ITT: Your Personal 10/10s

ITT: Your Personal 10/10s.

Sure, others won't agree with you, but who cares? It's your personal 10/10 and that's all that matters. What's the book or books that's perfect in your eyes, Veeky Forums?

Long classic novels seem to really win me over.

This book has made me cry multiple times before I even reached halfway (books never make me cry but this really has managed to take the cake for me). The focus on poverty, plight, struggling underclasses, bad childhoods, redemption, overcoming these problems, etc. Plus, Jean Valjean is someone we should all strive to be like - we're not perfect and we've likely done some dreadful shit in the past, but we can improve and become better. The first time Jean Valjean meets little Cosette and tells her to go and play fucking destroyed me.

> set in english rural countryside, inspired by actual locations you can visit
> inspired by stories about rabbit societies that the author told to his daughters
> explores authentic rabbit hierarchies and behaviours and uses that to build its own world of rabbit folklore, dictatorships, in-warren conflicts, art, poetry, leadership, friendship, companionship, family, life and death
> philosophy and war with rabbits

Genuinely one of my favourite books.

Mishima - The Sea of Fertility tetralogy (Spring Snow/Runaway Horses/The Temple of Dawn/The Decay of the Angel)

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

pic unrelated

No doubt, hands down a perfect novel. It's hilarious and tragic in equal amounts with genuine chemistry and friendship between the central characters as well as some very detailed backstories and digressions that are surprisingly just as fun as the rest of the book.

I cried when Don Quixote and Sancho Panza couldn't continue their misadventures as shepherds.

>classic
Moby Dick
>contemporary
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

unironically, don't care for it's prose or message but only for it's power

god sake, 5 posts in at its all well known classics, fuck off lit you unimaginative dickholes.

The possibility of an Island really touched me, specially when it deals with love. Also Demons from Dosto is a classic, but I loved it.

> well known classics can't be personal 10/10s
> waah why do people have different opinions from me
> I won't contribute with my own 10/10s, moaning like a spoilt child is more of a contribution

Suck my dick, faggot

Please enlighten us with your contribution

i have it on kindle, is it hard to read or follow? I don't like really abstract writing.

Gulliver's Travels

This one, the fucker is just too good, and it gets better the older you are.

Why do you think they are "well know classics" you tard?

No, user. It's not abstract in the slightest. It's a little meta on its humour at first (it's written as if Don Quixote is a historical memoir and there's definitely some humorous moments where Cervantes is complimenting the historians and translators of the history of Don Quixote i.e. himself).

Part two of the book was written after someone had written an unofficial sequel to Cervantes' first part, so the second part of the book offers a lot of insults and put-downs towards the unofficial sequel. Other than that, you really don't need to know much about the book going into it. It's a string of fun misadventures with a madman and a greedy little man who is loyal to the very end.

I always thought the "people of Veeky Forums don't read" was just a meme

grrr le no pussy boy lmao he uncle worked at the transformers movie

Maybe if you read them sometime you'd realise why they were held in such high regard.

You have to be a special kind of cunt to come into a personal 10/10 thread and try to ruin it. Good luck in life, kid.

Agreed

My pick would be Tristram Shandy, there isn't a better novel in the English language.

Any other books like this?

The trilogy taken together.

cool thanks

how is this not just terry pratchett in a tin foil hat

Because it's not fantasy.

It's not even fiction. What book were you reading?

I have not yet read a 10/10. closest have been The Recognitions, Moby Dick, Ulysses, Divine Comedy

still nothing perfect.

> it's not even fiction

lmao alright then

Well fuck you too.

for how much fun I had reading it (and probably a lot of circumstance comes into play too, as when I first read it I was on an amazing holiday sailing by myself around italy), the count of Monte Cristo

others that have come close:

will self - Dorian (I don't even think it's all that good, but I really enjoyed it)
Malcolm Lowry - under the volcano

The Count of Monte Cristo. Although, I admit, I have a special attachment to that book because of childhood memories.

user, let's get married RIGHT NOW.

G?

Of course not, but I'll go gay for you —you got excited for a bit there, didn't you?—.

GP? My spider senses are tingling...

This book is perfect in my eyes.
There are a lot of better and greater books but this book is perfect in its own way.

It's so original and the tone of it, the story of it... it's also very easy to read since it has no secrets in the story where you have to jump to a hidden number.
I read it when I was a kid and it stuck with me forever.

dis

What's a GP?

Never mind.

I reckon those were someone's initials. Very narrow odds there. Unless you meant the swedish newspaper Göteborgs-Posten or Gay Pride.

Narrow odds... But at least I tried goddamnit. At least I tried.

Oh yeah! I'd say OFotCN is pretty close to a 10/10 for me.

>OFotCN
Damn you, user. That one I enjoyed too. Stop encouraging this doomed relationship.

i have read them you dumb fuck, im probably better read than 90 percent of Veeky Forums, but in a thread about recommending a personal 10/10 having people then recommend some of the most highly regarded books in history is obviously a fucking waste of time. no shit obviously middlemarch and don quixote are good, fucking wow, fuck off you pathetic wanker.

>they're out there. Black boys in white suits up before me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up before I can catch them.

>mostly, I'd just like to look over the country around the gorge again, just to bring some of it clear in my mind again. I been away a long time.

