Weird Family Recipies

Has anyone ever given you "The Business"?

Sounds like a slop of shit

It's the sauce that doesn't make sense to me. Why not make gravy?
Man, fundamentalist Mormons are the weirdest of the white folks.

In my family we had Tuna on Toast when we were feeling poor. Basically tuna gravy on toast. Good way to feed a family with one can if tuna, some bread and flour.
I elevate it a bit, double the tuna and call it Killer Whale Food and the kids love it.

Because you can just open a can or jar of spaghetti and dump it in.

I guess so, but in this book the author was talking about how poor they were, and how their dad didn't let them get food stamps or anything. So I'd assume gravy would be cheaper. I mean I always think of these polygamist wives as handy in the kitchen at the very least.

The fuck are whipped potatoes

No, but my family makes "pink stuff". Looks bad but tastes good.

WHAT THE HELL IS IN "pink stuff"????

I would assume pink foods or perhaps red and white foods

I don't have the complete ingredient list but there's cottage cheese and maraschino cherries. Something makes it sweet. I want to say it is marshmallow fluff but I'm not sure.

you take stuff and add pink food coloring to it a-DOY

I am open to this.
Holy shit. I have literally never seen that word written down. The last time I heard someone say DOY I was in elementary school. I was born in the 80s you're freaking me out.

When I was in jail, my favorite meal was S.O.S, or shit on a shingle. it was pretty tasty and cheap to make. I enjoyed it even though it looked like some slop of shit.

potatoes that have been whipped

Filipino meat loaf

For every two pounds of beef, get
1 egg
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 can of Campbell's Alphabet Soup

Throw it all in a big bowl
Mash it all together
Form it up
Cook it until done

Surprisingly tasty.

The alphabet soup sounds like a real game changer!

holy fuck man everywhere i look it's slop of shit this slop of shit that, i cant get away from you.

please, stop :(

Slopfag is the hero we need, but not one we deserve. Be respectful in his presence.

A little credit to my idiot, useless mom, but the alphabet soup is pretty clever. It's got a bunch of different veggies in it for texture, and it has that tomato taste that really works well with meatloaf. It's pretty damn good.

Are you the guy whose mom made the Scarface womb pizza?

This is a side dish, but whenever my mom would grill or bbq, she'd make a side she just called "Spicy Corn".
>2 cans if corn, drained
>1 small onion, chopped
>2 fresh jalapenos, minced
>8 oz cream cheese
>hot sauce and s&p to taste
Saute the onion and jalapeno in a little oil or butter just until tender-crisp. Add the cream cheese and stir over low heat to melt. Add the corn and stir well, letting it come to a low simmer so it's hot throughout. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
It's pretty white trash, but FUCK if it's not delicious. Other than that, pretty much all her other cooking was more bourgeoisie.

I don't know, man.
I kinda get it, I see the appeal, but the general disdain for creamed corn haunts me.
This could be much elevated with corn straight off the cob, and the addition of cojita

To be fair, it tastes a lot like a white trash version of elotes. Which, I also like. Mom's dish isn't so much like actual creamed corn, though. It's not soupy, and the kernels aren't broken. But, I do think it would taste good using fresh corn off the cob, and maybe adding some crema to it for the tang. When I make it myself, I usually replace one jalapeno with a couple of serranos. Yep, this trashy dish is now being passed down.

Yeeeeeaaah. Now you're talking. If I replace the canned with fresh corn, the cream cheese with I crema, and throw in some cojita, that shit would be pretty cash.

Sounds like it was made with, you know, longing. Made by a person really longed to eat some shepherd's pie. Perhaps because they'd only heard of it by rough description.

Another word for mashed potatoes. In theory whipped potatoes have more air than mashed, but in practice they're pretty much identical.

lol, I remember that guy.

That really doesn't sound too bad to me.

I'm of Czech descent, and we used to eat tomato sauce instead of gravy with potatoes or dumplings all the time. It helps that tomato sauce is always around, but gravy you usually have to make (canned gravy is terrible).

This is what I assumed. I assumed there had to be some sort of cultural thread connecting it to SOMETHING.
But I don't know if anyone knows what the FLDS connects to back before Mormonism. That would be something interesting to research.

I don't have an answer to your question, but here's a picture of one of the early FLDS leaders with his youngest daughter.

The history of Mormonism is one of the strangest religious histories I can think of. And there are some pretty weird ones out there.

It makes sense. Same principle as adding a spoon of tomato paste to a chuck roast, adds some glutamates and tomato flavoring does go well with beef in general as you say (most proteins, really).

Got no money atm so I might try it soon.