Steak Thread

Post your best steaks and your favorite cuts

I cooked this steak earlier tonight. How'd I do?

It was a 2.5 lb ribeye which, for me, is the best cut

Was pretty happy with the sear

I don't have a grill, so I'm stuck with cast iron and oven. Do you guys do sear first, then cast iron in the oven, or I've read some steak recipes (cooks illustrated, specifically) where they suggest having the steak in the oven to come to temp, then sear after?

OP here. The latter is called the reverse sear method and that's what I did

thanks.

also, is there any utility to "basting" (scooping oil from pan and dumping on the steak) while searing? I read someone talking about that as well, seemed kinda unnecessary.

last question: would you use ghee or other clarified butter? I love the taste of butter and steak and while I know the cooking gets too hot for regular butter, maybe something like ghee would work?

Looks good but a little higher heat for the sear to reduce the sear line. It's a little more done than I like, but personal preference. I typically sear first. If you are adding any herbs, butter, or sauce, it's nice to do at the end on a lower temp anyway. Searing after is really only needed when you're doing something like sous vide.

made muh mouth water

>I don't have a grill, so I'm stuck with the best possible method for cooking steak

highest heat, thicc pan, room temp steak, flip every 30 seconds, rest 10 min

STOP OVER THINKING IT

I just cant eat raw/red meet. the amount of diseases you can get by doing so is insanely high. I dont doubt it taste better, but I'm not risking it.

I find ribeyes too fatty for my tastes. Dont like the feel of the fat in my mouth.

I'm a pretty big fan of these dry aged rib eye steaks I do up at my work place, shame about the retail price,

I'm craving a good arrachera with lotsa guacamole

>Flip every 30 seconds

You don't need to keep playing with it if you have a good cut.

Flipping repeatedly improves the sear and reduces the ring of well-done meat beneath the crust. Sounds like bullshit, but you should try it

yeah nah, this method actually works

Fantastic job, user. On the topmost half, the sear is so well defined that it seems like it might shatter after a bite. Only thing is, I can't tell how well the fat was rendered; if it was too high a heat (or too thicc a gristle), it might still be solid.
>9/10, would pay a healthy sum

>canned green beans
lmfao

Looks more like Surf and Turd

disgustingly overcooked

Got my hands on a nice rump from Argentina last week it was really good.

I've been cooking steaks with cast iron for a little while now and I seem to get inconsistent results

what's your method?