How come rum is very widely used in baking, but gin almost never?

How come rum is very widely used in baking, but gin almost never?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/gin-tonic-cupcakes)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

gin tastes like shit
gin and tonic is terrible

Because rum is pretty much pure sugar where gin tastes like a christmas tree

Because rum tastes good in baking while gin tastes horrible in baking. How could you not figure this out on your own?

a lot of gin does taste shit
one of the cheap ones I once drank smelled of christmas trees and tasted like pure tree sap
some of the good ones smell like flowers and taste like gumballs
personally, I think gin and tonics taste great with either kind

no it doesn't
no it's not

gin is piss water fit for an animal

you don't understand the term piss water

drinking piss tastes better than drinking gin, how's that for understanding

Im sure you've gulped piss before to know that

Basically this. Rum is literally fermented sugar cane, whereas gin is a neutral spirit with herbs and spices added, which would add nothing that adding those flavors separately wouldn't do better.

You want your food tasting like burnt herbs?

Gin tastes like juniper berry. Rum tastes like rum.

>not playing with your gf by pissing on her than having her wrestle you and she pisses on you as revenge
You are pathetic.

Rum goes better with baked goods. It's not rocket science.

Most rum is fermented from molasses, rather than the cane itself. Almost every rum has a fair amount of sugar added back before bottling, as well.

explain why i just had bombay and tonic water and it tasted like shit
vodka and oj is objectively the only nice tasting drink

Because you don’t understand the difference between subjective and objective perspectives

For OP: gin is a spirit that contains a resinous aspect from the juniper berries. You don’t usually bake with resins, the flavor profiles of yeast and resin do not work well together.

Enjoy the rum cakes but the gin and tonic is refreshing after a long hot day working outside.

>tastes like a Christmas tree

Might be good in desserts. I'll eventually try a gin cake.

Bourbon is super delicious in desserts, and that flavor comes from oak.

gin and tonic is potentially the worst simple drink one can have
it literally tastes like death

that cheaper one sounds a lot more appealing

When you grow up you'll learn to appreciate bitter flavors

it has nothing to do with being bitter
when you grow up you will forget gin and start drinking whisky like a normal person

When you grow up you'll know how to appreciate both

How many times are you going to post this, manchild?

now i want to trybaking ciabatta with gin and rosemary

Because rum is sweeter and more palatable. Nobody likes drinking alcohol that tastes like dish soap.

gin is a neutral spirit flavored with literally any combination of aromatics you can imagine. therefore they all taste like dishsoap. compelling logic

People like sugar in their desserts, not pinesol

I like this idea, but adding alcohol would inhibit gluten from forming in the bread

trips don't lie. this guy is a submissive piss-bathing human toilet.

You mad cause it's true faggot? Go chug a whole bottle of your dishsoap tasting alcohol then.

I've never seen anyone so childish and mad about about a spirit that he feels compelled to samefag and spam over 10 times in the same thread.

Got a feeling the yanks don't like gin

when you grow up you'll stop caring about what other people like

but nobody likes gin
they delude themselves into thinking it's good to feel special, or out of some sort of weird stockholm syndrome loyalty

it's outdated and utterly inferior to more modern spirits

Because gin doesn't fucking taste good with most baked goods you retard. It can be done with creativity(goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/gin-tonic-cupcakes) but there is very little you can do with gin in pastries. And I'm an actual pastry chef so I know what I'm talking about.

It's literally one person, why do you even assume he's American?

upstate ny here
love bourbon, scotch, vodka, and gin
if you can't find a good version of any spirit it's either because you're not looking, or because you're a shortsighted faggot who already made up his mind not to like something.

What a stupid answer

Gin is more herbaceous than what you normally find in cakes and such. Even mint is kind of niche as a dominating flavor in cakes and cookies. Meanwhile, rum is basically liquid candy, even to people less predisposed toward alcohol. It tends to taste like more complex sugar when you're using it in baking, so it's a lot more neutral. Less potentially offensive, so more commonly used.

>Because you don’t understand the difference between subjective and objective perspectives
GIN AND TONIC TASTES LIKE SHIT
TONIC TASTES LIKE SHIT

like an autistic child covering his ears and shouting

t. nigger who buys Schweppes from Wal-Mart

i only drink Stolichnaya and Barcardi
everything else is ass

Weak bait senpai

I've never baked with it, but I'd be happy to try some gin and tonic cake.

I do, however, bake with alcohol often. Banana nut bread with a lime and rum drizzle. I make a whisky caramel sauce for bread pudding. I like the rumchata capsules to make a rumchata coffee. I love an irish coffee, or a grand marnier or amaretto coffee sometimes. Rum or whisky balls with just basic nuts, powdered sugar and crushed vanilla wafers.

Bread pudding sauce recipe please, emeril's sucks

not bait

You have shit taste even in the liquors you do like, then.

t. drinks gin n tonic

I started with vodka tonic fwiw

Soak raisins in hot whiskey or bourbon or rum to plump up. Dissolve sugar, vanilla, and if you're spicing it up (sometimes I don't) any combination of cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg into half and half. Combine with eggs, to make your general french toast soak. Add cubed challah or other leftover bread to soak. Pour into well buttered dish or ramekins. Bake in bain marie Sorry I don't have a recipe. I do only make this when doing some leftovers, like after christmas...and then I break open the really aged stuff for the sauce. I don't like heavy smoke in my whiskey hard sauce, so anything like Jameson is best with me or I go with rum.

Emeril learned his craft from his stint in Commander's Palace...and they do a twice-baked bread pudding that has a browned eggwhite souffle 2nd step that gives a almost a meringue topping, that is fun to cut through with your spoon kind of like baked alaska. Is that the recipe Emeril shares? It'd be a hassle to make, I think, but certainly not traditional. I like a bread pudding that has a fruitcake spice essence, as well as pumpkin bread puddings. I don't like chocolate, however, and I think nuts ruin the texture.