Aren't they just fucking incredible opening and closing lines for a novel? His writing is so good. Do you know much about his conception of the story and characters? Apparently took place during "isolation", a practice in his gang of merry pranksters of going alone into an old wooden shed and staying there for days on lsd by oneself.

>im probably better read than 90 percent of Veeky Forums
Lol

Ursula LeGuin's The Dispossessed.

Perfect story, really well told. I don't know if anyone here will agree, because the anarchist ideas are too much for many, but it speaks to me as I had a somewhat similar experience growing up and sometimes feel like Shevek, a stranger in a strange land.

Came to post this.

Not really. Most of it is actually straightforward description of things that Quixote & pals do, topped with the occasional paragraph of purple prose. You might not get all the jokes, though — lots of them are puns in Spanish or references to other chivalry novels. If you haven't already, pick up an edition with good foot/endnotes.

what translation/edition does /shlit/ approve of?

This book made me hate myself.

Anna Karenina
The Brothers Karamazov
Don Quixote.
I'm also very fond of The Savage Detectives and Borges's short stories

>LOTR and The Hobbit
>every Sherlock Holmes story, especially A Study in Scarlet
Just comfy shit from my childhood, really.

> angry that 10/10 lit is people's 10/10

Stay autistic, faggot

That pic related preserves the text completely

Same but with books from my teenage years. Camus - The stranger, Orwell - 1984, Fitzgerald - The great Gatsby, Hemingway - The sun also rises.

Not because of literary merit but because I feel nostalgia when I read them. Comfy with hot coffee in bed.

>Malone Dies
>JR
>Inferno, Purgatorio
>Hamlet
>As You Like It
>Illuminations
>3/4 of Ulysses
>Aeneid
> O V I D
>uh lemme get ugh Il Convivo
>Plato's Mistress
>De Anima

The Iliad
The Three Musketeers
The Savage Detectives
Siddartha
Life is Dream
The Brothers Karamazov
Satan's Diary
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
One Hundred Years of Solitude
A Hero of Our Time
War and Peace
Jane Eyre
The Sound and the Fury
East of Eden
The Time of the Hero
The Green House

>i have read them you dumb fuck, im probably better read than 90 percent of Veeky Forums, but in a thread about recommending a personal 10/10 having people then recommend some of the most highly regarded books in history is obviously a fucking waste of time. no shit obviously middlemarch and don quixote are good, fucking wow, fuck off you pathetic wanker.

Oh yeah, this is that good cringe that I come here for

are sherlock books readable by adults too? In that I mean interesting and not at an infantile reading difficulty

I don't have 10/10s or even 9/10s. I'm likely a huge cynic and fucking hate myself for it.

I don't know if I've ever even "loved" a book. Most recent book I thought was alright by my own right and not influenced by other people was A Secret History

Rupetta by N A Sulway is a little-known but excellent book. From the back:

Four hundred years ago, in a small town in rural France, a young woman creates the future in the shape of Rupetta. Part mechanical, part human, Rupetta’s consciousness is tied to the women who wind her. In the years that follow she is bought and sold, borrowed, forgotten and revered. By the twentieth century, the Rupettan four-fold law rules everyone’s lives, but Rupetta—the immortal being on whose existence and history those laws are based—is the keeper of a secret that will tear apart the world her followers have built in her name.

Seriously try some books by Robert Anton Wilson.

There are lots, so it gets repetitive. The ones that hold up are the big ones like the mark of the four, or the baskersville's hound

>the baskersville's hound

War and Peace DESU

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch taught my edgy teenage self to despise my teachers a bit less and generally impacted my life a lot, 10/10 for me.

wuthering heights

I also loved Bartleby the Scrivener and The Stranger I was a real depressed edgy moron, that being said, Mark Twain's short stories are really good, plus for me Moby Dick until they get on the boat. After that I got distracted and quit.

> The Iliad

My nigga. It feels like everyone else is too busy complaining about the lists and ship catalog that they don't ever really come to appreciate the poem for the power it truly has. It made me cry by the end.

You're probably not allowed outside without permission I bet.

What kind of books do you tend to read, user? Not to be a dick about it but maybe you've just read shitty books

Please finish reading Moby Dick one day. You won't regret it, it's immensely rewarding, satisfying, beautiful and tragic.

Genuinely dying to read this. Going to dive into it this Autumn after the book I'm currently reading, I hear it's perfect for this time of year.

Literally nobody said you had to be creative in your choice of favourites. It's about personal 10/10s, not obscure ones. Get your head out of your ass.

L.F.Celine - Journey to the End of the Night
L.F.Celine - Death on Credit
F.Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces
Hubert Selby Jr. - Last Exit to Brooklyn

Also:
Kenzaburō Ōe - Teach Us to Outgrow Our Madness

To be honest, I hated it for the first hundred pages; almost put it down. But I was on a long flight and kept with it because I had nothing else to do. Then it started to get so good. Probably the only book I've laughed out loud on multiple times. And then the clusterfuck of a humorous ending, mixed with the war in between and the comfy characters dying. Beautiful book.

I hear it contrasts well from very funny to devastatingly disturbing.

>Inferno and Purgatorio
>no Paradiso

hey senpai, what the fuck is wrong with you???

Book of Thel by William Blake