Cheap food

Poorfag here. What kind of food is tasty and cheap? Tired of pasta.

General poorfag recipes thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wiAcJYyLF8U
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYRx9e6PeSoLBdLm2b4hn_k4SUx02-IMO
twitter.com/AnonBabble

make poorfag chilli beans
Someone will probably give you recipes

Lentils

this peaked my interest

big bags of dried rice go a long way too, and are quite nutritious

instant ramen

Polish "Kotlet Mielony" aka Sznycel.

Get two pounds of cheapest ground meat (any). Mix with about the same amount of crumbs by volume. (may even use more crumbs). Add an egg, salt, black pepper, optionally garlic and onion. Mix, add enough water to make it easily malleable but not "flowing", form oblong patties like in the picture. Roll the patties in crumbs (no need for more egg, just use the moisture to get crumbs to stick), fry on medium heat in a small amount of oil.

You may eat it in a bun like a hamburger, hot or cold, or serve hot alongside some "filler" (potatoes etc.) and some greens as a main dish.

Cheap ingredients, quite filling and nutritious, and delicious; doesn't lose any value when frozen.

Don’t worry bro, Ramsay has this covered. “Cooking on a budget”...
youtube.com/watch?v=wiAcJYyLF8U
As you can see, you’ll be buying fresh lamb steaks, extra virgin olive oil, fresh herbs, king prawns and truffles. Hope that helps

nigga this is what I'm about. Thanks

This is true for pretty much any google search though.

Literally every ''cheap food'' recipe I find has a very liberal idea of what cheap is and assumes I just have obscure ingredients lying around the house already

Reminds me of Scotch Eggs, which could also belong in this thread.

Check out an article on Complete Proteins as well, vegetarians need them but everyone should know. Its just making sure you're getting all your amino acids even without meat, so shit like rice and beans and whole wheat toast with peanut butter.

I also like cous-cous, its even fucking easier than traditional pasta.

how is lamb meat on a budget?

Split pea soup is a personal favorite of mine. Although the ingredients to make one pot of it can be a bit spendy initially, you basically can eat off that pot for half a week, so it's not too bad.

What you'll need:
Water (enough)
Leftover rotisserie chicken or ham bone
Salt (to taste, I go around a teaspoon)
Pepper (to taste)
2 Medium onions
~2 cups split peas
1/2 cup Flour
~1 tbsp Garlic
1 cup Milk
1 stick butter

So here's what you do. Boil your leftover chicken/ham/turkey/whatever stewing meat you're using for about an hour to release all flavor into the water. Pull it out, then strip any meat you can with a fork, and set the meat aside. At this point you can toss the bones/tendons into the trash, you've got what you wanted from them. Add water until you hit a ~1.5 liter mark in your pot. Next chop your onions up and add them to the pot. Next add in your split peas. Cover and allow to boil. Now start in on creating a roux with your milk and butter. Then slowly whisk in your flour. Once you have a nice roux made, add in your garlic until it reaches a good consistency. Then add the roux into the soup kettle along with your meat. Let it simmer for a half hour or so, then serve. I like to pair it with a biscuit or toast, but to each their own.

Fry any vegetables
Put any stock pot with them + water

Red beans and rice (sausage/chicken optional)

1lb dried kidney beans
1lb rice (white short grain usually, any rice works really)
1.5tbsp cajun seasoning
2 bay leaves
2c chicken stock (homemade preferred)
1l water
3-4 cloves fresh minced garlic
1-2 whole white or yellow onions
1/2 stick salted butter
2lb cajun sausage (or chicken thighs, which are cheaper, and you can make the stock from the bones if you pull the meat)

Soak beans for at least 24hrs, until they are firm but not brittle. Once properly soaked, drain and rinse at least twice to avoid creating a colonic biohazard for the next 36 hours (rinsing gets rid of excess fiber). Pour chicken stock and water into boiling pot, bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add beans, 2tbsp butter, cajun seasoning, onions, garlic, meat and stir. Let simmer for at least 3 hours, until the beans have practically fallen apart. Steam your rice separately and freeze whatever beans you want to save. One batch has kept me fed and happy for about a week, ~$30 total cost

God damnit, i didn't proof-read:

put all the butter in the pot while simmering longside bay leaves

Chicken thighs
Beans
Rice
Pork Shoulder
Eggs
Bread
Ground beef
Potatoes
Spinach
Broccoli

i hate gordon ramsay that cunt
jamie oliver >>>>>>>>>

lots of old recipes from the depression and peasant food from the old country teach you to make more with less and to use all parts of the food instead of throwing it away.

You could either learn to cook a few simple dishes from scratch or you could learn to love dollar tree like the rest of this board.
>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYRx9e6PeSoLBdLm2b4hn_k4SUx02-IMO

Just start by making combinations of the following, frozen meat and veggies, bags of potatoes, rice, beans, & onions, bouillon cubes, a couple spices (garlic, ginger, parsley, & cayenne go with everything), and an assortment of sauces. Get cheap cuts of chicken like quarters and get frozen ground meat in a tube. You can get away with just throwing everything in a slow cooker for a lot of meals.

