KZIb9qEm1W8
;^)

>stake

Are you me?

>tfw my grandma is and has always been an abysmal cook
>grew up in the depression era so she thinks that ingredients never go bad if they're refrigerated/frozen
>drenches everything in soy sauce or salt
>has some food/ingredients so old that they have (dead) worms
>have to refuse food everytime I visit (which is often)
>mom is actually a decent cook by comparison
I hope none of you ever know this disappointment

I was very young. Probably 10 or 11. I couldn't stand everything they cooked. Overly well done meat, boiled to shit vegetables, no seasoning. Just awful. I was a vegetarian starting at 16 to get away from their cooking and start cooking for myself. Once I was out on my own I just gave up vegetarianism and kept cooking for myself, and now I do all the cooking at family events.

My dad is a little too akin to using only salt and pepper. And it's that coarse grinder stuff in which pieces get on your tongue.

He'd only use anything else when he's making Ribs or turkey.

I often catch myself using too much of one spice, but not to the extent of my dad

my parents are both good cooks, they've gotten much lazier and less adventurous over the years though, which is a shame, particularly because I appreciate their cooking much more now that I can cook too, eg I can understand that they never overcooked meat or vegetables

when why dad made soup. He gets really assmad when someone implies they hate it so we all have to pretend to enjoy it. Luckily my family is antisocial as fuck so I can feed to the dog without anyone noticing.

This is my family.

My mom was the same way. Still is. She'll serve you gray pot roast except instead of gravy she'd simmer it in cream of mushroom soup so the roast looked like it was covered in cum. It wasn't terrible, but would have been better if she'd browned it beforehand and paired it with a decent gravy.

College, I was eating in the dining hall and my friends were complaining about the food and were talking about how they miss there home cooked meals. The dinning hall Food was far superior than my moms food

It's to hard to fuck up Pork chops and slowcooked roast/pork/whatever which is what my mum always cooked for dinner

>dissing shake 'n' bake prokchops
You best not be serious, missy

managing several kitchens just means u quit or got fired like a lil bitch six times

When I discovered that chicken isn't supposed to reach 180 degrees Fahrenheit

>the roast looked like it was covered in cum

Cream of mushroom soup isn't exactly appetizing looking.

So, is your argument that autism is an inherited trait?

minutes per side
is it not charcoal by that point? holy shit

my dad uses this for gravy

I don't mean he adds a jar of this to homemade gravy to thicken it up or whatever

he literally just gets like 6 jars of them

pic related

>woman
>being a chef
Yeah nice fucking story.

My mother is, and always has been, a decent cook. Our family always seemed to have financial problems but she'd always find a way to make sure we had a meal that could rival local restaurants. I still don't know how she managed to do it.

My father was different. I first realized he couldn't cook when I was around 12 and my mother wasn't feeling too well, so she asked my father to cook dinner for my sisters and I. After about 15 minutes of him pouting and groaning in the kitchen, I watched him open a bag of baby spinach and start pan frying a few leaves. He just placed the leaves in a hot pan and attempted to flip them after a few seconds.
He eventually got overly frustrated, like he tends to do with most things, gave up, and told us that we'd be making our own dinners that night before retreating to his room.
Since I was the only other person who had at least some experience with the stove, I wound up making fried ham egg and cheese sandwiches for everyone. After eating, he gave me shit about actually using the stove because I "could have burned down the house." We ate cereal after that until my mother started feeling better.

My Dad was pretty good at it for a long while but then he started taking short cuts in doing stuff and while it was good most of the time there were some stinkers. But my mom, dear christ, even to this day is a bad cook. The food is edible, but honestly Id rather just eat fast food at that point.

When I was in my teens and up to about 21yr old she would routinely serve me undercooked chicken like completely pink and raw in the middle chicken, boiled for 30mim veggies, a salt bomb side from a packet (like those rice things) and maybe some kind of insanely sweet drink like soda or iced tea.

Im so glad I cook for myself now.

my mom never learned to cook. had to teach herself later in life when the kids left the home. hard to blame her. had a masters degree and worked fulltime while raising two boys.

same, except my dad has an obsession with hamburgers and sweet tea.

good women are hard to find.

My mom, in my teens
Went on a health craze in middle school. Had to find creative ways to get junk food.
Healthy food is good if you cook it right, but was never satisfied with her food

Dad, not to long ago, he over cooked the steaks I gave him, don’t know if it was his fault or the grill that is about to go

Overall I really like my mom's cooking, but fuck, she can't cook pork chops for the life of her. As a kid I always thought I just didn't like pork chops; didn't realize it was because she always made them dry as shit.

>WASP
"what are salt and pepper"?

My parents aren't bad, I really like it actually. Although when it comes to the more foreign stuff they tend not to do as well (which is understandable)

for my dad
>steak was always overcooked, and demanded pot roast be cooked in the slow cooker until it was dry
and
>made gravy with flour and water and let that work in whatever juices were leftover

for my mom
>ruined polenta once
she isnt really bad at it, she just slips just as much as me with new recipes. and in fairness, polenta can be a bitch if you never made it before. she is usually pretty good.