I was so shocked today when I found out that Americans don't use electric kettles...

I was so shocked today when I found out that Americans don't use electric kettles, instead they use stove top kettles like it's the 1800s or something

Apparently it's because your electricity isn't as powerful

Is anyone else as flabbergasted as me

Stove top is better anyhow.

We have electric kettles but since we don't drink tea as often it's not necessarily worth the investment

Not getting enough (You)s on /int/, user? Keep your chin up. You're a good shitposter, this streak will break eventually.

damn then what was that device I used earlier this morning to make tea?

>Is anyone else as flabbergasted as me

No, because it's not my first day on Veeky Forums. Fucking bongs will find any possible stretch of a reason to act superior; but guess what, 'murricans don't drink tea constantly, so it's a pretty pointless appliance.

I know. I have an electric kettle that will shut off at 80, 85, 90 or 100 celsius depending on how I set it. Can't do that with a stovetop, and it changed my life.

Aren't you guys really into herbal teas though

And how do you boil water for coffee, does everyone just use coffee machines

I have an electric kettle for coffee, nobody uses it but me because they would rather heat water to tepid temperatures in the microwave in a goddamn plastic cup.

I keep telling my roommates that plastic cups leaches chemicals into the water and you need BOILING WATER to make herbal teas but they just tell me to fuck off.

Not really.

Most people who drink coffee regularly either use a coffee machine or just spend a couple extra minutes boiling water on the stove. I rarely drink coffee, but when I do I have a faucet in my sink that's connected to a water heater and dispenses close to boiling water instantly.

Seriously, most Americans consider an electric kettle a completely useless appliance, because we never need boiling water in 30 seconds.

>Electric kettles
>Stovetop kettles
I just use the goddamn microwave. Why would I want a device that only has one purpose?

They probably jerk off into your kettle when you're not home, too. Lots of people do it in motels, so somebody would have given them that idea by now.

it's transparent glass.
I also descale it regularly with lemon juice and water.

yeah, why would you want a knife? it's only purpose is to cut things

You can't see it when it dries so the transparency doesn't help, but cleaning the kettle regularly is a very good idea.

I just always keep one going on my wood stove.

> because we never need boiling water in 30 seconds.

I thought Americans loved convenience

Not when bongs think of it first. Then we never needed it anyway. U S A! U S A!

You can grind your coffee beans and prepare your French press or pour-over while the water boils; Americans don't drink instant coffee. Honestly, most Americans just use a shitty coffee pot or over pay for shitty Starbucks.

can openers.. toasters

I use an electric kettle t. Ameri

I use one every fucking day to boil water for coffee you dumbass

electric kettle is waste of money t. polack

How fucking long does it take for you to boil water on the stove?

longer than with a kettle t. Ameri

No it doesn't. I know most of you assholes wouldn't know thermal trans conductance or a BTU from a hole in the ground, but you're looking at a plug in kettle with a max 1500watt immersion coil vs a 2600watt coil sitting on the bottom of a piece of stainless steel.

There's next to no difference and most likely the big coil heating the metal will win. Faggoty plug in kettles, you might as well heat the water in a microwave. An actual gas stove would be faster and cheaper than all of those.

We actually microwave our water

Just went and timed it desu

4 cups of water

Electric kettle 3:42
Electric stove still working after 6:23, i think I'll just call it

Yeah I'll keep on using my kettle tyvm

For anyone stupid enough to think he's serious, don't try this. It's extremely dangerous and could send you to the ER depending on the wattage of your microwave.

>never need boiling water in 30 seconds
What about cup noodles?

>Electric whatchahoozits

Fuck off. Gas burning is always king. Fuck coffee makers, fuck "instant" pasta cookers, Fuck electric kettles, It's not fucking rocket science to put a pot of water on a burner and wait 5 minutes.

No gas here

Did you use the 'baby' burner or a big burner? A small stove electric burner is 1500watts, a large is 2600watts. Is the bottom of your stove kettle flat or warped?

I thought armish people weren't allowed to use the internet

I was going to ask this. I'm not even a britbong but just for making noodles it is convenient. I don't want to spend 10 minutes making something as silly as instant noodles

yet you sound like the mennonite for questioning the effectiveness of gas burners. this is what happens when you don't go to college for stem.

>cup noodles

I occasionally eat instant noodles, but definitely not the cup kind. Just further proof that electric kettles are for uni kids and anons with bad taste.

Cup noodles don't have to be crappy noodles in MSG-water, you know.

I've eaten tons of instant noodles, and the pour over kind are almost always shit. I really just don't understand the need to buy an entire appliance just in order to save a minute or two on boiling water. If I had a huge kitchen and didn't worry about money, sure, I'd probably buy one - but in general an electric kettle just seems stupid.

>Cup noodles don't have to be crappy noodles in MSG-water, you know.
They could also be fresh pasta in actual water instead of that cheap high sodium crap you scarf down.

