I have never heard of this man outside of Veeky Forums. How is he "in charge" of the Western Canon, exactly...

I have never heard of this man outside of Veeky Forums. How is he "in charge" of the Western Canon, exactly? How much power does he have, when all the books he hates are bestsellers and the books he loves are irrelevant?

Check the back of your books and you will find his name everywhere

>How is he "in charge" of the Western Canon, exactly?
He wrote half of the Harry Potter pasta.

Do you honestly believe, in the current date, that best sellersnare good books?

He isn't in charge of it, he is a meme that Veeky Forums likes because he loves literature for the aesthetic quality. Most critics now judge literature on moral and political grounds, Bloom is the last of his kind and it's a little sad.

Still he is not without flaw, his canon is missing a lot of prose writers

Yes. I enjoy them. I am not some pretensious snob like most of you guys

Do you accuse people who don't like Justin Beiber of being "pretentious snobs"?

This. He is the erudite every critic should be, not just some hack with an opinion

>bringing up justin beiber

are you stuck in 2009 dude?

Can you maybe make another post, but with an argument in it this time?

you first

Do you think people who don't like generic top40 pop music are "pretentious snobs" ?

If they go off and listen to /mu/ core yes

Does anyone seriously think he's anything outside USA?

He's pretty well known in the UK

The musical equivalent of literature would probably be contemporary classical or something like that. Is that what they listen to on /mu/? I don't go there so I wouldn't know.

>pretensious snobs
>pretensious

>b-but in places they don't read english literature they don't know him as much!

laughing at your life

This desu, no one mentions him, or even knows who he is, in the non-Anglo world

"I enjoy them so that means they are good, even if everyone with half a brain has solids arguments to deny they are. You are pretentious for not liking rupi kaur, too"
It's not about being "pretensious", is about not being retarded.

as a guy living in mexico, this is complete bullshit

>the non-Anglo world

>irrelevant

To what exactly? General public idiocy? Yes. Literature? No.

Are you in like every thread or what?!

He's a jew other jews have elected as the gatekeeper of European literary culture.

I'm an English undergraduate and I've had 3 different lecturers bring him, once about his anxiety of influence theory, and twice about his idea of Shakespeare inventing modern personality.

One of them called him a "clever, but silly critic" and I was ready to fight.

As a Scandinavian, I bring him up whenever I can

hahaha, good meme user

He desecrated DFW, that's enough for me.

kek'd