1. Get a slowcooker
2. get reduced
3. mix that shit

alternatively ramen is good

Boiled potatoes
Peel potatoes
Quarter them
Boil in a pot for 20 min

Whole chicken is cheap per pound

Separate parts with knife ( see YouTube)
Boil carcass for stock
You can either fry, bake or grill the breasts, wings, and leg quarters

Poorfag, listen to me; learn to cook and shop decently and you can stretch a budget very very far.
1-Whole chickens are crazy cheap and once you learn to bone them decently they are good for about 6-8 meals (2*breast with a side, 2*legs 1*wings and soup from the carcass)
2-Frozen veg in the UK at least is largely a con. Frozen onions are double the price, and taste like shit. Frozen carrots too. Also you can't control the cuts you want and they fuck up basically all your recipes. The exception are peas. Buy small amounts fresh and always loose and use them all in something, just don't be an idiot and let them go off.
3-Learn what kinds of meat are cheap and if you can, find a butcher. Learn about chuck, brisket, flank and round beef.
4-Tinned Beans can round out so much of your diet. They are cheap as shit and you can do anything with them. Same with pulses and lentils.
5- Buy some cheap flour and yeast. Flour is fucking useful but more importantly: Baking your own bread is cheaper, makes your house smell great, is zen as fuck, is a pretty good arm workout, and will net you chicks. It's takes 5 loaves to get better than store bought.
6-No fucking sugary drinks, no fucking crisps, no fucking biscuits or snacky bullshit. Really expensive, don't fill you up, and turn you into amerimutt level diabetards.
7-Tinned tomatoes are cheap as shit, and really useful.
Beef brisket braised in tomato with stock with a large onion and two sticks of celery is a fucking feast and will sort you 2-3 meals. It's about £6.
8-Don't worry too much about herbs and stuff, salt and black pepper will get you far. If you really want herbs, learn which ones you and get a little growing pot. I grow Thyme, mint, basil (wouldn't recommend, it's a bastard to keep alive) and oregano. They are about a £1.50 a pot.

9-Budget tea is fucking lifesaver. If you are hungry, drink tea and the hunger is gone. If you want a sugar twat drink, drink tea and feel healthier and more sophisticated. If you are tired, drink tea. If you are lonely drink tea. There's a reason the British empire made itself insolvent by buying tea, you can run a hundred countries on the stuff. I use the bags twice like a nonce.

i lold

>peeling the potato
fag

Breakfast:
>Sausage Hash >£1
Fry 2 sausages in bacon fat or lard or butter, remove when nearly perfect and chop into 4cm chunks
Return to pan and add one rough diced white onion. Fry until onion light brown.
Grate a dry potato over the pan, fry until cooked, stirring and mixing.
Make a small well, crack in one large egg. Either fry or grill until complete

>Budget Mex Brex £1+
Fry 1/2 onion with a clove of garlic in a dab of oil till tender. Add 1/2 tin of tomatoes pan. Add chopped chillies or chilli flakes and plenty ground pepper. Add chorizo if feeling rich. reduce a bit.
Make a well in tomato, crack in an egg and poach it.
Squish half a lime over the top, serve with toast or tortilla idgaf.

>Family recipe kathi rolls £1.5
get a hold some decent chapatti.
Fry 1/2 onion with thumb of ginger, sliced, 2 cloves of garlic until golden. Add green chillis, the more the better.
Add small cubes of off cut meat; mutton is best. Fry a little more.
Turn off heat and add a handful of chopped coriander/dried coriander. Stir a lot.
Transfer to chapattis and add a crumble of paneer or cottage cheese. Wrap up tight and stick a toothpick through it.

Teach him how to make a nice and cheap chili
That's one the of most basic poorfag foods

Cheap as fook chili:
Fry one red onion and one green pepper in oil till soft, add two teaspoons chilli flakes
Add 400g mince and fry lightly till brown. Add 400g tinned tomatos, and 400g beans, cook thoroughly for 1/2 hour, mash down till texture is right.
For slightly less poorfaggotry add bay leaf with the tomato, and coriander and lime juice at the end.

Chicken thighs are cheap as fuck most of the time. I just picked up 5 pounds for 7 bucks the other day.

Then just get some beans and rice. Lentils are good too.

>assumes I just have obscure ingredients lying around the house already
Fucking this.

>lamb
>budget

Beans, rice, pasta, chicken, butter, spices, produce, are the things you should try and work into your arsenal.

>If you are hungry, drink tea and the hunger is gone.
Explain

>cooking on a budget for upper class/rich people
I like Ramsay and all, but what the fuck...Has this dude ever been lower class or poor in his life? Genuinely curious about that.

If you've ever read Hatchet, you essentially trick your stomach into feeling full by filling it with water. It takes away the sharpness of the hunger pains.