I fear people who have read the bible. Religion seems so crazy like believing in Santa or the Easter bunny...

I fear people who have read the bible. Religion seems so crazy like believing in Santa or the Easter bunny. I don't need the idea of Santa only giving presents to good kids to make me good I just do it because it's common sense. If I see someone wearing a cross I won't even talk to them. Thoughts on the bible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cvl_J_Qn5JM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My thought is you have never read it. Just read the gospels and make another thread. Like all 4. Shouldn't take more than four days.

It's a beautiful and important book, but probably not of any greater spiritual consequence than any comparative spiritual text. And indeed, if you look at everyone who's read and understood the bible, you can see plainly that it doesn't lead to good character with any real reliability. But then I suppose texts in general rarely alter a person's character.

>I fear people who have read the bible.

...why?

If you're such a brainlet that just READING something will make you believe it, then...I don't know what to tell you.

It's not even as if the Bible makes a great case for the existence of God. It's just a collection of rules, advice, and stories, more or less.

I feel bad for them for reading some of the worst prose of all time. Only the torture scenes are any good, for a single line at a time

The form of the Bible regards the form of life, which is necessarily represented through a certain pictorial content. The mistake people like Carlin makes is to only engage with the religion on the level of content, i.e. the "man in the sky", the "magician who gives out bread", and so on, and fails to understand them as myths and to relate them to the form of his conscious life.

The message depends on the person. I personally extracted two ethical rules from the bible myths that i find extremely beautiful and live by.

The first being the idea of eternal love. If God exists and is omniscient, then he knows the inner nature of every human, and also why they do the evil that they do, and therefore forgives every human for their sins (e.g. wrongdoings), 'cause in the end they can't help it. --> "To fail is to be human"

The second, being the christ myth, introduces us to the idea that humans can go through great pain and suffering and come out of it, not destroyed, be reborn as a better person. That if you willingly take on the pain and misery of being alive it will NOT destroy you and you will rise again, essentially "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

but you know, you could also read it very damning and homophobic, but then you'd be an asshole and a idiot IMO

I don't agree. In my experience people who have read the Bible and go to church are much closer with their families and kinder to strangers. They also seem to be less tainted not to put too fine a point on it. Like you would hardly expect a bible thumping Christian to be among us in this godless dump.

Bingo.

The older I get the less funny I find Carlin. How come?

Watch some of Jordan Petersons lectures on the Bible, i'm sure it will de-mystify it to a great extent

He acts like he is really smart by talking fast and calling out bullshit. When you're older you see that what he says is like an edgy teenager. You are smart enough to see through his facade.

Jej

Absolutely right. I used to like Eddie Murphy and Mitch Hedberg. I mean I still do but I used to, too

If you are curious about the form, then in general terms it is this:

Today we are unable to relate directly to one another because we -are- not one another; we are different selves and thus we can through this essential differentiation benefit against each other.

Both our desire and our intellect pull us away from realising our finitude and impermanence, the desire by supplanting understanding with pleasure and the pursuit of pleasure, and the intellect by proposing models which cover up the discrepancy between our finitude and that of which we are a part, in other words. So desire and intellect in their own way cover up the autonomy of other selves, and allow us to hurt one another and to disorganise society and prepare ruin for it.

We can theorise of a future in which this will be overcome. Such a society would entail us overcoming our otherness and see each other "face to face", i.e. recognise fully each others' autonomy.

Until such a time will come to pass we will follow certain virtues to overcome the potential problems which dseire and intellect -always- prepare for us. Thus the work of overcoming our shortcomings is never done, and "all are sinners" in so far as this work can never be completed, or in more philosophical terms, sin is a position rather than an act.

Speak for yourself. Veeky Forums is still the only place where I can find good memes and political info that isn't censored.

Lmao @ ur life mang

sounds sad

It's already too late. The Counter Revolution has begun.

youtube.com/watch?v=cvl_J_Qn5JM

Your grandmother wore miniskirts, your daughter will wear a nun's habit. #KingdomOfGod

Scathing criticism friend.

>I fear people who have read the bible. Religion seems so crazy like believing in Santa or the Easter bunny.

It seems like you are basing your understanding of Christianity on Evangelical Protestantism, if not a caricature of even that. There's no good reason to make the comparison otherwise and it comes off as absurd.

I want to see more of this.

I don't fear the people who've read the Bible, I fear FOR the people who've read the Bible. You should too, because they subjected themselves to the dullest book in the history of literature. Seriously, each episode following the fickle God and his chosen people as they fight assorted unbelievers has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the book's only consistency is its lack of excitement and ineffective use of prophecies, all to make miracles unmiraculous, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when God vetoed the idea of Satan directing the book; He made sure the book would never be mistaken for a work that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross promotion for His ideology. The Bible might be pro-Gnostic (or not), but it's certainly the most anti-Greek pantheon in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the prose was good though

No!

The writing is dreadful, the book was terrible.
As I read, I noticed that every time a character had a child, the author wrote instead that the character "begat". I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times.

I was incredulous. God's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that He has no other style of writing. Later, I read a loving, lavish review of the Bible by Joseph Smith. He wrote something to the effect of "if these kids are reading the Bible at 11 or 12, then when they got older they will go on to read golden plates". And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read the Bible, you are, in fact, trained to read Joseph Smith.

Only now I come to realize how fantastic the Bible is. You need to discard edgy anti-theism or dogmatic faith and just feel without bias the immense literary and spiritual value it holds. Is God a madman, surely he is. Are the rest of the guys there crazy too, yep. So what? Enjoy this chaos beautifully written. There is much to appreciate and much to learn.
I'm currently reading Isaiah in Hebrew (Jewfag) and I just burst with every line.

>Christophobic
Bigot

Why is this so funny?

You should read it, then you would feel a need to fear the unknown.

I fear the bible itself. Its cosmic horror. I read the thing. If its true we're all well and truly fucked. If its not its still the most morbid paranoia-inducing book I've ever laid eyes on.

Fucking hate the argument of "common sense is my moral guideline". Yeah, the human mind is so simplistic you can easily interpret right from wrong. It's self-evident isn't it? You wouldn't let a toddler drown would you? C.Hitches always argued - well monologued, since nobody ever argued against him- with such tangential examples. As if the world is so simple. What about two toddlers? Of which only one can be saved?
Fine, use your common sense then, and solve that trolley problem.

Save whichever one looks healthier and has the higher chance of survival

It's literally common sense

Just like a piece of fruit, you'd pluck off a tree, and leave the other wormy one to rot away. Reducing children to a piece of fruit. Common sense, really. We're both just skin and meat, combined with biochemichal processes that, ultimately, don't mean anything. Yes, I'll ignore all the variables and context of the situation and come to an easy solution to my problem. That'll work. Yes! Common sense! I am enlightened.

>taking the bible literally

dunce

If I had more variables and context, I'd have used them - you didn't give them in your hypothetical

>b-but muh speshal humans, we're so much more than skin and meat
Sad

I gave you all of them, you used healthy.

>dude you're supposed to magically have all the unspoken information at your disposal lmao

It's common sense, really.

A retarded retort doesn't become less retarded for being glib

His comedy hasn't aged very well. Check out Cosby or Pryor for the same; brilliant, engaging, socially relevant at the time... but very, very poorly aged.

is this bait? please return when you're over 18