>stove top kettles
No, Americans typically use microwaves.
Gas is still pretty common overall, but only in higher end housing, or older buildings. Most new buildings and most lower-end housing will have electric coil stoves since they're much, much simpler to put in.
>electricity isn't as powerful
That's a very oversimplified explanation, but basically, yes. Americans use 110V current while Yurop uses 220V.

I'm murrican and have a varied temp kettle but I use it for tea and instant noodles.
Then a regular shitty coffee pot for coffee.

I use a Keurig

There's a time and place for both, user.

So basically you're if Satan raped Lil Pump.

I thought you assholes called it 'pout noodoo' like a cockney asshole, when you talk about cup of noodles.

Don't you street people jibber in some terrible swine like brog pooo nooodooo.

You're barking up the wrong tree here guy. I'm an italian, not the british guy you were talking to.

>it exists so why don't you use it?
What is this, 1920's America?

How could you even have a cup of noodles in any Italian culture. You hate your family. I'm calling your mother

I make soft boiled eggs in mine at 75 Celsius

Wha? I was the one advocating pasta OVER Cup of noodles because its high sodium junk food. I've never in my life touched one of those infernal things.

>Buying a special machine just to heat water
Do you have an electric rolling pin and an electric bread knife too, Ian?

Sorry, you got caught in the crossfire. My bad. They are infernal. Sodium poisoning machines.

>I'm an Eetalian. I know my-a pasta! *pinches fingers together and flails wrists back and forth to mimic starving baby birds desperate for the scraps their sickly mother brings to them in her mouth, just like an Italian child would*
In all seriousness, fuck off with this meme. Everyone knows the Chinese perfected noodles long before your emaciated asses got to it.

>making tea directly in the kettle

Mate

>t. Australian
You are supposed to stick the teabag through the spout with the milk and then keep it there after brewing to season the pot. Take the teabags out with a soda spoon after four brews.

All these wannabe tea experts, I swear to fucking Christ. I bet you drink it black and call yourself enlightened.

You sound like a tool.

None of this post made any sense I'm freaking out

t. loose leaf drinking american

>he doesn't season his pots

The heck are you on about? Cup of noodles aren't chinese cuisine. They're cheap brand junk food. Not comparable to real egg noodles in the slightest.

That's because you're a generic internet fuck up. You like finding fault in others because you know you're a mistake.

A knife probably has more uses than any other object in your kitchen. You can chop, mince, dice, slice, fillet, julienne, mince, gut, zest, carve, open packages, cans and bottles, apply or remove string, peel, scale, spread toppings, shotgun a beer, skin, score, pick up pieces of food, pit and seed fruits, debone, butcher, crack shells and joints, eye potatoes, threaten your roommate if he tries to steal your food or fuck up your cookware. A knife has hundreds of uses.

Water take three minutes to boil in my microwave.

So stove top kettle's have other uses?...

No they don't, they're just a less efficient version of electric kettles

Also plenty of kitchen appliances only have one purpose. Do you think toasters are shit because you can only toast things with them?

Good God, no wonder Trump won, Americans have no grasp of logic

A stove top kettle isn't an appliance, and the alternative to a toaster is putting your bread in the oven, which is a waste of time and electricity. Also, most people use toaster ovens, which are definitely not unitaskers.

>appliance

Whatever word you use for it, a stove top kettle has the same amount of functionality as an electric kettle, but it is less efficient AT THE SAME JOB

No, the alternative to a toaster is TOASTING your bread over a fire on a stick, but we don't do that anymore BECAUSE WE HAVE ELECTRICITY NOW

> most people use toaster ovens

Evidence?

You can toast bread in a regular oven.

So do you toast your bread in a regular oven?

I dont own a toaster. So if I want toast thats what I do. I tried to use my fireplace once didnt work well.

Why are you so obsessed with using electricity?
Do you also rag on Americans for using gas ovens instead of microwaves?

americans are really into this "who's superior" "why do u think ur superior" civic rivalry horse shit when all OP really did was ask why the hell you retards don't use an electric kettle, most american chefs i meet are horrified at the fact that america doesn't have this basic appliance

This thread is made weekly to daily. Depending on its current popularity.

WHY THE FUCK DO CHEFS CARE HOW PEOPLE MAKE THEIR WATER HOT?
HOW CAN YOU BE SO OBSESSED? THIS IS LEGITIMATELY UNUSUAL.

>Why are you so obsessed with using electricity?

Because it's faster, better, more efficient than boiling water on a stove

Bullshit I live on Veeky Forums and this is the first I've heard of stove top kettles

>most american chefs i meet

Right now is most likely the first time you've ever come close to talking to an American chef; you're full of shit.

In all seriousness, this thread is fucking pointless. If you're too poor to afford a decent hot water heater capable of delivering boiling hot water within seconds, you have no place making fun of other people.

Do you own a fuzzy logic rice cooker?

just leave a fork or a knife in the dish for nucleation points