A Veeky Forums friend of mine told me I was reading airport kiosk trash when he saw me reading pic related...

A Veeky Forums friend of mine told me I was reading airport kiosk trash when he saw me reading pic related. Was he right?

Duh yes

Your boyfriend is a pretencius faggot just like you.

Le Carré is good though. Sure it's not exactly highbrow, but who fucking cares

The Honorable Schoolboy sucks though.

You have a good friend.

he's the only good thing you'll find in airport kiosks. he's fucking excellent though, especially if you've forgotten to pack books for a long haul.

Le Carré is comfy, desu. Not everything has to be Nietzsche.

Yeah that's true. That one's not any good.

Le Carré is a lot of fun, and he's really quite a skilled writer. He's not trying to be highbrow so what does your friend's opinion matter?

>Sure it's not exactly highbrow, but who fucking cares

Sup reddit

>Not everything has to be Nietzsche.
>Nietzche
>highbrow

I've only ever listened to the radio plays of his major work (the Simon Russell Beale ones) and thought they were excellent.

Picked up a copy of Absolute Friends last minute for a long train journey a while back and didn't think much of it.

He was probably joking. The Karla trilogy is an unsurpassed commentary of cold war ideologies from the perspective of someone who worked with the INTELLIGENCE SERVICES. It had things to say about capitalism and communism, men and women (I'll just spell it out for the plebs in this thread: Connie Sachs was old Britain (her domain was remembering the past) and Ann Smiley was new Britain (what a whore)... it had something to say of the future of Britain and the western world (think of Smiley's character arc), and was pretty damn prophetic in that sense.

I think "Bad Reader" applies here. I don't think someone's a bad reader for not wanting to analyze a bad story, but this one was good. You have no excuse for not thinking about it. Maybe you're not a bad reader. Maybe you just don't care about even recent history, and the foundation of today's geopolitical scene. Fine. But the Karla Trilogy deserves to be part of the Western Canon.

It's not as good as Tinker Tailor or Smiley's People, but it's not bad.

Other than the ending, perhaps.

I haven't read that, but I've read (or started to read) a couple of his novels that were just so-so.

Tinker, Tailor is great, however.

He didn't say not everything has to be high brow. He said not everything has to be Nietszche, which Le Carre is demonstrably not.

Fucking pseud moron

>Has themes and therefore deserves to be part of the canon

Setting the bar pretty low there, user

>Reddit
You're as cancerous as poltards and frogposters.

Parts of it are some of the best things LeCarre has ever wrote, tho

>that paper trail chase
>the Phnom Phen flight
>the grenade ambush

but like said, the ending is disappointing

No, he sounds like a know it all, and you're a fool if you blindly follow the opinions of others.

>no George Smiley protagonist
>Karla is only tangentially related to the plot
>Westerby falls for this dumb broad and goes crazy

I skipped it on my reread. Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People almost work side by side.

>Connie Sachs was old Britain (her domain was remembering the past) and Ann Smiley was new Britain (what a whore)
]wow, thats pretty highbrow..

What does Le Carre say about capitalism and communism? That they are systematically oppressive in the same way? Oooh wow what amazing insight.